Old 12-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

Dewinterizing

Just thinking ahead question:
I haven't needed to use my fresh water tank and never filled it. We hooked up to city water over the summer and fall. I winterized with antifreeze in December... Bypassing the hot water heater of course.
This spring when I dewinterize, can I just hook back up to city water and open up all the faucets to drain the antifreeze? And then, flip the bypass and expect the water heater to fill? Also, do nothing to the low point drains under the trailer?
TIA

campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregirl57 View Post
Just thinking ahead question:
I haven't needed to use my fresh water tank and never filled it. We hooked up to city water over the summer and fall. I winterized with antifreeze in December... Bypassing the hot water heater of course.
This spring when I dewinterize, can I just hook back up to city water and open up all the faucets to drain the antifreeze? And then, flip the bypass and expect the water heater to fill? Also, do nothing to the low point drains under the trailer?
TIA
Short answer, yes.

I am dewinterizing this week for a Jan 1 trip and to make sure I get all the antifreeze out of the system without having to waste a lot of water I'm blowing it out first with compressed air. Also collecting as much antifreeze as I can from faucets using bottles the antifreeze came in.
Will use it for p-trap protection and in holding tanks to keep valves from freezing during first portion of my trip. Freezing temps will be possible for first 800 miles or so and I figure I can recycle the antifreeze during these miles.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

What you want to do is to leave your water heater bypassed and open the low point drains and let the anti freeze drain out...and don't forget to do the outside shower, outside kitchen and icemaker (if you have them) to drain out.

Then hook up to city water and flush them out before you open the water heater bypass valve.

Make sure you get all of that pink stuff out first.

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What you want to do is to leave your water heater bypassed and open the low point drains and let the anti freeze drain out...and don't forget to do the outside shower, outside kitchen and icemaker (if you have them) to drain out.

Then hook up to city water and flush them out before you open the water heater bypass valve.

Make sure you get all of that pink stuff out first.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	193446

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Short answer, yes.

I am dewinterizing this week for a Jan 1 trip and to make sure I get all the antifreeze out of the system without having to waste a lot of water I'm blowing it out first with compressed air. Also collecting as much antifreeze as I can from faucets using bottles the antifreeze came in.
Will use it for p-trap protection and in holding tanks to keep valves from freezing during first portion of my trip. Freezing temps will be possible for first 800 miles or so and I figure I can recycle the antifreeze during these miles.

that's a lot of work to save $2.50.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You've received good advice.
I just want to address your comment on the low point drains... yes you'll want to open them and drain there too.

By not doing so can leave a bit of antifreeze in the system that will over time, draw out into the plumbing little by little.

Open the low point drains as you begin flushing the rest of the system.

As mentioned, leave the water heater in bypass until flushed.

Once flushed, a little bleach in the city water hose will sanitize the plumbing.

One other note for those that make the comment they've never used their fresh water tank... don't believe there may not be water in there just because you've never filled it. From a little bit of bypass from the pump's check valve, there can be several gallons in your fresh tank without you ever knowing.

This happened to my neighbor. He never checked nor drained the water tank because he never used it. It froze and cracked the drain valve and when he did go to use it, he found out the hard way.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You've received good advice.
I just want to address your comment on the low point drains... yes you'll want to open them and drain there too.

By not doing so can leave a bit of antifreeze in the system that will over time, draw out into the plumbing little by little.

Open the low point drains as you begin flushing the rest of the system.

As mentioned, leave the water heater in bypass until flushed.

Once flushed, a little bleach in the city water hose will sanitize the plumbing.

One other note for those that make the comment they've never used their fresh water tank... don't believe there may not be water in there just because you've never filled it. From a little bit of bypass from the pump's check valve, there can be several gallons in your fresh tank without you ever knowing.

This happened to my neighbor. He never checked nor drained the water tank because he never used it. It froze and cracked the drain valve and when he did go to use it, he found out the hard way.
Thanks. When I used the pump to fully empty the faucets before I switched to draw from the antifreeze jug, I noticed a couple gallons of water kept flowing out. I couldn't believe it all came from residual water in the lines. This totally explains it.
campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
that's a lot of work to save $2.50.
Actually not much work at all. Just put an empty jug with funnel in it under faucet. I blow my lines out before flushing with wate so I just collect undiluted Antifreeze. Standing at the faucet anyway so why not.

Since I blew the lines dry before winterizing there's really no reason why I couldn't re-use the antifreeze the next time around.

BTW, I use the "good stuff" (all Propylene Glycol) instead of the cheap blends. It's a little more than $2.50

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #9

I recently bought my RV new from the dealership and had them winterize it for the cold months. I asked them to completely drain the fresh water tank before they winterized it. Do I still need to add water to the fresh water tank to make sure nothing is in the pump? Also can someone explain what the low point drains are? I want to learn how all this works so I can spend my money on useful upgrades and trips.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
I recently bought my RV new from the dealership and had them winterize it for the cold months. I asked them to completely drain the fresh water tank before they winterized it. Do I still need to add water to the fresh water tank to make sure nothing is in the pump? Also can someone explain what the low point drains are? I want to learn how all this works so I can spend my money on useful upgrades and trips.
First you need to post year, make and model of RV you have, since you didn't list it in your profile.

The FW tank should have its own drain.
Low point drains the water lines.

Plenty of winterizing videos on YouTube.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter