Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Did I do any damage

I was dumping my holding tanks and preparing to flush when a neighbor needed my immediate help. I returned to my rig and began flushing then realized both the grey and black valves were open. I do not know how that happened as when dumping grey is only opened after black is closed. Anyway do you think I did any kind of damage and if so how to do I address it.
2006 Ford F-250 diesel
kkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Team

You didn't do any damage whatever.

For peace of mind you can flush both tanks well, but it really isn't required, because they'll get flushed the next time you drain them.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

I know how it happened. You opened both valves. Unless the valve fairy did it.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Team

I guess I'm not understanding the situation? When you say flush, are you talking about your black tank flush?

If you had it on while your valves were open, then no damage should have occurred. In fact, that's how your supposed to do it. Normally damage is done when people walk away and their valves are closed.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

You probably didn't get any black tank stuff in the gray tank, if that is what you are worried about.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Yes, Check S it must have been the valve fairy!!
Thank you, JohnD10, contamination was my concern. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something understanding the whole plumbing situation.
2006 Ford F-250 diesel
kkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Team

You are fine.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #8

Just be thankful you didn't have the hose attached and the black tank flush going and the valves closed when you went to help the neighbor... Now that would be a mess. And getting some black tank liquids in the grey tank won't matter... A little draining and no smell...
just close the drain valve, run the shower, faucet, etc. to put water into the grey tank(s) and then open drain valve and all is back to normal.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #9

Grey and Black Open Valves

There's no way you could have done damage, however, its possible you have contaminated the grey water tank(s). To be sure, I would flush the grey(s) out with a solution of bleach.

As an aside for the Forest River Group, I've been a member for a long time. Suddenly, every time I attempt to answer a question, I have to enter my name and password. I have several passwords, so this requires me to stop and look it up. Its a pain, so if it continues, I will stop attempting to answer member questions.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
What very little black stuff got into the grey stuff....not to worry. It will be cleaned out the next time you dump the grey. The only thing I might do, would run some water into the black and grey,, then dump as usual. That would get the bit of debris out of the drains.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
As an aside for the Forest River Group, I've been a member for a long time. Suddenly, every time I attempt to answer a question, I have to enter my name and password. I have several passwords, so this requires me to stop and look it up. Its a pain, so if it continues, I will stop attempting to answer member questions.
That might be a forum problem, but more likely, a browser problem. Have you cleared your cookies or history. What browser are you using?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #12

There is a little box under your log in that says "Remember Me'.

Click that.

If that isn't working, you may need to clear your cookies (not the same as tossing your cookies )...

Then try it again!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #13

Unless you drink outta your grey tank ya got no worries mate.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #14

I need help understanding how you could get waste from the black water tank into the gray tank.
I will be purchasing a Rockwood UltraLite 2608 BS in the spring, the trailer I currently have does not have a black flush but I cannot figure out how the grey tank could be contaminated by flushing the black tank with both valves open. Thank you for your help.
Jamesr7332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesr7332 View Post
I need help understanding how you could get waste from the black water tank into the gray tank.
I will be purchasing a Rockwood UltraLite 2608 BS in the spring, the trailer I currently have does not have a black flush but I cannot figure out how the grey tank could be contaminated by flushing the black tank with both valves open. Thank you for your help.
On a lot of RV's the black and gray tanks drain out of the same valve.

If both the black and gray tanks are open it is possible for water from one tank to flow into the other.

As an example, I use the gray water to backflush into the black tank to help remove the sludge and to also help clean out the black tank.

With this add-on gate valve I can keep this closed and force the gray water back into the black tank - called 'back flushing'.

Having an add-on gate valve is a must to do this, and I recommend everyone to put one on their RV anyway as a safety device!

I found out the hard way after coming down a dirt mountain road full of chatter bumps and the black tank gate valve vibrated open just enough to fill that little chamber behind the sewer cap with some nastiness that almost got my sandal laden bare feet!

One of these (first shot is my setup):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	191491  
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
John, do you empty the black tank as usual first, then do the grey flush?
Great idea, and i would like to use it!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #17

In theory the backflush sounds like a good idea. My concern would be that black tank stuff might get in the gray tank during this backflush.

Since the gray tank has multiple things feeding it (Kitchen and bathroom sinks, shower) and they all, I'm assuming, have P traps, there should be no odor issues as long as the camper doesn't sit long enough for the P-traps liquid to evaporate.

John, How long have you been doing this and ever had any smell issues?

I will definitely be buying the add on gate for the protection/second seal in case of an open/leaking gate on the gray or black as I too have had that near miss experience. Just not sure if the backflush is needed in my situation.

I generally camp for a week to 10 days on my longest trips. So Black tank space is generally not an issue. It's always the gray that fills first. Knowing that, I generally fill my black tank to about 10% by holding the foot flush before I ever leave home for the trip. This gives me a nice base layer of water that can swish around during my trip as I go up and down hills and make turns, etc, giving a minor scrub to my black tank. Between that and using proper RV toilet paper, I've never had an issue with plumbing or black tanks. After dumping and getting back home, I've turned off the water and held the foot valve open and looked down the toilet with a flash light, it's always looked cleaner than I ever expected it could.

Excess water is your friend in holding tanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #18

I learned the backflush thing back in the 70's in my teens...

It was just something that was a part of my RV training when I was a kid, I guess!

I used to live just outside of Elkhart, Indiana for awhile and in southern Michigan and most of my relatives and family friends worked in the RV industry, and we all had TT's or motorhomes in our families.

I've personally owned campers for 20 years (was into boats before camping) and have always done this and have never had a gray tank get compromised by the black tank water.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
John, do you empty the black tank as usual first, then do the grey flush?
Great idea, and i would like to use it!
Yes...

I empty the black tank while running the built-in black tank flush, and when the black tank starts draining just the black tank flush water I do the back flush several (5-6) times with the gray water.

After you've done it a few times you'll get the hang of it!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #20

When I flush I leave open all faucets as I also remove the drain plugs. We’re yours open?
Jercole is offline   Reply With Quote