Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Cloudy hot water... why?

I recently noticed (when filling pot for my coffee) that my hot water was cloudy, but the cold water is clear. Both run thru a filter on the way to my faucets.

I know that the hot water would be coming from the water heater, but what exactly is making it cloudy and is there anything I can do to correct?
My TT is only 1 year old...

Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #2

Your hot water should return clear after a few minutes. The hot water contain a lots of oxgygen and should return like clear in your glass after resting a bit. If not you could check your anode. I am sure that your inner water tanks is not starting to rust just after a year.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Saturated air come out of solution when the water is heated. The cloudiness is probably just really small air bubbles. As a test fill a glass with the hot water, if it clears from the bottom up then it is just air bubbles in the water. If it clears from the top down then you have sediment in the water.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
My TT is only 1 year old...
As those before have said, the age of your camper has nothing to do with what you are seeing. This is from an Arizona Water Authority Handout

Clip from Arizona Water Authority

Milky white water is almost always caused by air in the water. One of the many properties of water is its ability to dissolve air. Sometimes the air comes out of the water in the form of many tiny bubbles, which gives water a milky appearance.

Your water comes from deep underground aquifers. The water in these aquifers is naturally under pressure, is relatively cold, and contains air. As water is pumped to the surface and through the water mains in the streets and pipes in your house, it begins to warm and lose some of its ability to keep the air dissolved. But the water is under pressure in the pipes so the air remains in the water.

When you open the faucet and fill your glass with water, the air is free to escape from the water as bubbles, giving the water a milky appearance for a few minutes.
This effect is multiplied when the water comes from a hot water heater. The air has no where to go until it escapes the water heater and out the tap in a very agitated mode.

The anode can cause "debris" in the water as the anode is sacrificed to save your water heater from acidic or hard water. Mineral nodules can form that can clog the plumbing, so in a hard water area or well water area, be alert for slow flushing toilets and slow running faucets.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Not to hijack the tread, but I never drink any water that comes out of the water heater, even if it is going to be boiled. That anode rod is giving up stuff. Plus, I have seen the "slime" and sediment that collects in home water heaters.

Starting with cold water for coffee making works great.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Not to hijack the tread, but I never drink any water that comes out of the water heater, even if it is going to be boiled. That anode rod is giving up stuff. Plus, I have seen the "slime" and sediment that collects in home water heaters.

Starting with cold water for coffee making works great.
fyi your hw heater at home has an anode rod what would be the difference ?

I drain my hw heater after every use . NO slime NO sediments .
Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Could be some left over antifreeze if it got into the heater during winterizing. I would pop the lever on the pressure relief until it cleared.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Could be some left over antifreeze if it got into the heater during winterizing. I would pop the lever on the pressure relief until it cleared.
I did not think of this!
Synergism in action.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

Thanks... sounds like in my TT it's probably just the oxygen air bubbles from the hot water. I'm also in a hard water area. My TT has only been used maybe 6 times (2011 Rockwood barely used when I bought it) and has never been winterized in FL.
Also, it took me a while to locate the empty water filter, but I installed the filter just before my last trip.