Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
...and a good way to invite rust?
We don't worry much about rust in Arizona, but if you live in the wetlands, use a piece of stainless welding rod.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
NELA

Quote:
I have a 2014 Roo and my 15' rhinoflex fits in the bumper, with the 90' elbow attached. I have to twist it around a little, but it fits.

Here's MY question. Are there better bumper caps? I worry about mine falling out. Thanks!

DH just wrapped Teflon tape a couple of times around then grooves, the forced the caps on (we don't store our stinkly slinky in the bumper) and they are on TIGHT now....don't budge.

And to stay on topic, we use the Rhino and love it.

We store it in a square/flat plastic bin in the basement storage compartment. The way the wire circles snap together make this hose much easier to store. The bin is big enough to store the 90 and connectors as well as the rubber plug for odor elimination at full service sites.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
They sell cans of what is normally called paint that if applied to bare steel, will prevent rust.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I have a 2014 Roo and my 15' rhinoflex fits in the bumper, with the 90' elbow attached. I have to twist it around a little, but it fits.

Here's MY question. Are there better bumper caps? I worry about mine falling out. Thanks!
There are several mods to existing caps presented here that were done by members to avoid this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiver-trailing-sewer-hose1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	40745  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Quote:
whats rust? havn'tseen it since I moved from detroit to denver in 92.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
There are several mods to existing caps presented here that were done by members to avoid this...
I've been storing my Power Awning Tie Down poles in the bumper and have I have nightmare visions of one of them working themselves out of the bumper. I either need to mount them on the camper *or* modify the bumper camps.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #27

There still should be an OEM storage solution for this product. Now I put it in a plastic bin and store it in my front storage of my camper. (I sold the camper) so now with my new camper (I will be picking up in April 2014) surely I'm not storing it in the front storage...

I might need to change solutions..
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Long Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've been storing my Power Awning Tie Down poles in the bumper and have I have nightmare visions of one of them working themselves out of the bumper. I either need to mount them on the camper *or* modify the bumper camps.
I thought you already used them this summer and mounted them. Why would you remove them and store them? Permanent installation is about 30 minutes.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I thought you already used them this summer and mounted them. Why would you remove them and store them? Permanent installation is about 30 minutes.
I mounted the hanging bracket, but the rest of it has gone unmounted. Each time that I've gone to do the permanent installation, I haven't had the right set of tools with me and then, when I had all of the tools, I haven't had a lick of time to do anything but work since the beginning of September. So, I've just been taking off the lock nut at the mounting bracket and storing them between uses.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Your must be special indeed. Most travel trailer bumpers are 4 inch tubing and the RhinoFlex couplers are 4.5 inches tab to tab and the coupler is 4 inches across. There is a mod that cuts off the tabs but connecting and disconnecting without the tabs requires some hand strength.

The 5 inch fence post illustrated hold it nicely, but I still have to orient the hose coupler slightly to slide in the tray.
Hi Herk, I had fabricated a set of these for my TT but have not yet mounted them to the 5er we bought last month. I haven't had a chance yet to figure out the best place to mount them. I seem to recall seeing a picture from you from when you had them mounted near the rear which caused a problem when you had to be towed, and was wondering where you have your set of 3 mounted now. From the pic maybe it's closer to the front now, but tough to tell.

Also wanted to get your opinion on using plumbers strap as the mounting bracket. It's what I used before and seemed to hold quite well, but it was only on there for about 7 months and only a few trips during that time.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!
I would not use a strap hanger. It might rust over time (especially if you tow in winter conditions - like going to FL late).

Here are some photos of my mount. The front tube contains my folding ladder and has a through bolt to retain the cap and keep the steel retention security cable taut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2193.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	43230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2197.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	43231   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2203.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	43232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2202.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	43233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2205.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	43234  

Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
I would not use a strap hanger. It might rust over time (especially if you tow in winter conditions - like going to FL late).

Here are some photos of my mount. The front tube contains my folding ladder and has a through bolt to retain the cap and keep the steel retention security cable taut.
Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, what are the materials (and sizes) you used on your mounts? I had looked around for u bolts before without much luck, and I see that you improvised to make your own. I had my straps mounted to the I-beam but used self tapping screws without going through. It looks like you went all the way in, perhaps into the storage bay and used nuts to secure from in there? Which also answers the question of where you have them this time, up front rather than in back, right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like many others on the forum highly respect your opinion and expertise on these matters!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, what are the materials (and sizes) you used on your mounts? I had looked around for u bolts before without much luck, and I see that you improvised to make your own. I had my straps mounted to the I-beam but used self tapping screws without going through. It looks like you went all the way in, perhaps into the storage bay and used nuts to secure from in there? Which also answers the question of where you have them this time, up front rather than in back, right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like many others on the forum highly respect your opinion and expertise on these matters!
1) The mounts were made with cut sections of 3/8 inch threaded zinc plated rod retained with stainless washers and stainless locking Nylon nuts. The cross bars were made with zinc clad 1x1 square steel perforated tubing. All these parts came from Lowes/Home Depot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103642-37672...%7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69888-37672-...Brod&facetInfo=

2) The steel vinyl wrapped cable, ferrules, and crimp tool were also from Lowes/Home Depot.

I had considered moving the tubes to the rear, but after I needed to be loaded onto a tow truck, I realized they would have been destroyed. They still reside right behind my front landing gear as pictured. This also made it easier to install by "through drilling" for the threaded rod (also as pictured).

I put cross bars top and bottom to clamp the tubes and to add space to clear a gas pipe running down one frame member.

LOTS more here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-42096-2.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2750.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	43237  
Old 11-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #34
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
1) The mounts were made with cut sections of 3/8 inch threaded zinc plated rod retained with stainless washers and stainless locking Nylon nuts. The cross bars were made with zinc clad 1x1 square steel perforated tubing. All these parts came from Lowes/Home Depot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103642-37672...%7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69888-37672-...Brod&facetInfo=

2) The steel vinyl wrapped cable, ferrules, and crimp tool were also from Lowes/Home Depot.

I had considered moving the tubes to the rear, but after I needed to be loaded onto a tow truck, I realized they would have been destroyed. They still reside right behind my front landing gear as pictured. This also made it easier to install by "through drilling" for the threaded rod (also as pictured).

I put cross bars top and bottom to clamp the tubes and to add space to clear a gas pipe running down one frame member.

LOTS more here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-42096-2.html
Good stuff! This should get me off to a great re-start. I may ask for some more help when I get down into it (may be a while, but it will be done), but I appreciate the info thus far!!!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 11-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #35

Realized I never followed up on this. I ordered the Rhinoflex hose. It worked great and it fits in the Roo's bumper with no problem - including the clear elbow on one end. Like someone said, you have to twist it just a bit, but it fits easily. Thanks for all the info!

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote