Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Dewinterizing for Trip While It Is Still Cold

We are camping in South Carolina in 2 weeks and the long range forecast says before we leave it will be in the 20s at night. I need to dewinterize the camper next weekend to make sure it is ready to go but I am concerned that once I dewinterize I will have a freezing problem. I hope the long range forecast is wrong.

I guess I will also need to rewinterize before coming home. Any advice on either subject is appreciated.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I don't know what your camping in but the DW and I have camped in the teens before. We run a ceramic heater as a "supplement" the furnace has to keep the lines to and from the water pump warm. I put fiberglass insulation in the outside flushing station, turn on the tank heaters, and the dehumidifier. Dress warm and keep smiling.

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

We left Michigan 3 weeks ago in 5 below zero weather. The first night was 23 degrees. I kept the trailer winterized, so we used water out of jugs for the necessities, and ran a space heater to supplement the furnace. The second night was the same, as the low was 26 degrees.

I plan on winterizing the trailer the last morning of above freezing temperatures. I've got a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze stored and waiting for that last warm morning...
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #4

I'm sorry, I should have added my rig info. I have a 2015 Puma 30FQSS, we used it once before winter and now we are itching to use it again. We are going to Charleston from Central NC and I want to make sure the coach is ready. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Why not just wait until you reach your destination to de winterize? All you need to do is to hook up your water and flush out the lines. Wait until you flush the lines to de-bypass your hot water heater.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
traveler

Most people heading south from this area of the world (New Brunswick) wait until they are in warmer climates. As I am sure you have experienced, de-winterizing is a relatively short chore. Actually, I enjoy the job as it signifies the start of a new season.
Enjoy and stay between the ditches.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.beck.7737 View Post
Why not just wait until you reach your destination to de winterize? All you need to do is to hook up your water and flush out the lines. Wait until you flush the lines to de-bypass your hot water heater.
Now you reminded me to flush the system before opening the bypass. Yesterday I filled the hot water heater first and then had to drained it. But as I was removing the plug it shot out and drenched me. Lesson learned.
If your bringing freezables, I put the heat on along with the frig. I know I will start debate on running down the road with the LP running. But with the heat on you can stock the pantry and be ready to camp when you get there.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.beck.7737 View Post
I have read that you should dewinterize before you go just in case there is a leak. Granted, I am only going 200 miles South so there is not much of a difference in temp. I am also going to watch the weather, in NC it normally is above freezing into the 40s and 50s everyday and if the sun is out the camper gets warm inside. If it just touches 30-32 I am not worried about a freezeup, it is those 20 degree nights that bother me.
Nights Camped 2017 29
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

I take several trips during the winter so I winterize after each trip. I blow out the lines with an air compressor and just put antifreeze in the p-traps. On the trip home I leave the low point drains and faucets open so when I get home 99% of the water is out of the lines, including the water heater. I still blow them out just to make sure.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I take several trips during the winter so I winterize after each trip. I blow out the lines with an air compressor and just put antifreeze in the p-traps. On the trip home I leave the low point drains and faucets open so when I get home 99% of the water is out of the lines, including the water heater. I still blow them out just to make sure.
Great! So will the water heater drain on its own while driving without moving the anode rod?

We are new to trailer camping and all of your help has been great. I want to make sure our family time is not taken up with fighting the truck or trailer.

Nights Camped 2017 29
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize