Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #11

On my 2011 Rockwood 2902SS I had trouble with the black tank emptying. I looked up the black tank pipe with a flashlight and the glue that they used for the PVC pipe had dripped across the pipe and hardened in place, looked like 3 pieces of hard plastic strings the size of pencils. I used a stick to break the glue strings and I don't have a problem dumping the tank anymore.

Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Not to irk Jim, (and I apologize if I do) but I think that the problem is in the tank and not the toilet. I am working on the assumption that your toilet is a standard RV toilet (Like a Thetford). There is no trap built in to the toilet. It just has a sealing valve that opens when you flush and closes when it is not flushing.

My money is on solids build up at the dump valve. As you can see from the photo of a 5th wheel's black tank (the one on the right) The vent is the small opening on the right and the "hopper" outlet goes into the larger opening to the left of the smaller opening. The dump valve goes on the big hole in the center of the tank.

For your toilet to have black water in it, the tank has to be full to the toilet. Opening the dump valve and only letting out a small amount of water is a story that we have seen before here. It was solids blocking the large discharge pipe. The Digest it will soften and liquefy poo and TP allowing more water to flow past the blockage. Hopefully one treatment will be all you need, but I think you might need two to clean out that tank. Once you are back in business, use the GEO method (attached) to keep that tank running like it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091059.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	7854  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thetford AQUA MAGIC V 06_42088A_033009.pdf (509.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: txt geomethod.txt (15.8 KB, 80 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
On my 2011 Rockwood 2902SS I had trouble with the black tank emptying. I looked up the black tank pipe with a flashlight and the glue that they used for the PVC pipe had dripped across the pipe and hardened in place, looked like 3 pieces of hard plastic strings the size of pencils. I used a stick to break the glue strings and I don't have a problem dumping the tank anymore.
Another great tip.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #14

I had an extremely slow draining black tank after one outing. When I finally felt safe to take a look with the valve open, I saw a round cut out covering the opening almost perfectly. It looks like they cut a hole in the tank to mount the discharge pipe but didn't remove the cutout and left it in the tank. I'd tried getting it out, but it fell back. Luckily it hasn't caused any more problems. This was about (2) years ago.
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #15

Been There, Done That....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rain-7821.html

Black holding tank will not drain

See my thread above, I was in the same situation you are in, RV Digest it and then a professional tank cleaning service was called.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #16

I got it to drain. The tank was empty, but the toilet full. I used a HD snake, not the small hand held one. There is a 90 deg turn below the toilet, going into the tank.

As soon as the snake made the turn, it would stop. Solid. I worked the snake pretty hard. Hitting the stop. Did not want to break anything. FINALLY, it broke thru. Black water drained out of the toilet, and you can clearly see the 90 deg turn at the bottom.

Opened the drain valve, and about 3-4 gal came out. Flushed well with water down the toilet, seemed fine.

I think some "crud" had dried at the bottom of the 90 deg turn, and sealed it up. Maybe some glue too?

I am going to use the RV Digester when it comes, and let it set.

MP
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Wow. What rocket scientist put a 90 degree turn in a soil pipe?

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #18

glad u found it. there must have been a reason for the 90 but that isn't good practice.

my concern was that if the plug turned out to be between the tank and the toilet, the digester could build pressure in that area. if the toilet valve were closed, that could result in the water being forced out around the seal next to the flange (worse case). didn't know if the seal next to the flange or the seal going to the toilet would be the week link.
if the tank were plugged, was the vent also blocked...there were too many variables. i'm not comfortable with that many unknowns.

on mine, when the tank is close to full, the commode flushes by hesitating until air comes up then the water rushes down. i'm wondering if my inlet line is extending into the tank some (as some have reported finding on their motorhomes).
Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #19

[QUOTE=herk7769;129931]Not to irk Jim,

I didn't take it that way. to me it is more a guessing game. you (and most on here) have a wealth of experience to draw on and i appreciate that.
i have down loaded a number of ur pfd post. found them to be well thought out and helpful.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Wow. What rocket scientist put a 90 degree turn in a soil pipe?
I agree 100%!

MP

Tags
black water