Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I blow all of my lines (with a bicycle pump), run antifreeze through all of the lines, then blow the antifreeze out. Some people say that I am anal.
I do the same thing. In fact, I think I got the idea from you a couple years ago from this very board. All I know is that when the temperature outside is below zero, I feel pretty confident that my RV won't feel the effects.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I blow all of my lines (with a bicycle pump), run antifreeze through all of the lines, then blow the antifreeze out. Some people say that I am anal.
???? Blowout ALL the lines ?? Run antifreeze in the lines.. then blow it out ???

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
???? Blowout ALL the lines ?? Run antifreeze in the lines.. then blow it out ???
Yeppers. I worry about water residing in the low areas and elbows when blowing lines. Air can blow past those areas in the void at the top of the line, still leaving water in the lines. Case in point, just when I think I have a line blown, it will still spurt water when I do it "1 more time". When is enough "1 more times" sufficient ??

I blow the lines, then fill them with antifreeze. Because the antifreeze is not diluted with the existing water (except for the low areas), the antifreeze is close to 100%, the way it is intended to be used. I very well could just leave the antifreeze in the lines for winter.....not a problem. But by blowing the near 100% antifreeze out, I end up running that 100% stuff to the drains, and to the waste tanks....which solves winterizing those 2 items.......I have already completely drained my waste tanks, so there should be nothing but a little 100% antifreeze in those. I will still pull the waste tank valves (into a bucket for proper disposal) to double check that nothing is dammed up behind those.

Blowing the lines now performs another function.....I don't have to blow them next spring before my yearly sanitization (sp?) of the fresh water tank and lines.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #24

Water sitting in valley is free to expand while freezing into open spaces of the water lines. For that matter, PEX (the red/blue water lines used in most newer campers) can tolerate freezing and not split. The problem with freezing is when there is no place for the ice to expand, it will damage the surrounding material. If that wasn't true, your ice trays in your freezer would be "one time use" devices.

The important thing is to not trap the water in a confined space.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #25

Ah but in replacing the blinker fluid does it take 1156 fluid or 1157 fluid

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote