Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,602
The installed factory filter does both tank water and city water in my trailer.
__________________

__________________
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Blackhat6mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St Simons Island, GA
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The installed factory filter does both tank water and city water in my trailer.
X2, but my toilet line Tees off pre-filter and post check valve of the city water. Always had super water pressure at the toilet except when it was new and stopped up with plastic trash. Cleared it out and has worked fine since.
__________________

__________________
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I never carry water in my TT. The type of camping we are doing presently puts us in camps that always have a water connection so I don't see the sense in carrying around all that extra weight. For those rare times we might need to spend one night pulled over in a parking lot just to sleep, we plan ahead and carry 4-5 gallon jugs of water for morning coffee and other needs.

My question ... does a city water connection go thru the water filter? Or does it by-pass it with the assumption that a city connection is already filtered? Just wondering if I need to continue to change the filter every year or not.

Thanks.
I would still use an in line filter I worked at a campground all the plumbing was out dated iron pipe every time you turned water on you would get a shot of rusty water.
__________________
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
mcnabbwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lower Michigan
Posts: 1,366
We travel to many different areas and are never sure of water quality. We utilize a dual canister filter system to remove sediment and improve taste. We run all incoming water through it wether it's tank or city side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	93173  
__________________
Bill & Pam
2014 Trilogy 3650RE
2015 F350 PSD
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We are similar in that we camp with full hookups most of the time and the trailer has a system filter for all incoming water. That said we added city water to the fresh holding tank in Wichita KS this past June and finished our trip about a week later without emptying it out or having to use it. The water in the fresh tank developed a very bad odor which the main filter would not remove. We ended up dumping the tank, adding a chemical just for this purpose ( I forget which one) to the new fresh water and letting it sit for a week or so. It did get rid of the odor and we are good, but now we use an additional filter at the shore connection all the time. I have not noticed any drop in water pressure with both filters connected and now if we want to carry fresh water in the tank we can fill up knowing it is filtered. The blue filters that fit on the supply hose end are not expensive and are easy to use; I just dump the water out of mine and store it on top of the hose in the bay.
You got well water . it will start to smell like rotten eggs in about a week of storage . when ever i know i'm getting well water i make sure it's only in unit for a few days . will really get bad in hwh if left in
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We are similar in that we camp with full hookups most of the time and the trailer has a system filter for all incoming water. That said we added city water to the fresh holding tank in Wichita KS this past June and finished our trip about a week later without emptying it out or having to use it. The water in the fresh tank developed a very bad odor which the main filter would not remove. We ended up dumping the tank, adding a chemical just for this purpose ( I forget which one) to the new fresh water and letting it sit for a week or so. It did get rid of the odor and we are good, but now we use an additional filter at the shore connection all the time. I have not noticed any drop in water pressure with both filters connected and now if we want to carry fresh water in the tank we can fill up knowing it is filtered. The blue filters that fit on the supply hose end are not expensive and are easy to use; I just dump the water out of mine and store it on top of the hose in the bay.
Be careful with storing filters in the bay, on top of the hose as you say...if you are not using the trailer for a few days, a week, whatever, it gets awfully warm in those storage bays and whatever is in that filter can grow and become a science project...when not in use those filters should actually be stored in a fridge.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
kdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 299
Filter for City Water

On the advice of my dealer, when winterizing, I took the filter out, wrapped it in a sandwich bag, and put it in the freezer compartment in the house refrigerator. He said that would kill the bacteria in it and I could put it back in the canister next Spring. Does that seem like good advice?

kdot
__________________
Location: Wisconsin
2017 RPod179
2016 Honda Pilot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 103
Thanks for all the great answers. I'll keep replacing the filter each year. And after reading some of these answers I think I'll look into an inline filter as well.
__________________
2012 Rockwood MiniLite 2104
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
mcnabbwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lower Michigan
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
On the advice of my dealer, when winterizing, I took the filter out, wrapped it in a sandwich bag, and put it in the freezer compartment in the house refrigerator. He said that would kill the bacteria in it and I could put it back in the canister next Spring. Does that seem like good advice?

kdot
I would replace it every year at least. Due to usage I replace a minimum of twice a season.
__________________
Bill & Pam
2014 Trilogy 3650RE
2015 F350 PSD
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I have an onboard filter that all water EXCEPT to the toilet flows through it. Why filter toilet water other than to keep trash out? The pump and T to the toilet are prefilter.
Maybe these were rhetorical questions, but:

Either way, we probably all change the onboard filter every year. It's not like filtering the water going to the toilet will cause anyone to change the filter more often (unless perhaps you're full-time, and actually use a counter).

Plus, that's a 3rd water line that has to be run to the bathroom. Which means more antifreeze to winterize. For me, that would mean having to purchase a 2nd gallon, then store most of it til next year.
__________________

__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.