Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Busted my hot water tank

Being new to RV'ing I thought I had properly winterized my trailer but apparently I missed an important step - I didn't fully empty my hot water tank. It must have froze and cracked at some point over the winter. I went in it for the first time in a couple months yesterday to find a nice puddle of water on the floor. On top of something broken with the water heater my practically brand new 2013 Salem 26TBUD now has some swelled wood around the base of the kitchen, the finish looks horrible now around the bottom.

So first things first.. do I need to replace the water heater? Is there a chance I can get the tank welded/fixed? I haven't removed it yet so I don't know at this point where the actual leak is. I can't see it coming directly from the fittings so there may be a hole in the under-side of the tank.

Second, what are the chances of being able to order replacement wood for around the base of the kitchen?

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2013 Salem 26TBUD
nullvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't know about the wood replacement, but you may have been lucky if there is such a thing in this situation, and just busted a water line. I would definitely try to pressurize the system to determine where the leak is by putting some water in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't know about the wood replacement, but you may have been lucky if there is such a thing in this situation, and just busted a water line. I would definitely try to pressurize the system to determine where the leak is by putting some water in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on.
Yeah I have done that and unfortunately I can't tell where the leak is coming from with all the styrofoam around the heater.. I do have a clear view of all the lines/pipes however and see no leaks from them..

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most likely you did bust tank.
There's no repair unfortunately but replacing the tank.

Good luck.

Turbs
Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Most likely you did bust tank.
There's no repair unfortunately but replacing the tank.

Good luck.

Turbs
Do I need to buy the whole water heater assembly ($400+)? or can I get away with somehow just replacing the tank?

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullvalue View Post

Do I need to buy the whole water heater assembly ($400+)? or can I get away with somehow just replacing the tank?
Sorry the whole unit has to be replaced.
Unless you find a used one.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Professional Texan

Quote:
I think you will have to buy the whole Enchilada.

I don't know what your deductible is but insurance might cover it. I tore my roof on a tree once and my insurance covered that, less the deductable.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I think you will have to buy the whole Enchilada.

I don't know what your deductible is but insurance might cover it. I tore my roof on a tree once and my insurance covered that, less the deductable.
Hmm I'll look into the insurance aspect.. Found a place online that sells the unit for about $320 new/shipped. Why don't these trailers come with any mfg instructions on how to winterize?? As a newbie I was left trying to figure out stuff on the internet.. really sucks.

Anyone have any ideas about replacing the swelled/ruined wood trim?

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #9

There are very good resources online on how to winterize; entire video's that walk you through the entire process.

You say that you didn't fully empty the water heater; if you had drained it at all, it would not have frozen and cracked. For a water heater to have done that, it would have had to have a good amount of water in it.

Before purchasing anything, you need to actually determine where the leak is. Don't just assume it's the water heater.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Hmm I'll look into the insurance aspect.. Found a place online that sells the unit for about $320 new/shipped. Why don't these trailers come with any mfg instructions on how to winterize?? As a newbie I was left trying to figure out stuff on the internet.. really sucks.

Anyone have any ideas about replacing the swelled/ruined wood trim?
This is where your dealer failed you....
A good dealer would have went through winterizing with you during pdi.