Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Black water tank troubles

My gauges are not working properly

Somewhere here...I've read about adding Cascade dishwasher pods with your normal pod

Let set until pods dissolve. Flush.... And this process show thoroughly clean

Accepting all advice

Thanks

Bryan, Vonnie & Pepper
2012 378 Georgetown

Sent from my iPad
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
I owe it all to bacon.

There are several threads on this issue. I have read RV Digestit works well. Others use dish or clothes washing detergent and Calgon water softener. The idea is to get all the crud cleaned off the sensors. If you pull the camper the sloshing of a partially filled, soapy, tank is supposed to clean everything. Pull up some of the threads under waste or black tank cleaning and read up on it. It all depends on what you want to do and feel comfortable with. Good luck, safe travels.
Eklc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklc View Post
There are several threads on this issue. I have read RV Digestit works well. Others use dish or clothes washing detergent and Calgon water softener. The idea is to get all the crud cleaned off the sensors. If you pull the camper the sloshing of a partially filled, soapy, tank is supposed to clean everything. Pull up some of the threads under waste or black tank cleaning and read up on it. It all depends on what you want to do and feel comfortable with. Good luck, safe travels.

Guess I need to know how to pull up threads????

Thank you

Bryan, Vonnie & Pepper
2012 378 Georgetown

Sent from my iPad
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Hello. I did what I read somewhere.... I put 10 lbs. or so of ice in my black tank with some water or poo or whatever is in there... and drove around a bit. It fixed mine. Just my two cents.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgrandpa1 View Post
Guess I need to know how to pull up threads????

Thank you

Bryan, Vonnie & Pepper
2012 378 Georgetown
In the menu bar close to the top of the page, you'll see "Portal" "User CP (Control Panel) " "Library" etc etc then you'll see "Search."

Click search and type in key words like "black water tank flush" or "black water tank issues."

You should get some results of threads with those words in it. If you don't click the word search, you can click the down arrow next to it and then click "advanced". You can narrow it down to titles only or key words in threads. I've been on forums for years and years and the search button has very rarely worked great at best. If you don't find it here, you can probably go to google.com and search for "black water tank flush" and hit threads from this as well as other forums.

Hope that helps.

I just bought one of these to use while dumping. While your black dump is open, it shoots pressurized water into the tank and should help wash the walls down where the sensors are depending on how you mount it. I haven't installed it yet since my TT is at the dealer for warranty work, but I will be putting it in soon.

Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection - Camco 40126 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Thanks all...

Bryan, Vonnie & Pepper
2012 378 Georgetown

Sent from my iPad
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #7

We have a reverse flush that came installed with our 2015 trailer and no matter how long we leave it spraying there are always 'bits' coming out. In our old trailer we had a spray w d we put down the toilet after the initial drain and although more cumbersome in ways, it did a vang up job... We are considering buying another as we unfortunately got rid of the old one when we purchased the new trailer...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leateix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leateix View Post
We have a reverse flush that came installed with our 2015 trailer and no matter how long we leave it spraying there are always 'bits' coming out. In our old trailer we had a spray w d we put down the toilet after the initial drain and although more cumbersome in ways, it did a vang up job... We are considering buying another as we unfortunately got rid of the old one when we purchased the new trailer...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Are you using the black tank flush with the valve open or closed? When I first started I was leaving it open and like you found it was taking forever to rinse. Now I close the valve for a little bit, until the tanks 1/2 full or so, and then open it up again so the "bit's" that are now hopefully floating can easily make their way out of the tank.

I had to use that method this past camping trip when my 4 year old thought it was ok to flush his underwear.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
I owe it all to bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

Are you using the black tank flush with the valve open or closed? When I first started I was leaving it open and like you found it was taking forever to rinse. Now I close the valve for a little bit, until the tanks 1/2 full or so, and then open it up again so the "bit's" that are now hopefully floating can easily make their way out of the tank.

I had to use that method this past camping trip when my 4 year old thought it was ok to flush his underwear.
I'm sorry. Although it must have been terrible for you it did make me laugh.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
"Son, it is NOT ok to flush the evidence when you shart yourself." I can see me having this talk with my 5 yr old son now.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklc View Post
I'm sorry. Although it must have been terrible for you it did make me laugh.
I was fretting a trip to the dealers to have the underbelly and tanks dropped to get them out. Then I was thinking maybe I'll see if I could have got that on the maintenance list for Goshen. But it all came out in the end.

It could have been a lot worse though. He had also flushed his nighttime pull-up, but thankfully that caught just below the valve and never entered the tank. With the help of my wife's teenage niece, who surprisingly volunteered, we were able to retrieve that one.

Let's just say we've had many a discussion with my son since then about what is or isn't appropriate to put into toilets.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
But it all came out in the end.
I'm laughing....again. LOL
Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
I owe it all to bacon.

Quote:

I was fretting a trip to the dealers to have the underbelly and tanks dropped to get them out. Then I was thinking maybe I'll see if I could have got that on the maintenance list for Goshen. But it all came out in the end.

It could have been a lot worse though. He had also flushed his nighttime pull-up, but thankfully that caught just below the valve and never entered the tank. With the help of my wife's teenage niece, who surprisingly volunteered, we were able to retrieve that one.

Let's just say we've had many a discussion with my son since then about what is or isn't appropriate to put into toilets.
Well, I'm glad it worked out. I did not enjoy a similar discussion with my 11-13 year old daughter and friends..... safe travels.

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank