Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Stevenson
Black water tank leak

recently (within the last year) we have upgraded to a newer Shasta Revere and have enjoyed many times. but have recently discovered a small leak at the elbow just before the pull valve. decided to take it in for some warranty work. and this was there solution; a rubber sleeve with two large hose clamps and what they say a special epoxy between the rubber and the pipe. i was expecting more of a elbow replacement and reseal at the joints. i guess this is what they consider acceptable work. oh by the way i got grey handles for both black and grey water tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	184992  
2017 Shasta Revere 29rk
Jim Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

Color doesn't matter, both mine came black. As for repair, about how they work!
Old 08-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #3

i only mentioned the color because it was showing the Grey handle in the picture and i was talking about the black. yea it is the same valve.
2017 Shasta Revere 29rk
Old 08-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #4

I just thought I would let others that are new that the color doesn't always match the function.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stevenson View Post
recently (within the last year) we have upgraded to a newer Shasta Revere and have enjoyed many times. but have recently discovered a small leak at the elbow just before the pull valve. decided to take it in for some warranty work. and this was there solution; a rubber sleeve with two large hose clamps and what they say a special epoxy between the rubber and the pipe. i was expecting more of a elbow replacement and reseal at the joints. i guess this is what they consider acceptable work. oh by the way i got grey handles for both black and grey water tanks.
I wouldn't accept that repair, it equals to a band aid, they should have replaced that fitting or line. Also I bet they had to split that boot to get it around the pipe, very mickey mouse repair.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Not an acceptable repair
2013 35 nights, 2014 105 nights, 2015 123 nights, 2016 18 nights 🙁
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #7

They look like furnco couplings. Used all the time in residential construction. It may actually be better than rigid glued replacement. You now have flex at those 2 joints. Google furnco and see.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

That would be Fernco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
They look like furnco couplings. Used all the time in residential construction. It may actually be better than rigid glued replacement. You now have flex at those 2 joints. Google furnco and see.
That would be Fernco.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I wouldn't accept that repair, it equals to a band aid, they should have replaced that fitting or line. Also I bet they had to split that boot to get it around the pipe, very mickey mouse repair.
Id be heppier with the repair than the hard pipe. IT was probably vibration that cracked the original. With the rubber ELL it will flex, not crack and should not leak again.

Those rubber couplings are referred to as a "Fernco" in the plumbing business. They work VERY well.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Hubless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Those rubber couplings are referred to as a "Fernco" in the plumbing business. They work VERY well.
In the Midwest we always called it a "hubless."

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

I guess you missed the part were the op stated they put some sealant over the fitting then put that over the repair. So the hard pipe is still there plus they would need to split it to rap around the pipe, it is not used for what it was designed to do in plumbing where they do work well. This is how dealers get by with crap work, it's the same as a BANDAID, I still would never except that repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Id be heppier with the repair than the hard pipe. IT was probably vibration that cracked the original. With the rubber ELL it will flex, not crack and should not leak again.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

I just replaced mine because I had some water in it over the winter. It was difficult to replace due to tight fit. Turns out adapter on valve was cracked as well as the pipe. Do not blame them for fixing it that way but I would not be happy with it.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #13

Typical shady dealership repair job. But then again it probably matches the factory plumbing really good.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #14

As others have said, if it is a Fernco, it may be better than the OEM job. To get the Fernco on, they would likely have cut the pipe and slipped the Fernco over one side and worked it over to the other side making it even. Again, it offers flexibility that may be beneficial later on if other work is required.

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #15

Maybe people should read the first statement, on how they repaired it. There's nothing wrong with the boot only used in the right application, the dealer didn't use it that way. How can anyone defend that?
Quote:

Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #16

since we have had it, i managed to put about three gallons of fresh water into the black water tank, and let it sit for a couple days. Just like a band-aid there is wet moisture around the bottom edges. we got two more trips this season, and we are still awaiting parts for an awing warranty repair, i will sure tell them that they need to fix it properly.
2017 Shasta Revere 29rk
Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #17

Your spot on , the STEALER did a garbage repair, that line should have been cut off and replumbed. I'm glad your not going to let them get away with it. If there were more people like you and people wouldn't accept unconventional repairs that make it easy for them but you will live with it dripping the rest of your ownership, the industry will never change, and people wounded why, what a joke....good luck and happy travels...

Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
...we are still awaiting parts for an awing warranty repair, i will sure tell them that they need to fix it properly.
Don't wait to "tell them"...

Let them know right now so that they can get parts ordered to fix it right.

And also let Forest River know of your warranty repair request for both items and tell your dealership that you have contacted FR and they are awaiting a call for a parts order.

Otherwise, they (dealership) will most likely drag their feet on ordering parts until the last possible moment.

By the way...have they ordered the parts for your awning repair yet?

I learned my lesson the hard way and will no longer leave my RV at a dealership or repair shop from the time they diagnose to actually doing the work.

They'll tell you it will take two or three weeks...but might keep it two to six months!

Let them get all of the parts around so that you can take your RV there and get it fixed on your schedule...

Not theirs...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #19

i have two more trips to do this season, one next week and one more on October, then back to the dealer for repairs, might end up with several months of free storage there while awaiting for parts. leaving room on property here to park my other vehicles during snow storms.
2017 Shasta Revere 29rk
Old 09-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #20
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
i have two more trips to do this season, one next week and one more on October, then back to the dealer for repairs, might end up with several months of free storage there while awaiting for parts. leaving room on property here to park my other vehicles during snow storms.
Free ain't always free!

Earlier in this thread I talked about some friends of mine that did the same thing, and when they finally went to get their 5'ver before their first spring trip they found a huge hole in the front of their RV.

Well, just spoke to some other friends of mine this morning and guess what...same thing just happened to them!

And also guess what...the dealers aren't responsible for damage to your RV while in their lot!

And another also guess what...dealers both claimed they knew nothing about the damage, even though they probably did it!

Just a warning NOT to rely on your dealership for free storage...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, leak, tank, water, water tank