Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

De winterize-water pump

We have a 2014 Microlite 21RD. After flushing antifreeze and bleaching the lines everything works fine on the city water hook up. When we try using the water from the holding tank and pump it runs for @ 5 seconds then starts spitting air and some water. Could we have one of the valves in the wrong position or do we have bigger issues? Any thoughts are appreciated.
premiumtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
clr

You have a foot or so of water hose that connects the water pump to the tank when you flush the city water you get the air out of most of the water lines but not the pump or the foot or so of water line. Therefore it normally takes the pump a few seconds running to pull water out of the tank and prime its self. Then you have to run water until the air in that foot or so of hose and the pump have moved thru the system. Sounds very normal operation to me the spitting should stop after a short time running the water.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

Have you tried letting it run for a minute or so to purge the air out? Mine will do that for a while, then it clears and water starts flowing.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
clr

By the way make sure that you have water in your water heater before you turn it on. If you try and run the water heater with no water you will burn out the heater elements. That is the area with the most confusing valves. Just for your information here.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

I have found that if I use the city water to fill the water heater with the pop off valve open then close it after the air escapes - then go in the trailer & do the same with all faucets "both hot & cold". This will take care of air in the water lines etc.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

De winterize-water pump

Thank you all for your suggestions. We have tried blowing the air out of the water heater via relief valve and opening faucets when hooked to city line. Then open faucets using pump only and keep getting the air burp and a little water. Pump keeps running and water doesn't want to flow as it should. I will post solution once we figure it out. Thanks again.
premiumtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Have you turned tbe valve from the anti freeze inlet to off? I'm assuming your tt has one.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
clr

I agree with jimandchris here sounds like the diverter valve is open, to the hose that you put in the antifreeze to winterize the unit. The diverter valve is close to the input side of the water pump normally. When in the winterize position the pump draws antifreeze from a hose placed into the antifreeze. When the diverter valve is in the normal operation mode the pump draws water from the fresh water tank. If in the winterize position it will draw air into the hose and you will have your problem description. The city water will work normally in the winterize position because there is a backflow valve that keeps the water from flowing back thru the pump and out the hose for winterization.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Have you turned tbe valve from the anti freeze inlet to off? I'm assuming your tt has one.
Not sure if you have a shut off valve from the tank to the pump, but that may be closed as well....

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump, winter, winterize