Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #31
CampeRooo

good advise rockwood06. I'll do the test prior to dumping into the tank and see how it goes. It's still cold, snowing, and windy here these days, so i have some time to play around with it. As far as the CLR idea, i think i've finally decided that I won't use it at this point. It's not so much the short term effects, but rather it's the long term effects of any chemical that changed my mind. So if vinegar doesn't work, off to the store i go to pick up the gas/electric combo setup. The tank is 9 years old at this point anyway, so better to be safe then sorry in the end. Know what i mean?

I'll hit the store and pickup some white vinegar and test it out on some pieces first and then if it's a go, i'll hit sams this weekend. I'll take some more photos and show the results from all the ideas everyone gave me and post them in here once it's all done with. Maybe someone else will benefit from this thread too.

Cheers!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
CLASS "A" Senior Member

When I'm ready to rinse the tank I use a home made wand similar to the Toilet / Black Tank Hose wand with a valve. The difference is I made it out of 1/2" copper pipe with a cap on the end. I purchased and assembled the following.

1- 1/2" Sweat Gate Valve
1- 1/2" Copper Male Adapter
1- 1/2" Copper Cap
1- 2ft length of 1/2" Copper Pipe
1- 1/2" MPT to Female Hose Adapter

I cut a 6" piece off the end of the pipe and soldered it between the 1/2" male adapter and the gate valve. Soldered the cap on the 18" piece of pipe and soldered the other end to the gate valve. Do check the flow arrow on the valve!. I then screwed the hose adapter on with teflon tape on the threads. I then took a battery drill with a 1/16" drill bit and drilled 3 holes staggered in the end of the cap, 2 more at a 45 degree angle through the solder joint where the cap meets the pipe. Then I just drilled 6 holes around the pipe back to 6" from the cap and staggered them. Hook your hose up and you'd be amazed the pressure of the water coming out. Watch out for those 45 degree holes because if done correctly they shoot back towards you. This wand will fit in any water heater tank drain. Just insert in the hole in the tank then turn it on. move it around, back and forth and the residue rinses right out.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #33
CampeRooo

Nice!
That last post would be great as a sticky with directions and photos of the wand. Sounds like you put quite a bit of thought into it and came up with a very useful tool. Ever think about patenting and selling? Bet you'd have some buyers

Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #34
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
Nice!
That last post would be great as a sticky with directions and photos of the wand. Sounds like you put quite a bit of thought into it and came up with a very useful tool. Ever think about patenting and selling? Bet you'd have some buyers
I've posted some pictures in an album of the wand. Directions are in the previous posting. It's not very difficult to do.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...php?albumid=34

The wand could also be made out of 1/2" CPVC materials. I already had some of the copper items so I figured I use them rather then buying everything in CPVC.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #35

I posted A link for the MSDS sheet back on page #3 thread #30 on CLR, is there any body able to pull it up, I can from work but not on my home computer?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #36

Post #15 on page 2. See link to Material Safety Data Sheets on CLR products.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Post #15 on page 2. See link to Material Safety Data Sheets on CLR products.

Thanks milzat, I didn't see that before I posted. It's the same one I posted from our MSDS book.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #38
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I've posted some pictures in an album of the wand. Directions are in the previuos posting. It's not very difficult to do.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...php?albumid=34

The wand could also be made out of 1/2" CPVC materials. I already had some of the copper items so I figured I use them rather then buying everything in CPVC.

Awesome, thank you. I wanted to see what you were explaining with the holes that were drilled in it. Those are good pics and it looks very easy to put together. well done

Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #39
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
Awesome, thank you. I wanted to see what you were explaining with the holes that were drilled in it. Those are good pics and it looks very easy to put together. well done
No problem. It does make it real simple to rinse the water heater. If added pressure is needed the holes are small enough that they can be soldered over to reduce the number of outlets.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #40
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Has anyone considered what it would cost to buy 6 gallons of CLR to fill your water heater in order to soak it?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote