Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Crack in galley grey tank

While doing dishes, my neighbor knocked on my door stating that water was leaking from under my camper. Went to check and found a crack where the drain pipe is "welded" to the tank. Need advice or suggestions to repair this crack. Thinking of Flex Seal, but not sure.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
While doing dishes, my neighbor knocked on my door stating that water was leaking from under my camper. Went to check and found a crack where the drain pipe is "welded" to the tank. Need advice or suggestions to repair this crack. Thinking of Flex Seal, but not sure.
I've heard of people heat welding it. But depending on what the tank is made of it is very hard to just repair it since many sealants and typical products will not bond to the tank.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #3

If it were me I'd try plumber's putty. It's a two-part epoxy putty. You cut off the amount you think you'll need, then knead it until the two colors become one. It will start getting hot. Then form it around the plug / crack. Try to force it into the crack if possible.

And I think I would first scuff up the plastic around the crack to give the putty more to grab ahold of.

Depending on the size and location of the crack, I might even enlargen the crack to ensure the putty get's all the way through.

But that's just me, I'm a cheapskate. You should probably try doc73's advice first.

I've done some pretty surprising things with plumber's putty, though...

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #4

I've had good luck with JB Weld, has to be dry
Old 12-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
First, if your camper is newer or you have an extended warranty take it in. I don't see anything in your sig to know is the only reason I state that.

You can try that spray but it wont be a permanent fix and may get you through in a pinch but could make it harder to fix later.

Find out what your tank is made of and what the drain pipe is made out of. I suspect it is abs, I had a crack in my FR EVO 2015 drain plumbing and it was all ABS. I used plasti-mend to fix it. I will put the link below. Plasti mend only works for ABS and it worked great for me (Im not affiliated with them at all, they were good to work with and customer service was great). I never had any problems with that area after the patch up in the next year and a half I owned it.

They have a page that helps you identify your type of plastic

http://www.plasti-mend.com/

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

Those poly/ABS tanks can be tough to repair.

A friend of mine tried most everything suggested above.
Then he tried Eternabond tape. It worked.
Cleaned the tank with their cleaner/primer, attached the tape and rolled it on.
Not sure if the repair is still holding as we moved and haven't seen them in a few years.
Worth a try.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #7

I fixed a two leaks in my last camper, one black tank and one gray water tank. Plasti Mend did the trick. No leaks after several years.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwo View Post
If it were me I'd try plumber's putty. It's a two-part epoxy putty. You cut off the amount you think you'll need, then knead it until the two colors become one. It will start getting hot. Then form it around the plug / crack. Try to force it into the crack if possible...
That is not plumbers putty but pro-poxy, or similar. It's a two part epoxy that will get very hard when set up. You can sand,cut, file etc after set up.
Not sure how it would hold up on the tank as the plastic will expand and contract with temperature changes as well as flex while traveling.
Good luck with the mend.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJC View Post
That is not plumbers putty but pro-poxy, or similar. It's a two part epoxy that will get very hard when set up. You can sand,cut, file etc after set up.
Not sure how it would hold up on the tank as the plastic will expand and contract with temperature changes as well as flex while traveling.
Good luck with the mend.
I stand corrected. One brand calls it 'plumber's epoxy putty,' but a generic name would just be epoxy putty.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #10

We are full timers so our Black " poly " tank is filled and emptied on a weekly basis.

Upon visiting a workshop in the Elkhart area , we were show how to electric weld a tank.
We had a crack 6 inches long in our black tank and cut it deeper and drilled holes in each end to stop the crack from continuing and had tried several other ideas to stop the leak.
After arriving home, my Son and I used a hot air- electric welder from Harbour Freight, to repair the black " poly " tank,
Have had no issues in the two years since it was welded.

Tags
crack, tank