Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Cleaning black water tank

I would like to hear everyone tips and tricks for cleaning their black tank and keeping the camper smelling fresh!
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Always Learning

I stick my hand down there and clean it well when I do toilets.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Always Learning

Nah, just kidding. I use lots of water during flushing my dookie and when I dump the tanks, I use the black tank flush repeated until my poop-show flows clear water (usually 3-4 times of 6-minutes of water running with the valve closed).
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

X2 on what Ependy said and I also do the following when I get home:

When I get back home from a trip, I fill the BW tank almost full and add some RidX. Let this set for a couple of days, then flush out. Add back about 1/8 tank when finished to keep some water in tank. You do not want it to go dry. This method has worked for me for years on keeping the tanks clean for the next run.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Always Learning

Oh yeah- I put 1-minute worth of water back into the tank after emptying them and I use whatever non-formaldehyde drop-in packet product.

On our 1/2 bath tank, which doesn't have a flush yet, I use 2 packets because it tends to get stinky no matter how hard I try.

To the OP- read about the "geo method". Many people successfully go with that and use no toilet-specific chemicals.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

RidX apparently does not harm the tanks?
That would be my worry. What chemicals would effect wastes only but leave the tanks alone.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Ours is a "tinkle only tank" ~ we use whatever toilet chemicals are available and about 2-3 gallons of fresh water. No issues. The jostling around coming home from camping seems to help keep it clean as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chamber View Post
RidX apparently does not harm the tanks?
That would be my worry. What chemicals would effect wastes only but leave the tanks alone.
Rid-X and Unique's RV Digest-It use enzymes and bacteria to eat paper and body waste and liquefy the solids.

No way to harm the tanks.

It DOES take time and a treatment should be on a near full tank of water for at least 24 -72 hours and then dump. It is not considered "routine" treatment.

I use 1 capful of Liquid Calgon WATER softener (NOT fabric! or SALT) and 1 capful of laundry or dish wash soap in about 5 gallons of water after every dump.

I never use "No stink-um" because the tank has never smelled. The only time I had odors in the bathroom I discovered the "NEVER run the vent fan when flushing" rule. It draws the tank odors into the camper.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #9

When flushing the black water tank, does the water need to be on the regulator to limit the water pressure?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
When flushing the black water tank, does the water need to be on the regulator to limit the water pressure?
I run it full blast.

I also do not use anything that gets connected to the fresh water port on my black and gray water flush connections. I use a double check valve assembly (one at the bib and one at the shutoff valve right before the camper's flush port) when I hook up to the wye at the faucet bib.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #11

Dissolve 2 cups of Borax in 3 gallons of hot water, add 1 cap laundry detergent, pour the solution into black tank. Fill the tank all the way, and let it set for a couple of days. This will help breakup any dried matter in the tank.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I flush with a wand after every tank dump until what comes out of black tank is clear (get a clear elbow connection so you can see what is coming out). Also make sure the black tank is at least 2/3 full before dumping. You can just fill with water to dump if you want to dump it when it isn't full. I then put a few gallons (about 3 or 4 gallons ) water back into it and follow the geo method. Works much better than the drop ins I used to use. Make sure you always keep some water in the black tank to avoid the dreaded stone mountain build-up.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #13

If you do end up with a solid pile in your tank "aka beehive" one method is to put several bags of crushed ice in the tank and go for a good bouncing drive with lots of turns. The ice will break up the pile and some added chem to do its thing. Follow that with a supper flush job and your back in buisness.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Best stuff ever is Raritan KO, which is a enzyme based liquid originally designed for marine use. It is AWESOME. If it works in a marine application, the RV black tank is easy.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
Denver, CO

RARITAN Headchem at West Marine.

Try it, it really work great. Also read Peggy Halls book. Peggy Hall's book, "How to Get Rid of Boat Odors." Work for RV's also.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #16

Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #17

Not everyone has this system available but this works for me: My shop is on a mini-septic system. I made up one of those "macerators" from an old garbage disposal as used in the kitchen of a house. Various videos on the net to do this. I dump when I am leaving a campground and continue home. I won't lie in that I don't always feel like fooling with the tank cleaning that day, most of the time we get home late. The next day I hook up the macerator pump and run the discharge hose (dedicated gray garden hose) to the septic system via a fitting I installed. I empty any water remaining in the tanks first. The grey first by using the macerator pump to pump this to the septic system. I then do the same for the black tank. After they are both empty I run a garden hose through the bath window and let it run into the tub and on to the grey tank with the black tank valve closed. I have a clear fitting on the macerator so I can see the water and run it until it is pretty clear and allow this to empty. I then move the water hose to the toilet and let this run into the black tank while pumping it out. Again I watch until it is very clear and allow to empty. After both tanks have stopped draining any water at all I shut the valves off and put about 5-10 gallons of water into each tank. I then dump a double shot of dry dish washing detergent into each tank and let it sit until the next trip. When we leave the house the water/dish washing stuff is supposed to clean the inside of the tanks as it sloshes going down the road. So far--so good.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #18

Another question, I heard from some neighboring campers various formulas for this. They suggested while driving home, add to tank: water softener, ice, laundry soap, water, to slosh around while the vehicle is in motion, and loosen and clean things up, dump it out later. Any suggestions on the right mixture ?
VibeViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibeViper View Post
Another question, I heard from some neighboring campers various formulas for this. They suggested while driving home, add to tank: water softener, ice, laundry soap, water, to slosh around while the vehicle is in motion, and loosen and clean things up, dump it out later. Any suggestions on the right mixture ?
In the bid scheme of things, there is no wrong answer other than "nothing."

I use 1 capful of Liquid Calgon brand water SOFTENER and a capful of liquid laundry detergent (or dishwasher soap - a couple of healthy squirts if the DW is not looking) in about 5 gallons of water. I do this after every dump of the black tank.

Couple of warnings:

1) WATER SOFTENER - NOT FABRIC SOFTENER - Fabric softener contains wax and it will ruin your level probes.

2) CALGON Water Softener (Dry or Liquid) - NOT water softener SALT. That is for your home SYSTEM to back flush the resin tower.

3) ALWAYS USE LOTS OF WATER (let it run for a good 10 count) when you #2
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #20

Thanks, that sounds like an easy fix, we'll try it.
VibeViper is offline   Reply With Quote