Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #1

Cross threaded toilet drain

While de winterizing my 2013 Sabre , I noticed the threads on the toilet drain were cross threaded and it appears that the installers tried to remedy any potential leaks by "caulking" the threads with some sort of mystery substance. Needless to say, it now leaks and the cross threaded collar holding the drain fitting won't unscrew. Will I have to cut out and replace the whole fitting or does someone know of a better solution? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460649073.220964.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	104870

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

I thought the flanges were just glued on? Looks like standard pvc to me. Any warranty left?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

No warranty...not sure about how it is attached...looks threaded. The view is from the "basement" of the Fiver. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated

Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 04-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

If it is glued, can I just glop a bunch of something on there and hope for the best? Since it is not pressurized...

Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

My only concern, if you are able to remove and "fix it right", is that it will alter the angle of the pipe to your tank, and it isn't going to be flexible enough to get all the pieces back together (and if they are manipulated to get it all together, does it put pressure on certain joints creating a bigger problem down the road). If that makes sense. Perhaps the appearance of it being cross threaded doesn't actually mean it is, and what you see is "normal" based on their design? Though I share your concerns, when something doesn't look right, usually its cuz it isn't right

Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

They used a 3" mobile home or standard threaded female toilet flange. Both of those are long enough to extend through the floor assembly. Then the cross threaded into it a threaded-spigot male adapter and followed up the quality job by attempting to glue a solvent weld 45 to the male adapter at some goofy angle it was not meant to be at. Amish plumbing I suppose.

The material is ABS by the way.

I would pull the toilet and install a new toilet flange, a solvent weld female with a short stub of pipe. I would cut the 45 fitting off and re plumb the line so it turns and aligns with the stub coming from the flange, then I would connect those with a 3" shielded fernco coupling.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

Semper Fi your point is well taken… Any fix that I attempt that involves fitting a square peg into a round hole so to speak, will create further problems down the road. Return

Mr. Havercamp... Your solution is probably right way to go, but it presupposes a skill with plumbing that unfortunately I do not possess. If I were to attempt to solve this problem temporarily, until I can Bring it to Goshen and have the pros take a look at it, is there a substance or glue or some sort of wrap that I could put around the existing connection to temporarily solve the problem? Thank you both so much for your advice in this matter

Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Well you could sand it a little with some course sandpaper and then schmooo it up real good with some caulk which would get you by for awhile.

Do you have any eternabond tape, you could wrap it up with that?

Every piece you need is at Lowes or Home Depot and then a can of ABS glue, a hacksaw and screw driver. Probably less than $30 for everything.
No better time than now to learn plumbing. Just remember.

Hots on the left,
Colds on the right,
Poop runs downhill,
Don't chew your fingernails!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
Head Rambler

Since it's not a pressurized connection you could wrap it with rubber splicing tape (130C, etc.). That will conform to the piping and create a seal on the uneven surfaces. You can also remove it when it comes time to repair it correctly.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

If you can get the area really clean with the proper solvent, and lightly sand it, you could use a fiberglass cloth/resin ( you can buy a kit) and tightly wrap the resin soaked cloth around the joint to seal it on a temporary basis. If you decide to go this route, find a short video on one of the "social sites" to give you an understanding of the basic fiberglassing process.
If I lived closer to you, I'd be happy to do it for you. Also, if you have any questions on the fiberglass process, send me a private message and i'll help you any way I can. Good luck, Ron

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain