Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

Broken kitchen faucet

I have a 2 year old surveyor and for 2 back to back years have found my kitchen faucet laying in the sink when I go to open after winter. Plumbing lines were blown out and antifreeze dumped in drains before winter. The slide is not coming near the faucet so it's not being knocked off when closing. It snaps off(doesn't appear to be any welds or screws holding neck to base, maybe pressed on? ) right after goose neck at base. I can understand if water were left in lines that ice would push it apart but that's not the case. This happened twice now. Dealer has no clue, says to take it up with forest river. Thought I'd look over forums first to see if it was a problem for others but I don't see anything here. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? There doesn't appear to be any damage to either base nor neck where they fit together.
Rhinoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoboy View Post
I have a 2 year old surveyor and for 2 back to back years have found my kitchen faucet laying in the sink when I go to open after winter. Plumbing lines were blown out and antifreeze dumped in drains before winter. The slide is not coming near the faucet so it's not being knocked off when closing. It snaps off(doesn't appear to be any welds or screws holding neck to base, maybe pressed on? ) right after goose neck at base. I can understand if water were left in lines that ice would push it apart but that's not the case. This happened twice now. Dealer has no clue, says to take it up with forest river. Thought I'd look over forums first to see if it was a problem for others but I don't see anything here. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? There doesn't appear to be any damage to either base nor neck where they fit together.
Sounds like the plastic is a snap in fit. Perhaps the cold weather is enough for it to lose its hold. Like so many others on the forum, I've replaced both my faucets with quality residential ones. They are both Moen "Caldwell" very similar to the originals. I simply unscrewed the old and screwed in the new. Reaching the fittings may be a little difficult.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Seems ridiculous that the dealer told you to take it up with FR. Your warranty expired a year ago.
Unless you had it in the service department, for this issue, during the 1 year warranty period, FR will not do anything.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

Now that is odd. Gremlins. Maybe there is just enough residual moistness to freeze and separate the joint?

I would definitely replace the faucet with a better quality residential. Most of the RVers in my local group replace all the faucets before the first trip in a new RV.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Now that is odd. Gremlins. Maybe there is just enough residual moistness to freeze and separate the joint?

I would definitely replace the faucet with a better quality residential. Most of the RVers in my local group replace all the faucets before the first trip in a new RV.
X2. Even builder grade faucets from HD are better than those plastic RV faucets.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

It's not plastic but it is rather thin metal. On the 1st one you can see the spot weld gave but on the 2nd there's no indication of anything that maybe broke. Tried attaching pics but can't figure out where they're hidden in my phone... gremlins. The moisture being trapped might be the reason but not convinced but it seems most logical to be an ice expansion thing except there was only air coming out when winterizing. Thank you for replying.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

Broken kitchen faucet

Just me, since I was gonna replace it, I prefer a single handle version.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/moen-anabelle...BoCmo8QAvD_BwE

Bathroom and shower are next.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #8

I recd a new fixture from FR last year which was great but it is now a recurring problem and I'd rather have an explanation as to why it's occurring. I was kind of hoping it was grand fathered in, too.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
I recd a new fixture from FR last year which was great but it is now a recurring problem and I'd rather have an explanation as to why it's occurring. I was kind of hoping it was grand fathered in, too.
I agree, it would be great to know what exactly is happening, but if they didn't know the first time, unlikely they will know now.

At this point, do you really want another identical faucet?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
The problem is just blowing out the water . enough stay and accumulates at the base of the stem to push it out . blowing out lines is fine if you get all the water out, nothing replaces pumping antifreeze through line that you blew out . saves seals and then you know you got all the water out . to many use to much pressure and water will remain . this is what's happening in my opinion
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

Ideally, I was looking for others who mayve experienced same problem. So far with FR surveyor it's been a number of little things and a couple big ones that failed within 1st season: fridge didn't run blocking, come to find there was no inverter installed by factory... really...?? Both recliners broke when reclining (embarrassing as we were showing off our new camper), the white pine boards underneath just split at the screws (FR replaced one, or dealer did, and 2nd one I just fortified myself) and all the weather stripping around the bump out windows blew off and shredded, which my dealer says happens and to expect replacing yearly...What!? I've always bought used and expect that with used stuff but not new, fresh off the lot. So, again, wanted to see if others experience this, too. I think mr.. M had it right, I need to pump anti freeze thru lines as well as blow it out. Is there an easy way to do this? Feel really stupid now.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #12

No need to feel stupid. I think the factory faucet is poorly made for it's use and evidently has a pocket that retains water. Maybe antifreeze will fix the problem, maybe not.

True, I live in a warmer climate now, but we still have hard freezes. Even when I lived in CO, I never used antifreeze, just blew everything out, and never had freezing problems. So, it's just what you are comfortable with.

I'm of a mind that replacing your faucet with a better quality will eliminate your problem.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
Site Team

X2 on one of the downsides of blowing out the lines. Unless you are very thorough there is enough moisture in the lines/ appliances to settle back into the low point. It doesn't take much in the inexpensive faucets to cause a split. The extra $10 and 30 mins is well worth the effort.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Ideally, I was looking for others who mayve experienced same problem. So far with FR surveyor it's been a number of little things and a couple big ones that failed within 1st season: fridge didn't run blocking, come to find there was no inverter installed by factory... really...?? Both recliners broke when reclining (embarrassing as we were showing off our new camper), the white pine boards underneath just split at the screws (FR replaced one, or dealer did, and 2nd one I just fortified myself) and all the weather stripping around the bump out windows blew off and shredded, which my dealer says happens and to expect replacing yearly...What!? I've always bought used and expect that with used stuff but not new, fresh off the lot. So, again, wanted to see if others experience this, too. I think mr.. M had it right, I need to pump anti freeze thru lines as well as blow it out. Is there an easy way to do this? Feel really stupid now.
Yes . your pump may have a winterizing port on it if not you can add one very easy . they sell them for about 20 bucks and fit on the line into your pump with a 2 way valve so you can suck antifreeze right from the bottle . blowing with air works most times if done right . to often people blow the air through not knowing how much moisture is still in the lines once it has a chance to settle it can freeze . mostly valves to the toilet , kitchen faucets etc . it takes nothing to add the antifreeze and be safe .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #15

Well, all good advice. As I need to replace it anyway I will be upgrading. Future winterizing will have me putting the extra effort in to prevent this. Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. If this has happened to anyone else with a FR, boy, I'd like to hear from you. My dealer makes it sound as if I'm the only case. Again, thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Well, all good advice. As I need to replace it anyway I will be upgrading. Future winterizing will have me putting the extra effort in to prevent this. Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. If this has happened to anyone else with a FR, boy, I'd like to hear from you. My dealer makes it sound as if I'm the only case. Again, thanks.
I didn't give mine a chance to break. We replaced them the week after we picked the TT up. My wife said those original faucets belong in a doll house. She picked the new ones out at HD and made sure that replacement cartridges were available and economical to replace.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #17

No pink stuff.Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1549229863996.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	199463
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
Jayhawker

Is this the same faucet that you have in your TT? This is from a 2018 243RBS Surveyor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unit_photo_201807280512095986627377.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	199468  
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #19

Yes, that's it. It's not a cheap plastic faucet rather one you'd expect in a home's kitchen.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

I'm of a mind that replacing your faucet with a better quality will eliminate your problem.

I agree with NM. If your time and sanity is worth anything, just spend the small amount of money necessary to replace it with a sturdier faucet.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet