Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Member
 
campfiregirl57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Dewinterizing

Just thinking ahead question:
I haven't needed to use my fresh water tank and never filled it. We hooked up to city water over the summer and fall. I winterized with antifreeze in December... Bypassing the hot water heater of course.
This spring when I dewinterize, can I just hook back up to city water and open up all the faucets to drain the antifreeze? And then, flip the bypass and expect the water heater to fill? Also, do nothing to the low point drains under the trailer?
TIA
__________________

campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregirl57 View Post
Just thinking ahead question:
I haven't needed to use my fresh water tank and never filled it. We hooked up to city water over the summer and fall. I winterized with antifreeze in December... Bypassing the hot water heater of course.
This spring when I dewinterize, can I just hook back up to city water and open up all the faucets to drain the antifreeze? And then, flip the bypass and expect the water heater to fill? Also, do nothing to the low point drains under the trailer?
TIA
Short answer, yes.

I am dewinterizing this week for a Jan 1 trip and to make sure I get all the antifreeze out of the system without having to waste a lot of water I'm blowing it out first with compressed air. Also collecting as much antifreeze as I can from faucets using bottles the antifreeze came in.
Will use it for p-trap protection and in holding tanks to keep valves from freezing during first portion of my trip. Freezing temps will be possible for first 800 miles or so and I figure I can recycle the antifreeze during these miles.
__________________

__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,694
What you want to do is to leave your water heater bypassed and open the low point drains and let the anti freeze drain out...and don't forget to do the outside shower, outside kitchen and icemaker (if you have them) to drain out.

Then hook up to city water and flush them out before you open the water heater bypass valve.

Make sure you get all of that pink stuff out first.
__________________
--
Someone "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What you want to do is to leave your water heater bypassed and open the low point drains and let the anti freeze drain out...and don't forget to do the outside shower, outside kitchen and icemaker (if you have them) to drain out.

Then hook up to city water and flush them out before you open the water heater bypass valve.

Make sure you get all of that pink stuff out first.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	193446
__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Short answer, yes.

I am dewinterizing this week for a Jan 1 trip and to make sure I get all the antifreeze out of the system without having to waste a lot of water I'm blowing it out first with compressed air. Also collecting as much antifreeze as I can from faucets using bottles the antifreeze came in.
Will use it for p-trap protection and in holding tanks to keep valves from freezing during first portion of my trip. Freezing temps will be possible for first 800 miles or so and I figure I can recycle the antifreeze during these miles.

that's a lot of work to save $2.50.
__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,599
You've received good advice.
I just want to address your comment on the low point drains... yes you'll want to open them and drain there too.

By not doing so can leave a bit of antifreeze in the system that will over time, draw out into the plumbing little by little.

Open the low point drains as you begin flushing the rest of the system.

As mentioned, leave the water heater in bypass until flushed.

Once flushed, a little bleach in the city water hose will sanitize the plumbing.

One other note for those that make the comment they've never used their fresh water tank... don't believe there may not be water in there just because you've never filled it. From a little bit of bypass from the pump's check valve, there can be several gallons in your fresh tank without you ever knowing.

This happened to my neighbor. He never checked nor drained the water tank because he never used it. It froze and cracked the drain valve and when he did go to use it, he found out the hard way.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
Member
 
campfiregirl57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You've received good advice.
I just want to address your comment on the low point drains... yes you'll want to open them and drain there too.

By not doing so can leave a bit of antifreeze in the system that will over time, draw out into the plumbing little by little.

Open the low point drains as you begin flushing the rest of the system.

As mentioned, leave the water heater in bypass until flushed.

Once flushed, a little bleach in the city water hose will sanitize the plumbing.

One other note for those that make the comment they've never used their fresh water tank... don't believe there may not be water in there just because you've never filled it. From a little bit of bypass from the pump's check valve, there can be several gallons in your fresh tank without you ever knowing.

This happened to my neighbor. He never checked nor drained the water tank because he never used it. It froze and cracked the drain valve and when he did go to use it, he found out the hard way.
Thanks. When I used the pump to fully empty the faucets before I switched to draw from the antifreeze jug, I noticed a couple gallons of water kept flowing out. I couldn't believe it all came from residual water in the lines. This totally explains it.
campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
that's a lot of work to save $2.50.
Actually not much work at all. Just put an empty jug with funnel in it under faucet. I blow my lines out before flushing with wate so I just collect undiluted Antifreeze. Standing at the faucet anyway so why not.

Since I blew the lines dry before winterizing there's really no reason why I couldn't re-use the antifreeze the next time around.

BTW, I use the "good stuff" (all Propylene Glycol) instead of the cheap blends. It's a little more than $2.50
__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ft Belvoir, Va
Posts: 6
I recently bought my RV new from the dealership and had them winterize it for the cold months. I asked them to completely drain the fresh water tank before they winterized it. Do I still need to add water to the fresh water tank to make sure nothing is in the pump? Also can someone explain what the low point drains are? I want to learn how all this works so I can spend my money on useful upgrades and trips.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 17,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
I recently bought my RV new from the dealership and had them winterize it for the cold months. I asked them to completely drain the fresh water tank before they winterized it. Do I still need to add water to the fresh water tank to make sure nothing is in the pump? Also can someone explain what the low point drains are? I want to learn how all this works so I can spend my money on useful upgrades and trips.
First you need to post year, make and model of RV you have, since you didn't list it in your profile.

The FW tank should have its own drain.
Low point drains the water lines.

Plenty of winterizing videos on YouTube.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.