Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

dishwasher in place of oven????

the wife wants this to happen, she never uses the oven. I do what I am told. anybody here do this?? she saw it on another RV forum and where would I buy it??

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #2

Pretty good idea. I saw it on another forum but can't remember where. It would be pretty easy to do, depending on piping, etc. for the dw (not to be confused with the DW, although they are one and the same).....Ow, stop hitting me...
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

Try this

RV Mods: Stove-Oven to Dishwasher Conversion - Re-Purpose Unused Oven

I have never done anything like this, in fact out new motorhome doesn't have an oven because we never use it

hope this helps

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #4

Really, does not most RV's have a dishwasher isn't it the round or oval shaped white thing under the sink that also holds paper cups and plastic forks. The biggest problem I have is it just takes so long to fill up due to fact the wife always has a new place she wants to go have dinner.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

It's called use all paper products and eat out a lot in lieu of washing dishes!
Neat idea...keep us posted if u do the mod but ain't gonna show the wife!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Always Learning

I am the dishwasher and sure am not going to fit into the oven space.

Glad the CSMRetired posted something helpful.

Seems like tapping into the plumbing (water source and waste water) would be the biggest challenges to overcome.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

I wonder if the water heater will supply enough water at temperature
(120 -150 F) suggested by GE.

We use plastic ware, camping is for fun not house work.

Good luck with the mod at any rate.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
Really, does not most RV's have a dishwasher isn't it the round or oval shaped white thing under the sink that also holds paper cups and plastic forks. The biggest problem I have is it just takes so long to fill up due to fact the wife always has a new place she wants to go have dinner.
we use dishes more then paper, not my call it is the wifes since she sets the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
It's called use all paper products and eat out a lot in lieu of washing dishes!
Neat idea...keep us posted if u do the mod but ain't gonna show the wife!!!
we eat out a lot also, by the time we make it back home it is late and we are tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

our water heater will supply hot water as long as I have propane in the tank (tankless water heater)

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Have you considered resale/trade value? I would think most would prefer an oven to a dishwasher. Plus it would fill the waste tank faster.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #10

I have seen some decent countertop dws. Whirlpool does at least one. It could be rigged into the opening. Seems like a decent idea long as you watch grey tank level.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Denver, CO

Crap, I just leaned over and showed the DW the mod pictures. This was her comments,

1. When is it gonna be done.

2. Rv stoves are horrible to use, with controllin the heat and uneven baking, even with a stone to help out.

3. When is it gonna be done

4. When is it gonna be done.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

I agree we use plastic and paper to.My wife does the dishes and I don't care what I eat off of as long as I get fed. But I wonder if you would have enough water pressure to do the dishes and if the hot water tank can keep up with the demand
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Denver, CO

I would think that this would only be viable when hooked up to a full site. Not much use for drydocking,
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I agree we use plastic and paper to.My wife does the dishes and I don't care what I eat off of as long as I get fed. But I wonder if you would have enough water pressure to do the dishes and if the hot water tank can keep up with the demand
As the washer has its own pump pressure is not an issue, the temp of the water is.

120-150 F for everything to work as needed.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Denver, CO

just looked at one countertop unit. It uses 3 gallons per cycle. Not the end of the world, but a consideration. We always use dishes when we do (infrequently) eat in the camper vs eating out.

Probable a moe useful appliance than the oven, but maybe not necessary or worthwhile for us.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Have you considered resale/trade value? I would think most would prefer an oven to a dishwasher. Plus it would fill the waste tank faster.
I do what I am told, if she wants it she get it, as for resale value I can always reinstall it if the next owners want it. and my gray tank is 100 gals, I would never fill it on a long weekend with 3 gals at a time and we never camp at any place for more that 3 nights on our 2 week trip. the oven is useless for us but cleaning plates and cups would be a time saver. we are limited for counter space now and the drying area is almost non existence

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #17

One concern. Moisture from the drying cycle. I believe it may lead to window condensation. May be s perfect place to do the install since the range hood can blow some of it out.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I do what I am told, if she wants it she get it, as for resale value I can always reinstall it if the next owners want it. and my gray tank is 100 gals, I would never fill it on a long weekend with 3 gals at a time and we never camp at any place for more that 3 nights on our 2 week trip. the oven is useless for us but cleaning plates and cups would be a time saver. we are limited for counter space now and the drying area is almost non existence

GO FOR IT and report back.. I can tell the DW that I am waiting for your report before doing the mod myself.. Win win.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #19

Here's a few choices

Small dishwashers are defined as smaller than 24 inches wide. They can be built into cabinets, attached to the sink via hoses, or there are countertop models. If you have a small kitchen, here are some dishwashers to consider.
FisherPaykel dual-drawer dishwasherChosen by the University of Minnesota's 2009 Solar Decathalon team to outfit their space effcient entry in the contest, the FisherPaykel dishwasher is small and tucks away into cabinetry.
Sunpentown countertopMeasuring just 20 x 15 x 15 inches, this Supentown dishwasher will take up very little space in a small kitchen. It has several wash cycles as well as a 150 watt warm air dry cycle.
EdgeStar 6 place settingIt measures approximately 17 x 22 x 19 inches and can hold plates up to 10.5 inches in diameter. This model expects to use only 200 kilowatt hours per year, 61% less energy than a standard countertop dishwasher. See a video guide here.
Bosch multi-function with built in LEDBosch offers a four part safety net to prevent their dishwasher from leaking all over your floor. It is also slim enough to fit into a narrow cabinet space at only 18 inches wide.
Danby 18 inch full console. Danby makes this model as either an 18 inch wide built in or mobile dishwasher. If you are pressed for cabinet space, an 18 inch dishwasher will fit more easily than a 24 inch dishwasher.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
MI Camperz

Like I said in another post, learn something new every day. I wish I could talk DH into believing stove is useless. When I was single, it was more often dusted than used. Ahhhhhhh! The good old days!!!!
I guess I shouldn't complain since he is the superior cook and does 95% of the cooking cuz I hate it.