Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Brigitte

De-winterizing today first time experience and observations

We de-winterized our TT today for the first time. Thanks for forest river forum group people, the task wasn't so daunting.
The dealer winterized the unit for us last year as part of the deal.

This is what we came across:

The hwt by-pass was left in the open position and the cold/hot water on the hwt were left on the closed position.
The water pump as a winterizing kit to it and that was left in the winterizing position.
So I turned the waterpump fresh water valve on, turned the winterizing one off. The water pump as a leak where it connect to pump, turning it a quarter turn slowed the leak to a trickle. This will be fine for the upcoming trip, waiting for more to be done on warranty work before bringing it in. If it leaks more, I am sure I could fix this with a little more torque on the screw.
I added fresh water to the fwt, and after a few minutes if that, realized that the fwt drain was open under the tt :O
After turning it off, fwt filled quikly. We then turned warterpump on, and open cold water on closest sink to the pump , let water run a few minutes. We did all the taps, including shower and toilet. After all that done, we moved hose to city water and did it all over again, while fwt was draining.
When all done, Imturned the valve to on on hwt, and then realized I had to place the anode? Whatever you callmit thing back in place . Once filled, we turned hot water (which was cold cuz we didn't have power or propane on) run in all sinks and shower.
We then emptied hwt again, shut all the valves outside, but I now think about it and didn't do anything with low water drain.. Is there anything to do with that?
Also, we had the trailer plugged in for the winter and battery is good.
Question: can I leave it disconnected for the summer? We will be ising trailer at least once a month for 5 days at the time.

Thanks for all the help
Not bad for two girls eh?!

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Brigitte

Also emptied the grey tank and the hwt after it was all done.

Timbrens
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Also, we had the trailer plugged in for the winter and battery is good.
Question: can I leave it disconnected for the summer? We will be ising trailer at least once a month for 5 days at the time.

Thanks for all the help
Not bad for two girls eh?!
First, sounds like the dewintizing was a success. Sure, you had a couple of snags but now you know.

A disconnected deep cycle battery will certainly last three weeks. You will want to check the water levels periodically. Its a good idea to include that in your dewinterizing process as well; especially if you are constantly charging it over the winter.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy

First, sounds like the dewintizing was a success. Sure, you had a couple of snags but now you know.

A disconnected deep cycle battery will certainly last three weeks. You will want to check the water levels periodically. Its a good idea to include that in your dewinterizing process as well; especially if you are constantly charging it over the winter.
Planning on checking water in battery tomorrow, i have a jug of distilled water at the ready if needed
Timbrens
Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

By the way, I should have said "A disconnected and fully charged battery will last. Even a disconnected battery will self discharge but it takes a fair amount of time if fully charged.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Brigitte

So during summer months, should we have the trailer plugged into the house to constently recharge the batteries. P.s thias is not me asking this, dw and I are ha ing a discussion abotu pros and cons. I think leave it unplugged, she thinks, leave it plugged in.

Which is it?
Timbrens
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
So during summer months, should we have the trailer plugged into the house to constantly recharge the batteries. P.s thias is not me asking this, dw and I are ha ing a discussion abotu pros and cons. I think leave it unplugged, she thinks, leave it plugged in.

Which is it?
Mine stays plugged in all the time. I have done it this way for as long as I can remember and never had a problem. Be sure to check the fluid level in your batteries periodically.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #8

Leave it plugged in. There are many phantom drains on the battery. If you want to head out with a fully charged battery, keep it plugged in.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't want to get in the middle of a couple's discussion so I'll say either way works. Batteries like to be fully charge. That's why either method will work.

Some leave their campers plugged in all the time. If you do this, then check the water more often.

Some, like me, disconnect. I do it because I don't believe my WFCO converter is that good at charging Trojan batteries.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Brigitte

Dang! NownInhave to tell my sweet that she was right ? lol
I'm not too keen on lookinig at the uellow 70 foot extention cord to keep the batterie charged
Not keen about dragging the cord once every 3 weeks to charge it either. Can you say lazy?!
Any other way to keep it charged?

Timbrens