Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

Question Can a basic water pressure regulator go bad(travel trailer)

Just purchased a 2013 Forest River travel trailer, and beginner camper it didn't come with an owner's manual and from what I've read most of them are pretty generic. Anyway I was wanting to know if one of the basic water pressure regulators without a gauge can ever go bad and why would I even need the Guage? My other question was what water pressure can this camper handle and would I even need an adjustable one?
StephanieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #2

What do you consider a basic pressure regulator to be?

Bruce
Old 02-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

As a service plumber, I try to keep at least four pressure regulators on my truck at all times because they do not last forever. I usually replace about three per week. The life of a PRV depends mostly on how much work it has to do. In my service area the street pressure is mostly between 80psi to 120psi with a few areas at or above 140psi. The factory-set pressure on a (standard to me) PRV is 55psi, so the higher the pressure on the street side is, the sooner the PRV will fail. Hence, I replace more PRVs in my 120psi and 140psi areas than I do in the 80psi areas.

Keep in mind, the PRVs I use are "real" PRVs and not the in-line water restricting type they sell at the RV dealers. You can purchase smaller "real" PRVs that you can connect to your hose. Search at Watts Regulator for the best solution.

Here you go: http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=7665

Bruce
Old 02-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieR View Post
Just purchased a 2013 Forest River travel trailer, and beginner camper it didn't come with an owner's manual and from what I've read most of them are pretty generic. Anyway I was wanting to know if one of the basic water pressure regulators without a gauge can ever go bad and why would I even need the Guage? My other question was what water pressure can this camper handle and would I even need an adjustable one?
Welcome to the Forest River Forums, Stephanie. As I see this is your first post here, I am going to go off topic to your water pressure regulator question and offer some other things that you may or may not be aware of, since I don't know if you are an experienced RV owner, or if this is your first one.

You can download the generic manuals from Forest River, at the website below:

Forest River RV Online Owners Manuals

Also we keep many of the appliance manuals as well as other documents in our library here on the forums.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/downloads.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Like anything else, regulators can go bad eventually. The most basic ones have a set psi that can't be changed. (Usually 45-55 psi) The ones with a gauge just let you know what the campground pressure is, in addition to regulating it. Most adjustable ones are pre-set at 45 psi, but can be adjusted if you need/want higher pressure. Most RV plumbing can handle at least 60 psi.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
The ones with a gauge just let you know what the campground pressure is, in addition to regulating it.
The PRVs with a gauge tell you only what the low side pressure is - not the high side pressure. You would need two gauges - one on the high side and one on the low side to be able to do what you are saying.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
The PRVs with a gauge tell you only what the low side pressure is - not the high side pressure. You would need two gauges - one on the high side and one on the low side to be able to do what you are saying.

Bruce
Can't you have a gauge only on the high side? This description seems to indicate that:
Valterra A01-1124VP Water Regulator & Gauge Combo
Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Site Team

To clarify a little, there are two types of water pressure regulators normally used in RVs.
The inexpensive ones (not adjustable and usually no gauge) are actually flow restrictors. They restrict the flow of water and can reduce the pressure when you are using water, but allow the full pressure to return shortly after shutting off the faucet. The RV water system then is under the full pressure of the supply.
The more expensive ones usually >$70 have an adjustment and a gauge. These actually adjust the pressure at all times and during water usage do not impact the flow rate ( a good thing).
In large campgrounds, water pressure can be a problem as in order to have sufficient pressure at the sites far away from the water source, the pressure at the sites close to the source has to be very high. It is always a good idea to use a good pressure regulator when connected to city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Marshmallow Expert

Is there a rule of thumb as to when a regulator should be replaced? I have been using the same one, brass w/o gauge, for about 5 seasons (which came with our used 2004 trailer so don't know the age of the regulator). We just upgraded from a PUP to a 2017 Grey Wolf 17BH TT (not to brag or anything), so I am thinking that I should get a new regulator. The dealership gave us a rinky dink RV starter kit with a plastic regulator in it, but I would rather have a brass one.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Keep in mind, the PRVs I use are "real" PRVs and not the in-line water restricting type they sell at the RV dealers. You can purchase smaller "real" PRVs that you can connect to your hose. Search at Watts Regulator for the best solution.

Here you go: LFH560 Lead Free* Mini Brass Water Pressure Regulators with Hose Connections, Water Pressure Reducing Valves - Small Capacity, Water Safety & Flow Control - Watts

Bruce
Thanks for this info! I didn't realize Watts makes something that will work for RVs. I found one at what I think is a good price, although I will have to find the proper fittings to go with it. Saw it elsewhere with the fittings, but they are asking $112.
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...RdMaAqDS8P8HAQ
Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
To clarify a little, there are two types of water pressure regulators normally used in RVs.
The inexpensive ones (not adjustable and usually no gauge) are actually flow restrictors. They restrict the flow of water and can reduce the pressure when you are using water, but allow the full pressure to return shortly after shutting off the faucet. The RV water system then is under the full pressure of the supply.
The more expensive ones usually >$70 have an adjustment and a gauge. These actually adjust the pressure at all times and during water usage do not impact the flow rate ( a good thing).
In large campgrounds, water pressure can be a problem as in order to have sufficient pressure at the sites far away from the water source, the pressure at the sites close to the source has to be very high. It is always a good idea to use a good pressure regulator when connected to city water.
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know that the inexpensive ones allow the full pressure to return shortly after shutting off the faucet! Seems like they give a false sense of security! Am I correct in thinking that the one Bruce referenced will regulate/reduce pressure at all times?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Can't you have a gauge only on the high side? This description seems to indicate that:
Valterra A01-1124VP Water Regulator & Gauge Combo
That gauge is on the low side. Also, read Flybob's post below yours because he describes exactly how that type of regulator works. He is one of the few on here who seems to understand this. This type of regulator is useless for all of our purposes.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know that the inexpensive ones allow the full pressure to return shortly after shutting off the faucet! Seems like they give a false sense of security! Am I correct in thinking that the one Bruce referenced will regulate/reduce pressure at all times?
Yes, you are correct. The Pressure regulating valve I referenced will maintain the set low side pressure, regardless of the incoming high side pressure.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for this info! I didn't realize Watts makes something that will work for RVs. I found one at what I think is a good price, although I will have to find the proper fittings to go with it. Saw it elsewhere with the fittings, but they are asking $112.
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...RdMaAqDS8P8HAQ
I think I found out why this one is so much cheaper. I knew it did not have the hose fittings, but I also think it contains lead, unlike the higher priced model.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I think I found out why this one is so much cheaper. I knew it did not have the hose fittings, but I also think it contains lead, unlike the higher priced model.
Definitely contains lead. See note in description.
Note: This pressure regulator contains more than 0.25% lead and is illegal to use in any plumbing system providing water for human consumption anywhere in the United States.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

I am considering this one.... Any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ater+Regulator
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Definitely contains lead. See note in description.
Note: This pressure regulator contains more than 0.25% lead and is illegal to use in any plumbing system providing water for human consumption anywhere in the United States.
Need...more...coffee!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I am considering this one.... Any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ater+Regulator
For the quality, reliability, country of manufacture and my confidence in the brand, I prefer the Watts, but the Valterra is half the price, so I can see why it would appeal to many. I imagine the Valterra will do what it is supposed to. I would rather have a valve made of milled red brass any day over one made of cast yellow brass.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #19

Basic regulators are preset to 45 pounds, not near enough for our Cardinal. I have an adjustable regulator set to 60 pounds. FR told me the plumbing is pre tested at 90 pounds so 60 is no problem.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #20

I recommend go to Lowe's or Home Depot. Get a WATTS whole house regulator and get hose adapters. That is what I did. Controls pressure with full flow.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, trailer, travel, travel trailer, water