Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

commode valve dometric 300

Just purchased a Salem Lite from Jeff Couch's RV nation.
After hooking the water line to it I discovered the valve for the commode is cracked.

Unit is brand new, not sure what to expect from our dealler, waitting for a reply from the dealler. In the mean time a few days without the commode is horrible this is a hard plastic valve an the defective place creates a fine mist spray, wonder if there is a product we could use for a temporary glue.

I M asssuming using the holding tank with water pump I can eliminate some of the constant presure, and mess but any advice on a cement or glue would be helpful
Rickhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pics of broken part?

This should have been caught during pdi.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

Pic of valve

The defect won't show on pic. Commode only has one valve,

Do small it's a mist,
Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Pics of broken part?

This should have been caught during pdi.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Obviously no water was run through the unit on pre delivery, About the last wk of March??
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Always Learning

These valves are inexpensive and easy to replace. It sucks but this cracking from improper winterization is common. I'd assume the dealer ran water to verify the systems and then it froze.

If it's a huge hassle going without a toilet, any RV dealer will carry the toilet valve. They're anywhere from $30-45.

OR in the meantime, you turn off the water and unscrew the water supply to the toilet valve. There is a plug at Home Depot that fits this threading for a buck or two. It cuts all water to the toilet, so you'll need to either use the shower head or a container of water for flushing.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Always Learning

As for pics- the freeze damage does actually show. It just looks like a white spot on the back side of the toilet valve.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
These valves are inexpensive and easy to replace. It sucks but this cracking from improper winterization is common. I'd assume the dealer ran water to verify the systems and then it froze.

If it's a huge hassle going without a toilet, any RV dealer will carry the toilet valve. They're anywhere from $30-45.

OR in the meantime, you turn off the water and unscrew the water supply to the toilet valve. There is a plug at Home Depot that fits this threading for a buck or two. It cuts all water to the toilet, so you'll need to either use the shower head or a container of water for flushing.
We took it off the lot in late March. Kept inside an no temps came near a freeze
They didn't run any water through it or it was so fast the issue was over looked
Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhise View Post
We took it off the lot in late March. Kept inside an no temps came near a freeze

They didn't run any water through it or it was so fast the issue was over looked

I meant that my bet is that they ran water through it and then it either wasn't winterized or wasn't done fully. Once it froze after (but before you took ownership) that is when the problem occurred.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the water valve itself.

I only say all of this because I have had 2 broken water valves due to improper winterizations in back to back years. You live and learn.

I was also trying to give you some alternatives to waiting for the dealer to take care of it since you mentioned it was a hassle.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #9

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I meant that my bet is that they ran water through it and then it either wasn't winterized or wasn't done fully. Once it froze after (but before you took ownership) that is when the problem occurred.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the water valve itself.

I only say all of this because I have had 2 broken water valves due to improper

I was also trying to give you some alternatives to waiting for the dealer to take care of it since you mentioned it was a hassle.
thanks. The suggestion is doable using a shut off an having a pale handy will work. I'll have to re read is there a shut off for just that line to commode or do I need to put one in the line?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhise View Post
thanks. The suggestion is doable using a shut off an having a pale handy will work. I'll have to re read is there a shut off for just that line to commode or do I need to put one in the line?

Most camper's don't have shut offs for the toilets. I didn't add one, I just had a plug for the line to "cap" it off.

What I did was- 1) turned off water to the camper 2) put down towels to catch the spray/drip 3) held the toilet flush down to empty the line 4) disconnected the toilet valve from the water line 5) twisted on the plug/cap

It was some water but not a ton. The towel handled it.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

Pic of valve

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	74867
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #12

Do you remember what size plug you used on the water line?

Thanks,
Rick

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy-rick View Post
Do you remember what size plug you used on the water line?
I don't. If I recall, we took the toilet valve to HD with us.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #14

Easy Change

I removed the part and brought it to my dealer. The warranty people gave me a new one and I swapped it out on my own. Don't worry if the part looks different from the original, it still clicks in nice and easy and works properly.

Tags
modifications