Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Dewinterized! Now a couple of questions...

Between lousy weather, a tough business travel schedule, and the possibility of a hard freeze our TH has been sitting on the driveway still winterized from the dealer. The weather was great yesterday and the forecast looks good for the next couple of weeks (temperature wise), so I decided to dewinterize.

i followed the procedures i have seen here and flushed the antifreeze out of the plumbing, sanitized the tank and plumbing and reversed the water heater bypass and filled the tank. I didn't find any leaks and the water heater fired up and I have hot water, so things look good so far.

Our first trip is May 13 & 14 to Steeleville, IL for the Randolph County Pig Party.

Now for my questions...

1. I have two switches for the water heater, one on the heater inside the outdoor access panel and one in the TH next to the water pump switch. The manual has very little information on these. As far as I can tell, the one in the TH is the master and if it is off the water heater is off, and the one in the access panel turns on the electric heating element. Is that correct?

2. I have the switch in the TH off right now since the TH is going to sit for another couple of weeks. Should the one in the access panel also be off?

3. Right now the fresh water tank is about 1/3 full so my wife can do some cleaning on her day of tomorrow and she won't have to hook up the hose. Once she is done should I drain the tank or it it OK to let the water sit in it for a couple of weeks?

Thanks!

...ron

2011 Wolf Pack 19WP
2015 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4X4 6.2L 3.73

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

1. The switch inside the TH is for your gas side. There should be a red light with it. The red light will come on while the heater is trying to light up and stay on until does. It will cycle through 3 times and then shut down if it doesn't light. If it does this, just cycle the switch. When the heater does light up, the red light will go off. If it doesn't, the most common problem is air in the gas line. Light your range before trying the water heater. Once it's burning good you'll know the air is out of the line. Always make sure the tank is full before trying to light up.
2. The switch on the outside of the TH is for the electric side of the water heater. Turn this off when your breaking camp. The electric element will burn up in a matter of seconds if there is no water in the tank.
You can use the gas and electric at the same time. Some do this to have a quicker recovery time when everyone is taking showers. The electric side has always been enough for us and that way I'm not burning up my propane.
3. I usually don't use the fresh water tank except for sanitizing the system each spring. I think I would drain the tank and add fresh each time. JMHO

Hope this helps.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Between lousy weather, a tough business travel schedule, and the possibility of a hard freeze our TH has been sitting on the driveway still winterized from the dealer. The weather was great yesterday and the forecast looks good for the next couple of weeks (temperature wise), so I decided to dewinterize.

i followed the procedures i have seen here and flushed the antifreeze out of the plumbing, sanitized the tank and plumbing and reversed the water heater bypass and filled the tank. I didn't find any leaks and the water heater fired up and I have hot water, so things look good so far.

Our first trip is May 13 & 14 to Steeleville, IL for the Randolph County Pig Party.

Now for my questions...

1. I have two switches for the water heater, one on the heater inside the outdoor access panel and one in the TH next to the water pump switch. The manual has very little information on these. As far as I can tell, the one in the TH is the master and if it is off the water heater is off, and the one in the access panel turns on the electric heating element. Is that correct?

2. I have the switch in the TH off right now since the TH is going to sit for another couple of weeks. Should the one in the access panel also be off?

3. Right now the fresh water tank is about 1/3 full so my wife can do some cleaning on her day of tomorrow and she won't have to hook up the hose. Once she is done should I drain the tank or it it OK to let the water sit in it for a couple of weeks?

Thanks!

...ron
1. the switch inside the access panel on the outside of the rv turns your electric heating element on and off. if the switch is on, the heating element will ALWAYS be on whenever you have your rig plugged into AC power. now, you will also have a breaker inside your rv by all the other breakers that will turn the power on and off. i usually always leave the switch on the outside of the rv on and use the breaker as the main switch (this way you dont have to go outside to control it). the switch on your control panel by your water pump switch is to control your LP heating feature on the water heater. i only use this when i am not plugged into ac power. i have also used it right when i park and need hot water asap. i will turn on the LP burner and the electric heating element.....thus the water heats up quite fast.

2. yes, turn the switch on your panel off unless you want hot water and dont have it plugged into AC. just remember, you are using propane to heat the water though. as far as the switch on the outside.....refer to what i said above. i leave my outisde switch on all the time and use the breaker inside to turn it off and on. if you choose to leave both the breaker and the outside switch on, you water heater will constantly keep your water warm even though you are not using the RV....which would be a waste of money in my opinion.

3. i try to make it a habit to drain the fresh water tank when its going to sit for longer than a week. do you have to, definitely not. will it hurt anything, definitely not (as long as it doesnt freeze). but we drink water out of our faucet and the water does start to taste funny after a while. its like letting a glass of water sit in your house for 2 weeks and then drinking out of it........it just isnt the same.

hopefully i didnt confuse you on the water heater issue.....im a little long winded sometimes

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
hopefully i didnt confuse you on the water heater issue.....im a little long winded sometimes
Made sense to me, but I can be a little long-winded at times, too

Thanks, gang!

2011 Wolf Pack 19WP

Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #5

I also de-winterized today. Seeing as I bought the trailer fully winterized last fall, I did run into some issues. They have since been resolved; but I thought I would share them with you all.

- Filling the water tank. I used the hose and added what I thought was enough water. Turned off the hose and walked back and thought "that's funny- why do I hear water running? Turns out the drain plug for my tank was off; and with all the time I spent in the trailer I had never seen it. Continued on with hooking up to city water.

- Took me quite a while to get the hot water tank filled. After hooking up the city water I turned on the cold tap; and got air, then pink then clear. Turned on the hot tap; same thing. Having done enough reading here I know to never turn on the water heater when dry; and for the life of me I cannot figure out why the tank is dry. (And I'm assuming its dry because I keep pulling out the rod thingy and it is dry.) Did a quick search here and found a thread talking about crossover valves. Yep- turns out I have them.

- Now in my fight to figure out why the hot water wouldn't come on; I find the plug for the water tank in the water heater area. Next step- do a contortionist act to try and get under the trailer to plug it in. My trailer is parked in a wedge shaped area; and it's pretty tight.

So all's good now; and it's funny after 6 months of hanging out in my trailer; to actually have running water.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So all's good now; and it's funny after 6 months of hanging out in my trailer; to actually have running water.
Mine has only been sitting on the driveway since early March, but running water is a good step forward

It took me quite a while to find the drain on the fresh water tank. The guy who did our walk-through had the drain plug in the access area for the water heater, and I actually made a note of where the plug was, but only remembered where it went in a general area. It turned out to be behind the passenger side front tire.

2011 Wolf Pack 19WP

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #7

I too bought trailer from dealer used, no help on hot water tank. I flushed system out but not sure if water went into the hot water tank. It is a rockwood roo 17'. I fired the tank up on propane but never got hot water after 2 minutes so I shut it off. Any ideas if water will be filling the hot water tank?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #8

As I mentioned above; the best way to see if the tank is full is to remove the rod from the bottom of the tank. Before you get it completely loose you should have water leaking out.

If it isn't, you likely have a crossfeed valve system like I do. Just follow it through. It may look like a jumble of pipes at first but there is a logic to the system.

Running on propane it took 15 minutes for the water to be slightly warm, and another 15 minutes to be hot. But be sure the tank is full first; I've heard of people damaging the system by running it when dry.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #9

there should also be a pressure relief valve at the top of the tank. If you open that it will tell you if the tank is full.

Have you reversed the bypass valve(s) to allow water into the tank? I have three and they were in the bypass position from when it was winterized. I would get water from the hot water faucets with them in the bypass, but nothing was going into the tank.

2011 Wolf Pack 19WP