Old 01-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

I made a copy of what Flyboy said I keep that in my file

2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Yep, Aquaman is correct. If you have separate connections then my post is incorrect. My apologies. It was an obvious question, and I should have asked it.

Sorry

dg

Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

No apologies necessary, I should have included that information. I appreciate everyone's input-it was great! So far Still working properly! Thanks again to all.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:50 AM   #14

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
You could add an additional check valve just downstream from pump outlet.
Not too sure I understand what is meant here; would think that an additional check valve should be placed in the suction line from the fresh water tank, for the check valve in the head of most pumps is for "ensuring" that when city water pressure is applied, the suction line from the fresh water tank is closed, such that city water can not simply feed thru to that tank.

All the remedies are nice and worthwhile that have been presented here. However, when the pump's check valve opens during the night and one awakes to an overflow of the FW tank, trying to clear that valve is a wasted effort after the tank has been filled.

Per dealers and techs recommendations, I have had replaced three pumps, all of which had less than a year's service, in the last several years. I will be inserting in the pump's FW suction line a manual, quarter turn valve, which I will close whenever we are connected to city water, and opened when we are not. I do not trust the internal valving of any pump anymore to prevent unwanted filling of the FW tank.
don1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #15

Don1,your placement of a suction side manual check valve will do nothing to protect your Pump,that has been replaced 3 times! Your water system has other Issues that need to be corrected when your on City water. Your proposed setup when using Tank water will mean turning the suction valve on/off every time you want to use your Pump that has a Bad check valve! Youroo!!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Don1,your placement of a suction side manual check valve will do nothing to protect your Pump,that has been replaced 3 times! Your water system has other Issues that need to be corrected when your on City water. Your proposed setup when using Tank water will mean turning the suction valve on/off every time you want to use your Pump that has a Bad check valve! Youroo!!
youroo -- the way I see it, the shurflo pump has a one way ck-vlv such that when city water is connected, the cw pressure "should" keep the valve closed for the other side of the valve, which is the suction line from the fresh water tank -- if that valve sticks open, no matter the cause, be it grit, sand, stone impurities, city water has a direct path to the fresh water tank and the tank will fill in short order --

you say that my "water system has other Issues that need to be corrected when your on City water." -- might be, but such as?
pump lines run to where they should; t's provide the required directional flow throughout the camper: seems plumbing is okay; the only common item shared by both FW and city systems is the pump --

"Your proposed setup when using Tank water will mean turning the suction valve on/off every time you want to use your Pump that has a Bad check valve!" -- this I find is a rather simple matter when compared to determining how to drain a 30 gallon tank onto a fine pad in a fine rv park without park personnel noticing since the draining of tanks in parks is usually frowned upon -- the valve could be a spring-loaded type, or a manual type, but would not find it bothersome to manually turn it on/off, for the pump location is quite accessible, just inside the basement door
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #17

Somebody is going to be Busy outside during shower time turning on and off that Valve every time that pump cycles! Youroo!!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Somebody is going to be Busy outside during shower time turning on and off that Valve every time that pump cycles! Youroo!!
phunn times in the ol' camp!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #19
Site Team

This problem usually is the result of someone turning on the water pump when connected to City water. When connected to city water, never turn on water pump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #20

I think the suggestion was to insert a check (one way) valve in the pump output side between the pump and shore water interconnect tee. There is no manual selection of valve positioning. This just creates a secondary backflow preventer for your situation. I believe it has been done numerous times per posts on this forum. If you want a manual valve to switch the input side of the pump why not just use the antifreeze hose interconnect valve to redirect the backflow to the antifreeze input hose. Of course this calls for a cap on the end of that hose and you must have an antifreeze hose input selector which most of us do.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank