Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
(Kim)

Can water pump burn out if left on too long?

I just got back from picking up my TT from getting winterized.
When I went in to check it out, I noticed the battery was completely dead probably because they had left the water pump switch on .

They came out and charged up the battery a bit, but we had to keep the TT plugged into the truck so the power jack would work.
When we had it charging, I went back in the TT and turned the water pump switch back on to see if it was working, but I did not hear a noise from it.

So, I have two questions:

1. Will the water pump make a noise when turned on even if there is no water in the system and the lines are empty?
2. Is it possible to burn out the pump by having it on with no water in the lines, for 1 or 2 days?
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most shurflo pumps can be run dry without harm
if no water is present pump will run with no noise
check your pump documentation to see if yours is a "run dry"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #3

I left my pump on during winterization overnight and the next morning the pump was still humming. I heard it as I walked past the camper on my way to work. It was not pumping water. I turned it off. Mine clearly was audible.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
(Kim)

Hmmm...idk if it can run dry or not...can't find it in the information sheet. I think that there is a breaker in the pump itself that will shut off if it gets over heated. The motor might still come on, but it might not be able to suction properly, and won't work.

I try adding more antifreeze and turn the pump on to see if it does work still. I would rather do that now than in the spring.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Hmmm...idk if it can run dry or not...can't find it in the information sheet. I think that there is a breaker in the pump itself that will shut off if it gets over heated. The motor might still come on, but it might not be able to suction properly, and won't work.

I might fill the fresh tank with some antifreeze and turn the pump on to see if it does work still. I would rather do that now than in the spring.

Any other suggestions?

If it's broken, you're not likely to replace it until spring anyway. I'll be waiting until then. But my line of thinking maybe unconventional. It won't harm anything now .
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They probably didn't add antifreeze to your fresh tank rather they unhooked the fresh water supply line to the pump and sucked antifreeze from there.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just got back from picking up my TT from getting winterized.
When I went in to check it out, I noticed the battery was completely dead probably because they had left the water pump switch on .
Really? What did they say when you told them about their mistakes?

As for the pump, I think you would almost need to test it to check if its still OK. Kind of a hassle if you just winterized, though.

Make sure to fully charge that battery. Overdischarging can shorten battery life and inadequate charging can lead to sulfation. Leave it plugged in for awhile before you disconnect for the winter.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I try adding more antifreeze and turn the pump on to see if it does work still. I would rather do that now than in the spring.

Any other suggestions?
Kim,
Do you have a winterization kit on the line leading to the pump?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
(Kim)

I have a antifreeze outlet on the side of the TT next to the city water intake, but it has a strainer over the opening.... so can I use one end of my fresh water hose to attach there and put the other end in the antifreeze jug?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Make sure to fully charge that battery. Overdischarging can shorten battery life and inadequate charging can lead to sulfation. Leave it plugged in for awhile before you disconnect for the winter.
I'm sure your pump will make an noise if you can get close to it. Mine is MUCH more than a loud hum, dry or wet.

And---it's not a bad idea, if at all possible, to put a "top-off" charge to the battery now and then throughout the winter..If not possible, give it a good 6 hour charge and disconnect one of the battery cables before storing.

DEEP CYCLE BATTERY FAQ
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
When we told them the battery was dead and wanted them to get a charger for us so we could use the power jack, the owner said, 'Oh I told her how to use the jack manually'.
But then he sent 2 guys out with a battery starter and kept that on while I hooked up the truck.

I called him when I got home telling him again that they had left the water pump on and it drained my battery, asking him if it would harm the pump or not. He told me that the pump works on demand so it probably shut off on its own and that there is no way that just the pump could drain the battery (which is a load of crap).

BUT, he did tell me that if it doesn't work he will replace the pump for me.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Team

On a recent return home we forgot and left the pump on.
When we got home I lowered the nose as usual so rain drains better off
the roof. The water tank was nearly empty and that left the inlet sucking
air. Pump came on and ran for at least an hour I guess.
I figured it would have burned up by then but it still works.

When it's sucking air and not water it's much quieter. I just happened to
put my hand on the side as I was locking up and felt a tiny vibration.
I started looking around and finally realized the pump was running.
I'd guess it's also not working as hard so probably not going to get as hot.
I don't recommend trying this at home!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
When we told them the battery was dead and wanted them to get a charger for us so we could use the power jack, the owner said, 'Oh I told her how to use the jack manually'.
But then he sent 2 guys out with a battery starter and kept that on while I hooked up the truck.

I called him when I got home telling him again that they had left the water pump on and it drained my battery, asking him if it would harm the pump or not. He told me that the pump works on demand so it probably shut off on its own and that there is no way that just the pump could drain the battery (which is a load of crap).

BUT, he did tell me that if it doesn't work he will replace the pump for me.
To me, "On demand" means the pump will shut off with back pressure. If a faucet or any other valve is left open, the pump continues to run. Maybe there is a different kind of pump out there, but that is how mine works.

Were you ever able to get close to the pump and listen to see if it is trying to pump?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
(Kim)

Ok, this is what I am going to try.

Put some antifreeze in the fresh tank, turn the pump on, then open the cold then hot taps till they run pink. This should tell me if the pump is working right?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
To me, "On demand" means the pump will shut off with back pressure. If a faucet or any other valve is left open, the pump continues to run. Maybe there is a different kind of pump out there, but that is how mine works.

Were you ever able to get close to the pump and listen to see if it is trying to pump?
I agree about the 'on demand' stuff. But I did not get close to the pump to listen to it, and as it is at the storage place ATM, I won't get over there till tomorrow to check it out.

I don't think I will take my TT back to this place again for work, if they can't do an easy winterization without making a mistake, makes me wonder what else they forgot to do......
Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Ok, this is what I am going to try.

Put some antifreeze in the fresh tank, turn the pump on, then open the cold then hot taps till they run pink. This should tell me if the pump is working right?
Yes, that will tell you if the pump is, or is not working....But....Make sure the pink (Non-toxic) RV antifreeze is above the hole where the pump inlet is placed on the fresh water tank. You may need to park the rig so it slants in that direction.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

The pump knows nothing about your system except pressure. If it is below a value it runs; above a value it stops. If there is no water, there is no pressure, so it runs. Opening a "pressurized" system reduces water pressure and the pump comes on. That is what they mean by "demand". A leak (in the line or check valve) will also reduce pressure in the pump and that "demand" will turn on the pump too.

"Demand" has a different meaning when used with the pump.

Additionally, there is a thermal switch that will "open" when the pump motor gets hot, but will close when the pump motor cools down.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
(Kim)

Quote:
Yes, that will tell you if the pump is, or is not working....But....Make sure the pink (Non-toxic) RV antifreeze is above the hole where the pump inlet is placed on the fresh water tank. You may need to park the rig so it slants in that direction.
Idk where that hole is located.......is it easily viewable while looking at the tank?

I also have a couple other concerns....

1. They left the caps to the hot and cold line low points off; I found them in the kitchen sink.......so idk how much antifreeze stayed in the lines??

2. There was antifreeze in the WH compartment, so idk if they turned the WH bypass on or not.
When I asked the guy why there was antifreeze there, he said that the guy gives it a little 'shot' because there is a small hose that attaches to the WH??? ( does that even make sense???)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The pump knows nothing about your system except pressure. If it is below a value it runs; above a value it stops. If there is no water, there is no pressure, so it runs. Opening a "pressurized" system reduces water pressure and the pump comes on. That is what they mean by "demand". A leak (in the line or check valve) will also reduce pressure in the pump and that "demand" will turn on the pump too.

"Demand" has a different meaning when used with the pump.

Additionally, there is a thermal switch that will "open" when the pump motor gets hot, but will close when the pump motor cools down.
So you are saying that my pump stayed on due to the fact that it had no 'value' because the taps were all open?

Which means that since they left all the taps 'on' and the water pump 'on', and the low point caps 'off'......there probably is no antifreeze left in my system...... (except in the grey water tank).
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #20

I think that your final outcome is that you got your pipes drained of water and subsequently antifreeze. And how much did you pay for this non service?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL