Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

City Water Solved

This year we setup our 2006 Forest River Surveyor camper at a campground that is all year round. We have sewage and city water capabilities. When we hooked up the hose to the city water we got nothing at all, but the holding tank with the pressure pump works just fine. Is there a valve we need to turn to switch from the holding tank to the city water hookup? Any help would be greatly appreciated
PrimalScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

This may sound like a stupid question but, before you hooked up your hose, did you see if that spiqot worked? the reason that I ask is that on my trailer, there is 2 ports to add water and the city water by-passes the holding tank and does not require the pump to deliver the water to my fixtures as the city water pressure does that. also, there is a screen on the port where you connect your hose to your trailer that may be full of debri that might need to be cleaned.
tracer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to FRF!

First, were you using something to reduce the water pressure and, if so, is it working correctly?

I would next inspect the check valve in the city water connection. This is a spring loaded valve inside the inlet for city water. A broken valve can obstruct the flow of water.

Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Ok, to best possibly answer....the screen for the city water inlet is free of debris and in good shape and the faucets do work with the pressure pump and holding tank. The one thing I did not know about was the spring loaded thing on the inside of the screen. I was inside the camper and my wife turned on the city water and i did hear a small thump. At first I thought and complained to her about giving it full pressure at once instead of slowly, but perhaps the thump was that spring loaded thing stuck. BUT once again, is their a diversion valve from the holding tank and the city water? and also i crawled all over and under the camper looking for a diversion valve and noticed no check valves installed
Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There is no such valve in mine to allow for manually choosing city water or the fresh water tank.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #6

I agree with Triguy about the pressure reducing fitting. I never hook up my water to the city without it. did you just hook your hose from the city to your trailer? that may be the problem. please reply so others can jump in to help you troubleshoot this as without looking at your system we only have your feedback.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #7

I just re-read your last response I have never heard of a "diversion valve" on every trailer that I have seen there is either a city connection port to hook up a water hose or a fill port for your fresh water holding tank. There should never be a valve to switch between the two.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

There is a check valve on the city water hook up. It should be a one way valve that will let water in from the city hook up. When you are not on city water and using the fresh water tank it prevents water from exiting the trailer through the city hook up. As stated this valve might be broken and not allowing city water to enter the trailer. I had the same problem last year. Replaced valve and had good pressure in the trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #9

ok, after looking again at my system, there are no check valves in it, the line goes from the city water port to the the water treatment canister in the bathroom, where the port comes in from outside, then t's off of that to the other parts of the camper. Also, to ask another question about the diversion valve...if there is no such valve, what is stopping the water system from constantly trying to draw from the holding tank and only drawing air if empty? Im sorry to be a pain but i bought the camper used and received no schematics or manuals with it. Oh, and one more thing about the question of reducing the city water pressure.....when we turned the water on, i had the wife turn it on at quarter full, then half, then all the water and at all stages we didnt get a single drop :-(
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #10

the pump is pressure sensitive, city water pressure will prevent the pump from coming on. there is a check valve in the pump to prevent the city water from going through it.where you hook up your water hose to the trailer you should be able to see a button(brass plug) there, this prevents pump water to exit the city water connection maybe that is stuck
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalScream View Post
ok, after looking again at my system, there are no check valves in it... :-(
The check valve is hard to see.

Rather than repost instructions, take a look at this thread. Post 7 by Herk describes how to access it and confirm that it's operating correctly.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

The check valves are there but they are internal to the water sources.

The check valve on the water pump is INSIDE the water pump. It prevents city water from spinning the pump backwards and filling your fresh water tank.

The check valve on the city water connection is located inside the city water connection behind the screen. If your "carefully" remove the screen you will see a while plastic tab pointing at you. It is spring loaded and should move freely with no water pressure on it.

For completeness, there is also a check valve "in line" with the turbo flush, if installed. It is located under the bathroom sink in my 5th wheel.
That check valve prevents a full black tank from siphoning out the hose connection for the flusher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water and Sewer Diagram.gif
Views:	116
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	13693  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #13

Pictures of check valves on city water.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #14

ok, thank you all very much. It is currently raining out so we are at home, but when we get back out to the camper I will check these things out and give an update. Thanks again
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

We have an Ultra-Lite Signature series camper and everything that can be is plastic; including these check valves.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #16

ok, back out at the campground, i tore apart the city water inlet and found that not only was the screen totally clogged but the spring was stuck shut. A quick 20 minute repair and we're in business. Thanks everyone for their ideas...without it I might still be searching.

Tags
led pad