Old 07-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #11

Here's the quick and dirty on how it works:

Power to the pump runs through a main switch and a pressure switch. When the main pump switch is turned ON, and pressure in the water line is low, the pressure switch closes and starts the pump. When the pump brings the pressure up, the pressure switch opens and turns the pump off. City water pressure is (or should be) higher than the setpoint of the pressure switch, so city water will always keep the pump from running (unless you put a REALLY large demand on it by maybe opening every faucet). Also, as stated above, the city water pressure will backseat the pumps check valve, so unless you've got a really strong pump, even if it's running, it may not actually be pumping anything.

Is your friend SURE the pump was actually running while he had city water going, too? I won't say it can't be done, but it's highly unlikely.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Could your friends rv have a problem.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The other thing I'm thinking about is he'd also have to fill his fresh water tank "if this whole scenario " was possible , as the city water line comes in "after" the pump not "before" it.
The pump in order to "supply" water and "pressure" would have to draw it from the fresh water tank.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #14

Before I realized that my water pressure regulator was cheap junk and throttled psi back to about 30# I used to run my pump for shower pressure. Yes, the pump would run.

Yes, the fresh water tank level would drop and I would occasionally add water.

Now with an adjustable regulator and an Oxygenics shower head, all is good on shore water.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #15
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Brain teaser.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Magee
I have done this while living in a rural RV park. Occasionally the pump would come on while taking a shower and the pressure seemed to improve. It didn't do it all the time and I always figured that the park water pressure fluctuated according to how many were using water. The water system was fed by a well with pressurized tank.
Magee
Old 07-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Before I realized that my water pressure regulator was cheap junk and throttled psi back to about 30# I used to run my pump for shower pressure. Yes, the pump would run.

Yes, the fresh water tank level would drop and I would occasionally add water.

Now with an adjustable regulator and an Oxygenics shower head, all is good on shore water.

Bill
I think.. (hahaha) that Bill's friend gets "low" water pressure because of his camco pressure regulator when connected to city water as compared to the pressure created by the pump. Thus the only time an increase in pressure is truly desired is while taking a shower. So, with that said, he probably only turns on the water pump while showering to take advantage of the pump pressure and he probably keeps adequate water in his fresh water tank since the pump pressure keeps the city water check valve closed and is only able to draw from the tank water.

ps. yes, I'm his friend...
Old 07-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffett2000 View Post
I think.. (hahaha) that Bill's friend gets "low" water pressure because of his camco pressure regulator when connected to city water as compared to the pressure created by the pump. Thus the only time an increase in pressure is truly desired is while taking a shower. So, with that said, he probably only turns on the water pump while showering to take advantage of the pump pressure and he probably keeps adequate water in his fresh water tank since the pump pressure keeps the city water check valve closed and is only able to draw from the tank water.

ps. yes, I'm his friend...
Hey, I have more than 1 rv friend! But yes, it was you! Hahaha

2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump