Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Bit it will kill the grass in your lawn--I learned this the hard way🙄.

Does it work like Ortho GroundClear?

Might save me some money then!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #22

I would not dump the anti freeze on the ground even though it is not toxic. If you can recycle if not send it in your holding tanks and dump at a campground...........

Takes me about 20 minutes or less to winterize (about 2 gallons) or dewinterize our 42 foot trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Yippee for the HOA's. The modern day version of Soviet Union Communes. From each according to his ability to each according to his needs....
I live in a covenant controlled community (HOA) and kind of like what it does for my property value (up average of 12%/year last 4 years). Homes here sell faster than in rest of area without because people have to maintain their property and neighborhood doesnt look like "dogpatch). Also no "project vehicles" parked in yard and covered with tarps or algae covered 1974 Winnebago MH's.

I am allowed to park my TT on my property, it just has to be in back yard or behind fence in side yard. I've built a nice pad with power in my side yard and the fence has a concealed 12' gate that gives me access to the street.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Hello! I'm a new RVer and am hoping for some suggestions as to where to dewinterize if it can't be done in one's driveway/at home. I'm in NW VA.
It seems like a kind of daunting process...
We take our rig to a local campground with full hookups to winterize and dewinterize. Read through the process to dewinterize and you should be able to do it easily.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #25
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Turn off your breaker to the electric on your hot water heater. Leave yourself a note at the breaker to refill the hot water tank before turning it back on !
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #26

It is not any harder in the middle of nowhere than it is in your driveway. Once you do it a couple of times it is easy. Confidence my friend. That is all you need.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #27

HOA's are fine for some great if your house is worth more because of it.

Personally I will stay where I am I can sit on the deck watch the deer and the turkeys (birds) (people are fun to watch too) even a bear one time. Look at the mountains or not. Do what I want with my camper cars and trailers. Do not have to worry if my grass gets cut on time, or if my snow gets shoveled or what color I paint my trim.

I can go out to the camper turn on the water let it flush the lines and dewinterize. As others have mentioned do not forget to make sure the valves are positioned correctly at your water heater to allow it to fill.

Most important........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Bit it will kill the grass in your lawn--I learned this the hard way🙄.
never had that problem
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #29

I do it right in the driveway. I remove the low point caps and drain. I hook up city water , run the taps and purge the lines of antifreeze. I then sanitize my fresh water tank (overnight).

Once the fresh water tank is sanitized I switch the water heater out of bypass mode and I'm done...….easy peasy.

I drain the residual diluted water/bleach /antifreeze mix from the gray tank right on to the driveway. Their isn't 5 gallons.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #30

Pull up to the barn yard and let er rip.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #31

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Use an empty jug and open the Low point drains and a faucet and drain the antifreeze into the jug and take it to a local antifreeze recycling station. Odds are it is less than 3 gals.
RV antifreeze is non poisonous. There is no need to recycle it.
Ebbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I live in a covenant controlled community (HOA) and kind of like what it does for my property value (up average of 12%/year last 4 years). Homes here sell faster than in rest of area without because people have to maintain their property and neighborhood doesnt look like "dogpatch). Also no "project vehicles" parked in yard and covered with tarps or algae covered 1974 Winnebago MH's.

I am allowed to park my TT on my property, it just has to be in back yard or behind fence in side yard. I've built a nice pad with power in my side yard and the fence has a concealed 12' gate that gives me access to the street.
I’ve owned 4 homes, none of them in an HOA community. I’ve never had the issues you describe.

Perhaps it’s the area of the country. My brother lived in the Seattle area. First house, no HOA and he had neighbor issues. He couldn’t wait to get into an HOA. I thought he was nuts when he told me he bought some rose bushes and was waiting for HOA approval to plant them. Or when he needed a new roof and was told what kind he could have installed. Or when he wanted to paint his front door and had to get approval on the color. Maybe it is because the houses are seemingly inches from each other that people feel they need to tell each other what they are allowed to do to their houses. No thanks!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #33

Another thought

Some of us use cheap vodka as antifreeze. Smells better tastes better and no rush to flush it all out.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #34

Tastier method

I prefer to dewinterize w/vodka, fill the HWTank with gin, and keep bitters & olives around.

I don't remember ever de-winterizing in the spring, but DW has photos to prove it! LOL
1979 750 XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:30 PM   #35

There was discussion on winterizing, de=winterzing recently that also gave the formula for bleach to water ratio for sanitizing. could someone retrieve that and repost? thanks
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #36
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeWayne View Post
There was discussion on winterizing, de=winterzing recently that also gave the formula for bleach to water ratio for sanitizing. could someone retrieve that and repost? thanks
I do 1 1/2 cups of bleach to one 45 gallon fresh water tank.

I fill the fresh water tank to around 1/3rd, then dump half of the bleach in, then fill the tank to a little over 1/2, then dump the other half of the bleach in, then fill the tank up the rest of the way.

This way I feel that I get the bleach mixed in good...

After that I use the water pump the run water to each faucet or water outlet inside and outside of the RV.

I like to let is stew at least overnight, then drain and fill the fresh water tank and use the pump to run water through all of the plumbing at least twice...or until you can't smell the bleach anymore.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeWayne View Post
1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of fresh water capacity. Be sure to include your hot water heater capacity in that total if you want to sanitize your hot water heater tank also. I do, some don't--your choice.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #38

Triple digit heat and unable to dewinterize TT for weeks to come. Any worries?
oburgess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter