Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #1

Counter top drinking water install

I wanted an economical, on demand, method of providing taste free drinking water without filtering shower, toilet and sink water as well.

I bought this from Camping World for $57, it is an easy install also designed for winterizing. The water has no smell of chlorine and tastes just great.

Culligan RV-EZ-3 Under sink Water Filter Kit with Faucet - Culligan International RV-EZ-3 - Water Filtration - Camping World

Here are the items unpacked, note the small round object with the two spigots, this is the winterizing blank which allows removal of the filter cartridge so that antifreeze can be circulated. Also taped to the filter is a battery which is for the filter change warning light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09758.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	22092

We have a rear kitchen arrangement so access to the rear of the sink is easy. Choose a location for your new drinking water faucet that is convenient and mark with a pencil where the 5/8ths hole for the threaded pipe must go then check carefully underneath to ensure that your location gives enough space for the large washer and nut and does not interfere with any pipes or electrical cables. Use a tape to measure and remeasure the location before you start drilling holes. Also ask the DW if she is happy with the location.

Name:	DSC09759.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	22083

When you are 100% sure your location and pencil mark is correct drill a small 1/8th inch pilot hole, check underneath to make sure the hole is where you expected it to be. If all okay use a 5/8ths drill bit to make the hole larger. My largest drill bit was only 3/8ths so i used that and used a rat tailed file to enlarge the hole enough so that the new faucet threaded pipe would fit through.

Name:	DSC09761.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	22086

Install the new faucet into the hole and from underneath install the large metal washer and nut to finger tight.

Name:	DSC09764.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	22087

Turn off the city water supply and drain any water out of the cold side of the system by opening the cold water on your kitchen faucet. Have some absorbent material at the ready to mop up a few drips. Disconnect the cold water supply line from the cold water inlet pipe, this may be only finger tight, if not use an adjustable wrench or pliers depending on your fitting to loosen the fitting. The photo shows the cold water fitting disconnected and the new T fitting in position prior to fitting. Note: the new faucet is installed but not yet tightened to finger tight.

Name:	DSC09765.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	22088

Here is the T installed, all fittings tightened finger tight then snugged up half a turn with a wrench. I applied Teflon tape to both the threaded faucet pipe and to the male threaded part of the T. The nut on the new faucet has been tightened in this photo.

Name:	DSC09767.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	22089

Next we need to mount the filter cartridge holder, choosing the correct location is important, it must be accessible and the screws that hold it in place must be screwed into something solid. I chose the inside frame of the kitchen unit but used shorter screws than those supplied so that they would not protrude through the wood. You must have a total of 16 inches so that there is enough clearance to exchange cartridges.

Name:	DSC09769.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	22090

Next install the tubes that carry the water, three of the fittings are simply push fit and one is a compression type. Cut the tube with a sharp knife make sure you have enough so that there are no tight turns or kinks. From the T to the left side of the cartridge holder (it is marked IN) these are both push fit. Then from the right side of the cartridge (marked out) this is a push fit, install the tube and then the other end is a compression fit to the new faucet, the enclosed instructions show clearly how this compression fitting works. Wet the ends of the tubes when it is a push fit. Use a cable tie to tidy up the tubes and keep them out of the way.

Name:	DSC09771.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	22091

This photo shows the cartridge installed it simply pushes in and a 1/4 turn locks it and the water tubes in place.

Name:	DSC09772.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	22093

Turn on the city water and check for leaks, then install the battery.

The unit comes with a battery operated warning light that flashes when the cartridge needs changing. Strangely there is no mention of this in the instructions, the instructions are excellent but this is missing, I think this is a recent modification and the instructions have not been updated.

The battery fits in this slot, it flashes red, turn on the water, let it run, turn off the water and the flashing red light stops and will probably not flash again until the cartridge need changing. the cartridge is good for 6 months or 500 gallons.

Name:	DSC09770.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	22094

Job done!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Nice writeup and good job on the install. So you're going to stop using a whole house filter completely? I think I may do this mod, but keep the other filter also.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Nigel,

Does the filter "bypass" when removed so you can winterize it?

Darn I should have paid more attention to the first photo.
It explains about the "winterizing blank."

Awesome.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the awesome play by play install! I will add this to my list of mods in spring when the TT comes out of it's winter hibernation. Awesome information like this is why I read this forum daily (sometimes a few time a day).

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #5

Nice write-up. I have a carbon filter in my whole house system which eliminates foul tastes and odors. If not, I'd install that Culligan system fosho.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Nice writeup and good job on the install. So you're going to stop using a whole house filter completely? I think I may do this mod, but keep the other filter also.
I didnt read that he was going to remove the W/H filter. He just added the filter in the galley. He could add a charcoal filter to the W/H filter for better (Tasting) water in the water closet. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
I am going to replace the house filter with a resovoir when Herk posts the install information, Hint, Hint, then just use a Wally World in line filter on the hose.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
I wanted an economical, on demand, method of providing taste free drinking water without filtering shower, toilet and sink water as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
I am going to replace the house filter with a resovoir when Herk posts the install information, Hint, Hint, then just use a Wally World in line filter on the hose.
Yea, that part threw me off.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Nigel,

Posted the other day:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-32137.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Thanks Lou missed that, it's the long words that threw me