Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

Can’t get water to pump from fresh water tank

Have 2012 38' Blue Ridge 3600 cabin edition by Cedar Creek. Person we bought from said water from fresh water pump didn’t work well. We’ve tried everything, including a new water pump. Only get a trickle. Then it turns to air. Doesn’t seem to suck any water from tank (and we’ve checked to be sure there is water there). Water line from fresh water tank Ts and goes to filter and discharge side of the pump. The suction side of the pump goes to the normal or winterize valve. Is there a switch or some secret to get it to pump from the fresh water tank??
Jerry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Make sure all the winterizing valves are set correctly.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Don’t find anything that tells me. Hot water heater is set for bypass. The other is normal. Is that correct?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Professional Texan

You may have a blockage at the tank outlet, like when they cut into the tank and let the piece fall in the tank.
Or blockage in the hose from the tank ahead of the pump suction.
Or, like mine, there is a valve between the tank and the pump suction that is partially or completely closed.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you put a temporary line from the suction side of the pump to a bucket with water in it?
That will tell you quickly if your problem is the fresh tank/suction line.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

What 5picker says, if the pumps draws from the bucket you have a punctured hose, cracked fitting or loose connection somewhere between the pump and the water tank which can be a royal PITA to access.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Looking for air leak

Any advice out there on what to do first, or best way to find an air leak in the fresh water line to the pump?
Old 10-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

Have you tried filling your fresh twater completely and see if it will pump. Mine will not pump unless the water level is above 1/3 full.
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #9

Tank was over 3/4 full. But after trying many things, think there is an air leak Thanks for the comment
Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Becker View Post
Tank was over 3/4 full. But after trying many things, think there is an air leak Thanks for the comment
If you try the suction from a bucket as mentioned make sure the bucket of water is level or even above pump. They are not powerful pumps and have a difficult time lifting water.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Becker View Post
Any advice out there on what to do first, or best way to find an air leak in the fresh water line to the pump?
Yes! The air could be coming from the antifreeze inlet (if equipped). Follow the suction-side line from the pump toward the tank. There may be a valve in that line that connects to a hose for putting antifreeze into the system. If it's not closed all the way, it'll pull a little water (the water gravity provided to the pump while it was off) then go to air.
You do have an air leak somewhere on the suction side and closing the antifreeze inlet valve would be the simplest fix.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

Once I had a 5ver that the pump was higher than the fresh water tank. If I lost 'prime', I had to disconnect the output of the pump to get it going again.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #13

you stated originally that "Water line from fresh water tank Ts and goes to filter and discharge side of the pump. The suction side of the pump goes to the normal or winterize valve."

this sounds BACKWARDS

the outlet from the Water tank itself should be going TO the Water Pump's INLET side(to such water from the tank), and OUT to the 'NORMAL' valve, which leads to your water lines to your faucets, shower, etc.
Maybe someone did some work on the water system and 'rewired' this backwards.

Send a picture and we'll be able to see better...

'NORMAL' is the industry term for using water from the water tank into your RV.

'CITY WATER' is the general term for using water from a pressurized source, such as a spigot, campground water outlet, etc.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #14

Sorry. I was wrong. When I posted that, I did not realize there were 2 separate lines that ran from the pump to the back of the trailer. One Ts into the outlet side of the pump, the other one goes into the valve on the suction side (that is the valve for winterizing). But I really appreciate your comments because I just figured that out - I might still be searching and your comments would have made all the difference.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #15

I was chasing the same problem you have. I had it happen to me twice with two rigs. One ended up to be a kinked/pinched hose between the tank and pump. Thankfull it was under warranty since they had to drop the whole tank to get at the problem. The second time it was on another rig not under warranty. I bypassed all the hoses/fittings on the suction side by getting a piece of hose long enough and a couple barbed fittings with hose clamps so that it was plumbed directly to the tank suction hose. I found a couple problems. One was they installed the hoses on the winterizing fitting wrong. It was sucking air there but with the cap on the fitting it would only do it if I forgot to put the cap back on. Another problem was the strainer on the suction side of the pump was cracked at the fitting. Simple fixes but frustrating. Had to be a contortionist to get at everything. Good luck...
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #16

Thanks for the info. It has been a huge frustration and hope I make headway, but will now have to wait until next year. Weather getting too cold and I’m too old to be down on the ground. Appreciate your suggestions and will check those.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #17

Check for loose inlet filter housing and...

You should check for a loose intake filter cover/housing and also check the assembly screws on the main pump housing itself, either of which can cause priming issues.
Jaeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #18

Thanks for that suggestion. Will check that

Tags
fresh water, pump, tank, water, water tank