Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

check valve in water pump system

My DW said "fill the fresh water tank" did I do it NO. Then the camp groung water system went off just as I NEEDED a shower. When the water came back on I filled the fresh water tank, shut off the park water and ran the pump for about 10 minutes. Satisfied that all the air was out of the system and working properly I turned off the pump and turned on the campground system. About 5 minutes later I've got Niagara falls out of my vent and fresh water fill connection. I shut off the campground supply and pumped the fresh water down to 2/3 and tirned on the main supply. Same results. I figure there is a check valve somewhere near the pump but can't identify it! It has to be stuck open. My unit is a 2014 Puma 38 PLF. It worked fine last April when we went home for the "summer" now this. Does anyone know where the check valve is located? In the interm I have isolated the pump.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

Most RV pumps have a (Internal) valve! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Turn your pump on, let it run for a bit to pressurize the system then turn it off. Bleed some pressure by opening a faucet. Repeat several times - all with the city supply off. Then turn the city supply back on. This usually reseats the valve and allows normal water operation.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Thanks Big TJohn I'll give it another try. I did that twice yesterday but I will try it again.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

Youroo I think you are probably right. I am going to contact the dealer and see what they say. The unit is about 11 months old so it should be covered by Forest River anyway. I just thought if was an easy inexpensive fix I'd do it myself.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Oldprof1, we are dealing with the exact same situation. The check valve that prevents the backflow into the fresh water tank is built into the pump. If it is like the pump was on our boat (and I think it is) the check valve is actually a diaphragm.

BigTJohn, we tried "cycling" the pump a lot, but the valve will not re-seat itself. Solution: Replace the pump. $109 at Camping World, but the same pump was $60 on Amazon.com with free shipping and no sales tax.

I have the pump, but our trailer is put away right now, so there is no big hurry to change my pump. Once I do, though, I'll take the old one apart and see what the diaphragm looks like. May be possible to re-seat it manually and keep the pump for a spare.

Good luck with yours!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #7

check valve

my water pump had a hair line crack internally and did the same thing bypassed the check valve, bad part was it filled the fresh water tank which had a leak and I was told to stop the leak or leave the camp ground.
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

There may be so type of dirt or calcium sticking the check valve open. Take you pump off and take it apart and look for some foreign material in there. Put back together and it should/may work fine.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Most of the higher end RV water pumps can be rebuilt fairly easily, Search online for a rebuild kit for your model, It consists of diaphragm, valve and seals. Simple task.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

or might be cheaper, faster and easier to add check valve to output line of water pump??

SharkBite 1/2 in. Brass Push-to-Connect Check Valve-U2008-0000LFA - The Home Depot
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldprof1 View Post
Youroo I think you are probably right. I am going to contact the dealer and see what they say. The unit is about 11 months old so it should be covered by Forest River anyway. I just thought if was an easy inexpensive fix I'd do it myself.
If your unit is still under warranty your dealer will simply replace the pump as a complete assembly - it's simply not cost effective to repair/replace the check valve (been there, done that). For do-it-yourselfers. repair kits and instructions/drawings are available online from the pump manufacturer.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

Thanks guys I have sent an e-mail to the dealer as the unit should be under warranty for another 2-3 weeks!! It just didn't occur to me that it's a 2014 and it's still 2014. I didn't buy the unit till after Christmas 2013 so it should be covered. If worse comes to worse and I have trouble with the dealer I will contact Forest river first then rebuild the pump myself if necessary. From all My experience the dealer has been good and Forest River seems to stand behind their products. Again thanks for the help, have a good holiday and Merry Christmas to all!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #13

In the interim, if you have the winterization tubing at the pump and the tubing has a cap at the end you could switch to the tubing input to the pump and that will prevent backflow to the holding tank.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #14

Thanks guys
I'm just waiting for the dealer to contact me. The pump might be under warranty for another couple of weeks. If not I will probably get the rebuild kit after I see what is wrong. Thanks again happy holidays and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldprof1 View Post
Thanks guys
I'm just waiting for the dealer to contact me. The pump might be under warranty for another couple of weeks. If not I will probably get the rebuild kit after I see what is wrong. Thanks again happy holidays and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

You should not need a 'rebuild' kit. Take is a part and see if some type of sediment is sticking the valve open. Get the junk out and then put the pump back together.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #16

I had same problem on 2013 puma bh that had 4008 shurflo pump. I removed valve assembly, was good. There is a 1/8 allen screw on end of valve assy, when I replaced I turned clockwise 3/4 turn and problem was fixed, I called 3 dealers in 100 mile of my location and all they would say is call shurflo.
strecknine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #17

Hi everyone! Merry Christmas!!!
I contacted the dealer, Park Model City of Ft. Myers. They phoned, and are having a tech come in the new year to carry out the service. They seem to be a very reputable dealer who has on other occasions serviced my destination trailer without question. Want a recommendation contact me!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #18

Hey I know this thread is from a while ago, but, my pump keeps pulsing while pumping. The shower head goes strong and low every second it runs. only time it stops pulsing is when we turn on another faucet. Could that be that allen screw adjustment on the pressure regulator? Please advise Gents...
Thanks.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
Hey I know this thread is from a while ago, but, my pump keeps pulsing while pumping. The shower head goes strong and low every second it runs. only time it stops pulsing is when we turn on another faucet. Could that be that allen screw adjustment on the pressure regulator? Please advise Gents...
Thanks.
When this happens, the first thing I think of is air in one of the line. Turn pump on and go to each faucet and open it and run for a minute. You should get some air out of a couple of the lines. the pump should then 'firm' up and pump fine.

Tags
pump, water, water pump