Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Why does that matter? Still needs to clean his sensors. IMO the best way is with a good steam of water and it should be rinsed out every time he flushes AND let the tank fill up pretty full before flushing. Just seems to work better.
YMMV
Then some of the suggestions do not work. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade837 View Post
Seems one common theme is that the factory flush is useless.
the factory flush is just a spray in all directions not a pointed jet,... and if its like our trailer it is mounted on the exhaust end of the tank, just above the drain line,..... before discovering that I would run my ff while draining, thinking that it was mounted on the opposite side and that it is helping to push the flow towards the drain, .... but since its on the drain side, if running the flush while draining, the spray is actually interfering with the flow towards the drain, so it could be holding back solids and paper that you want to flow out, ... so now I run the flush, then stop and open the drain valve and let it flow out,...... a few times of that routine and it is clean... my factory flush actually does do a good job of cleaning when using it this way,.......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
Our Puma Unleashed black tank meter said 3/4 the day it was brand new. (last July)

Last weekend someone visiting flushed several tampons and stopped up the .... tank.

Garden hose IN the toilet, let the tank completely fill 4 times and completely dump 4 times and now the black tank gauge works as designed!!! We have a factory installed black tank flush that has never helped the sensor issue.

Might be worth a try!

IF your shower head is as close to the toilet as ours (and you have a lot of patience), one could fill the tank through the toilet with the shower head if they so desired.......... Being a toy hauler, I simply drug the hose in through the garage to do the deed.
So, he should put a few tampons in the tank?

Bruce
Old 06-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Install a Blue Streak and use 50-50 mix of Super Clean and water in it. Solves the problem.

Chemical Dispensing Systems for RV & Marine | Blue Streak LLC
On a side note.. I think you MIGHT have been using Pine Sol and Water or similar and it jelled up some time ago (in another thread). Ever figure out why or if it was just getting old and separating?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
On a side note.. I think you MIGHT have been using Pine Sol and Water or similar and it jelled up some time ago (in another thread). Ever figure out why or if it was just getting old and separating?
I have a similar mixture sitting on a shelf waiting to see if it jells like it did in the Blue Streak. Been sitting on the shelf for about 7 weeks and it has not jelled yet.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #26

I have used this gadget on 4 different trailers now and seldom had problems with any of the tank sensors giving a false reading afterwards. I install them in both the black and grey tanks were the nozzle is spraying directly on the tank sensors to rinse them off. It's called Camco Quickie Flush. I test the spray pattern first before installing and drill a couple larger holes to spray toward the sensors.
Attached Images

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I have a similar mixture sitting on a shelf waiting to see if it jells like it did in the Blue Streak. Been sitting on the shelf for about 7 weeks and it has not jelled yet.
Ok thanks.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #28
Site Team

Does your shower head reach your toilet? If so, fill the tank with hot, soapy water from the shower, let sit a while then drain.
Maybe hot water can dissolve hardened waste, if that's the problem. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
So, he should put a few tampons in the tank?

Bruce
Heck NO!!!

That's what started the whole mess and the happy ending was my sensors started working right for the first time.

Trust me, I was just fine with the fact that the sensors did not work! LOL

I feel like a real tool putting a sign in the bathroom stating NO tampons in the toilet, but I am NOT going through that ordeal again!!! LOL
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
I have used this gadget on 4 different trailers now and seldom had problems with any of the tank sensors giving a false reading afterwards. I install them in both the black and grey tanks were the nozzle is spraying directly on the tank sensors to rinse them off. It's called Camco Quickie Flush. I test the spray pattern first before installing and drill a couple larger holes to spray toward the sensors.
the Quickie Flush does a great job, I've installed 4, two gray tanks and two black tanks, on two previous tt,..... I actually have two more hanging in my garage, bought to install on our present trailer, Micro Lite 25KS,..... I bought them before the trailer, not knowing that it would come with a factory installed flush unit and when I was informed(and then verified) that the factory flush unit was mounted on the drain side, which IMO is the wrong side, I was preparing to install one on the opposite side of the black tank,..... but , first did a test and discovered that the factory unit does clean well if used in a certain way(see post #22),...... IMO any tank without a factory flush unit should have a Quickie Flush installed.....................

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #31

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
X2. Always at least at 2/3 no matter what. 10 gallons is a lot of crap especially for 2 people so I look at them occasionally out of curiosity but don't get alarmed when they show full.
X3

Learned a long time ago to ignore the sensors and use the computer between your ears. Based on how long and how many people are using the facilities the internal math professor tells me I should probably dump.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #32

I've noticed that the sensors in my tank read full immediately after flushing the toilet, even when the tank is empty. The sensors must get wet after a toilet flush. After 30 minutes or so, they read closer to actual levels.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #33

In a edition to the black tank flush I use a tank wand to clean the tank. We use plenty of tank treatment and nothing goes in the toilet but 1 and 2. We have a small trash can with liners for paper that goes to the outside trash after each use. May not be the most fun thing to do but sure does safe a lot of maintenance headache.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #34

My trailer came with a black tank flush but the new MH did not, so I installed the Camco Quickie Flush. I find the most effective way to use that is to pull the black drain valve handle and once it's mostly drained I fire up the sprayer. Then after it looks like most of the crud is out of the tank (a clear elbow in the line is essential) I close the drain and let the sprayer fill the tank... I go inside and monitor the gauge until is says 2/3 full then head out and pull the drain handle again. It's amazing how much additional "stuff" comes out when you do that. I find after doing that about twice all I get is clear water, at which point I shut off the sprayer and let the tank drain completely before proceeding to the gray tank.

I realize if your gauges don't work it will be hard to judge when the tank is really 2/3 full... and you DON'T want to completely fill it!

I also use the GEO method - that, and the flushing method above seems to keep things working properly.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #35

My buddy with a 200k class A always has thus problem. He told me he was tired of trying to fix them so he just listens to the sound of the plop to know when to pull.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #36

I just wait for it to burp.

or

When we leave the RV Park whichever comes first.

All the sensors are completely unreliable.

We have the ability to dump once we get home so I thoroughly clean when we get home.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade837 View Post
Driving me crazy! I've got a 2015 PrimeTime 328res and the tank sensors are driving me nuts! I'm getting the phantom readings (as usual) and trying to get them to clear. I recently switched to the GEO method for tank maintenance. I'm up to about the fourth flush using softener, detergent and bleach. But the damn thing won't read any less than 3/4 full no matter what! I've flushed the tank using the built in black water flush. Any other ideas? I'm in for the season so driving around with ice cubes in the tank is out.
The only idea I can help you with is come to the realization that the darn things just don't work as anticipated.
We are also seasonal, therefore what ever accuracy the probes did have will now be even less reliable.
What I found on ours is when the tanks get close to being full then the probes seem to kick in and show full and really, that's all I need to know anyway. Why do I care if it's half full.

If you really want the gauges to work maybe try these

RV Holding Tank Sensors - Get accurate grey and black holding tank monitor readings

i just think that whatever methods/tricks anyone tries, you won't ever get the manufactures probes to work probably.

Relax and learn the signs when the tanks are getting full.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupkin2 View Post
The only idea I can help you with is come to the realization that the darn things just don't work as anticipated.
We are also seasonal, therefore what ever accuracy the probes did have will now be even less reliable.
What I found on ours is when the tanks get close to being full then the probes seem to kick in and show full and really, that's all I need to know anyway. Why do I care if it's half full.

If you really want the gauges to work maybe try these

RV Holding Tank Sensors - Get accurate grey and black holding tank monitor readings

i just think that whatever methods/tricks anyone tries, you won't ever get the manufactures probes to work probably.

Relax and learn the signs when the tanks are getting full.

John
I agree, mine always seem to read full correctly as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #39

Just my experience, but despite the hassel and trouble, for me nothing works better than a tank wand with good water pressure (60 psig). I prefer the wand with one (1) nozzle so I can direct it right at the lever sensors to break loose any stuck material and to sweep the bottom and sides to push solids towards the drain.
Al Fiallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #40

Our VT monitor has shown full for 2 seasons. Have tried it all. In this day of technology someone should be able to come up with a fix. So what if it cost $100.00 more for something that works as advertised.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, black