Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Coachmen Freedom Express 191RB Water Heater

Hello, new to the forum and first time RV owner.

I'm looking for some info about the water heater on my Coachmen 191RB, the manual and internet haven't been very helpful.

I'm not too sure where the water heater and bypass is located, I looked behind the panel under the stove and didn't see it. Could it be under the bathroom sink?

Also I'm looking for the proper steps of dewinterizing it before I turn on the water heater because I don't want to damage it. I'm confident with filling the fresh water tank and turning on the pump, then running all the cold taps, and then hot taps but after that I am fuzzy because I don't know where the bypass is. After I run the taps I turn off the bypass (whever it is?) and let it fill and then turn on the water heater?

I see a valve in the external access area, there is a plug sitting in there as well. I assume this isn't the bypass, but possibly a valve to drain the water heater? Would I need to put the plug into the valve?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Look outside of your trailer for this type cover which would be for your water heater. Inside your unit opposite this cover, usually you have access to water heater by-pass valves through a door or removable panel. If you have a 3 valves arrangement then see below for proper valve position. What type and model of water heater do you have when you find it? Second picture is summer position and third pictures if for winter position (by-pass)
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the help, I found the internal access for the water heater and it did have the 3 valves. I'm not sure who the maker is though, I couldn't see any serial numbers or anything on the inside (I didn't look on the outside). I didn't see an on/off switch like some people were talking about on here, but then I have a propane/dsi switch and a separate electric switch mounted on the wall.

The only thing now I am curious about is the valve and plug on the outside access. I believe there is a bass pressure release valve, but then I also have what looks like a fitting that I can connect a hose to along with a plug that i can screw into that fitting.

Is this a drain for the hot water tank and I need to put this plug back into the fitting before I fill the tank?

Edit: Ok so after some more searching on here and the internet I believe I have a 6 gallon Atwood water heater. So if that's the case that valve and plug are for sure the drain and I will need to put that in before I fill the tank. I think what threw me for a loop was that I was expecting there to be an anode with that plug, but apparently with the Atwood there is no anode.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Here a couple manuals for Atwood water heater. Hope it matches your unit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood Water Heater (MPD 93756).pdf (425.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: pdf atwood water heater MPD 93050 PS 4.9.09.pdf (3.62 MB, 101 views)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote