Old 10-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

Can't get my Black water valve off

So, my black water gate valve leaks (I get a splash when I take off the drain cover). I figure either the O ring is not seated or something is stuck (the valve actually works very smoothly).

After draining and rinsing the tank and letting it sit for several days open, today I tried to remove the valve and I can't get it out. I have removed the four bolts and I can rotate the valve in place but I can't actually slide it out from between the two pipes. Am I missing something? I really don't have much play in the two pipes so I can't spread them and I don't want to put a whole lot of force on the flanges - I've broken them before on another camper.

Do I just pull harder? It doesn't feel "right" hence my question here lest I brake something. I *could* disconnect the hanger that is holding the drain pipe on one side to try and get a little more play but it's not going to buy me much.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	123345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	123346  

Old 10-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Team

You may have to pull the two sections of waste pipe apart. It looks like the seals are holding the valve in. Try gently pulling the dump connection away from the gate valve.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You may have to pull the two sections of waste pipe apart. It looks like the seals are holding the valve in. Try gently pulling the dump connection away from the gate valve.
Yeah, I tried that. As I mentioned, I can't separate the pipes. The left side goes into an elbow and then up through the underbelly and won't move. The right side is on a hanger and then, past the Y, to another elbow and up to the grey tank. I've certainly tried to push them apart while pulling on the valve - there just isn't any play in the pipes.

Hmm, maybe I should try to slide a knife or something thin in between the valve and the flange.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Since it spins the valve is free. Try a nylon racket strap attached to tire +/or a jack. You need to flex about 1/4".
Gradually apply tension to spread the gap. Other thought is to take a soft bristle tooth brush to clean the seal reaching into the pipe opening.
Good Luck....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Got a putty knife?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #6

I had the same problem. I had to cut out a small section with a sawzall to get the valve out. I used a rubber repair section with two hose clamps to reinstall. While I was at it I installed an electric valve. Works great.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

The seals are holding in place.
Watch video.
https://youtu.be/u-AFa9hyrpI

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I had to replace my valves. My complete assembly pulled out of the black and gray water tanks. At first it didn't look like it would but after close inspection the assembly just pulled out of the tanks after removing a stainless clamp at each tank. Made my repairs and reversed the process. Works great now. As you pull the unit out and replace be careful to not damage the orings that go into the tanks.

2013 Georgetown XL 378TS
Harvey
Old 10-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

I had a tech lube the valves early in the summer, when he put it back together he pinched the gasket causing it to leak.
Thankfully it was on the drain side but we found it a few days into a 3 week trip.

I decided to fix it myself and reinsulate the belly, I ended up having to loosen all the valves to repair the one.

DKRITTER is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, valve, water