Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #1

Crack in freshwater tank looking for options

I have crack in the bottom of the fresh water tank near the drain fitting. I am looking at either a Polyethylene plastic repair tool, repairing myself (assuming it is a Polyethylene Tank) or replacing the tank, myself.
I'm looking for experienced opinions here, how difficult is either option?
I have 2017 Greywolf 26-RR Toy Hauler.
Thanks
Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Need to be able to get a heat gun in there to cure this but it has good reviews.
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...d_adhesive/435
Old 06-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Depends on what type of crack and how much it is leaking.
One friend repaired a major crack by plastic welding. Repair lasted two years before recracking along the edge of the weld.
Another fixed a hairline crack by using flex tape. Still holding after three years.
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #4

last year a squirrel ate a large hole into my FW tank. I called my local dealer and had a new replacement tank from Forest River within 10 days....shipping to Canada cost more than the tank.....now I have a tank good for as long as I own the TT.
Happy camping
Old 06-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

Another option is Loctite Plastic Bonder.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...0788/100371824

It sticks really well to all kinds of plastic and is durable as heck.

I used something similar from Loctite to re-attach a inside door handle on an old Ford Explorer. Lasted another 5 years before I sold it.

If the ends of the crack are visible, I'd drill small "stop holes" at each end. Just use the smallest drill bit you have, preferably less than 1/8". This will stop the crack from growing. Also, "V" out the crack using a small burr on a Dremel tool. Don't go all the way through the tank material, just the first half or so. this will both widen the surface the "Bonder" will attach to but also make a thicker layer of patching material instead of just a bead on the surface. Just like welding metal for a repair.

Stuff is a little pricey but a lot less than replacing the tank, especially when factoring in all the labor to remove and replace.

BTW, drain the tank first and make sure the repair area is dry. Compressed air and hair dryer, even tip trailer so any remaining water is away from damaged area.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

I have the same trailer. My fresh water tank was only held in place with 3 sheet metal straps between the frame members. The tank bowed down so much the drain was riding on top of the axle. Had to push it back up & install 4 pieces of angle iron to hold it up flush with frame. I would bet that is why your tank cracked... Better check yours & support it better if needed.

Good luck
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
I have the same trailer. My fresh water tank was only held in place with 3 sheet metal straps between the frame members. The tank bowed down so much the drain was riding on top of the axle. Had to push it back up & install 4 pieces of angle iron to hold it up flush with frame. I would bet that is why your tank cracked... Better check yours & support it better if needed.

Good luck
I believe it was a drain fitting that hit the axle.
Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

I'll second the Flex Tape fix. I haven't had to use it in my camper, but did in the house. The double kitchen sink developed a hole in one of the bends before the two drains meet. We had some Flex tape so I tried that. It worked great even with problems getting the tape around the bend. Also it's a lot easier than the methods mentioned. Just make sure the surface is clean from any grease or dirt.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

I repaired one with two part epoxy, was able to brush it on after it was completely dry.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, tank, water, water tank