Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!
I would not use a strap hanger. It might rust over time (especially if you tow in winter conditions - like going to FL late).

Here are some photos of my mount. The front tube contains my folding ladder and has a through bolt to retain the cap and keep the steel retention security cable taut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2193.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	43230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2197.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	43231   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2203.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	43232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2202.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	43233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2205.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	43234  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I would not use a strap hanger. It might rust over time (especially if you tow in winter conditions - like going to FL late).

Here are some photos of my mount. The front tube contains my folding ladder and has a through bolt to retain the cap and keep the steel retention security cable taut.
Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, what are the materials (and sizes) you used on your mounts? I had looked around for u bolts before without much luck, and I see that you improvised to make your own. I had my straps mounted to the I-beam but used self tapping screws without going through. It looks like you went all the way in, perhaps into the storage bay and used nuts to secure from in there? Which also answers the question of where you have them this time, up front rather than in back, right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like many others on the forum highly respect your opinion and expertise on these matters!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, what are the materials (and sizes) you used on your mounts? I had looked around for u bolts before without much luck, and I see that you improvised to make your own. I had my straps mounted to the I-beam but used self tapping screws without going through. It looks like you went all the way in, perhaps into the storage bay and used nuts to secure from in there? Which also answers the question of where you have them this time, up front rather than in back, right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like many others on the forum highly respect your opinion and expertise on these matters!
1) The mounts were made with cut sections of 3/8 inch threaded zinc plated rod retained with stainless washers and stainless locking Nylon nuts. The cross bars were made with zinc clad 1x1 square steel perforated tubing. All these parts came from Lowes/Home Depot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103642-37672...%7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69888-37672-...Brod&facetInfo=

2) The steel vinyl wrapped cable, ferrules, and crimp tool were also from Lowes/Home Depot.

I had considered moving the tubes to the rear, but after I needed to be loaded onto a tow truck, I realized they would have been destroyed. They still reside right behind my front landing gear as pictured. This also made it easier to install by "through drilling" for the threaded rod (also as pictured).

I put cross bars top and bottom to clamp the tubes and to add space to clear a gas pipe running down one frame member.

LOTS more here Storage box for sewer hose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2750.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	43237  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #34
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
1) The mounts were made with cut sections of 3/8 inch threaded zinc plated rod retained with stainless washers and stainless locking Nylon nuts. The cross bars were made with zinc clad 1x1 square steel perforated tubing. All these parts came from Lowes/Home Depot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103642-37672...%7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_69888-37672-...Brod&facetInfo=

2) The steel vinyl wrapped cable, ferrules, and crimp tool were also from Lowes/Home Depot.

I had considered moving the tubes to the rear, but after I needed to be loaded onto a tow truck, I realized they would have been destroyed. They still reside right behind my front landing gear as pictured. This also made it easier to install by "through drilling" for the threaded rod (also as pictured).

I put cross bars top and bottom to clamp the tubes and to add space to clear a gas pipe running down one frame member.

LOTS more here Storage box for sewer hose?
Good stuff! This should get me off to a great re-start. I may ask for some more help when I get down into it (may be a while, but it will be done), but I appreciate the info thus far!!!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #35

Realized I never followed up on this. I ordered the Rhinoflex hose. It worked great and it fits in the Roo's bumper with no problem - including the clear elbow on one end. Like someone said, you have to twist it just a bit, but it fits easily. Thanks for all the info!

2003 Dodge Durango SXT w/full towing package
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote