Old 02-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
Papi

Disinfecting Water Lines ???

We live full time in our 40' fiver. I think it's about time to disinfect/clean all the fresh water lines. Lately there has been occasional "bad taste" in the water. We've been full timing for over three years now...same hook up, same place. The utility water is fine. Flushed low point (cold) a few weeks ago and a lot of crud (visible) came out. Better now but taste continues. KW1 filters changed regularly.
What should be used to purge the lines (all of them) that will be most effective and how should it be done? I can clean and wait...up to several days if necessary (by using bottled water) so what's best method/chemical? Thanks in advance.

Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Plain Chlorine Bleach. Best consumer usable and cost effective sanitizer available. Use about 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of capacity. You need to get it into all water contacting areas: FW tank, water heater, hot and cold water lines, fill line, etc.
Some say you don't need to do the water heater, but I like to get everything sanitized and it won't harm the heater. Helps a bit if you can drive with the bleach in the water tank so that it sloshes and gets the top. Leave the bleach in for at least an hour - ideally over night or 12ish hours.
Use cheap, plain bleach 5.25% sodium hypochlorite - no odor stuff, not splash less, not concentrated, etc.

I start by completely draining everything (water heater off). Put the bleach solution into the water tank. Fill the tank. Run the pump to pump water thru everything until you smell bleach at each faucet - hot and cold separately. Top up the water tank. Take a drive and then let sit overnigh. Dump all water. Fill FW tank with clean water. Run water thru all faucets again until no bleach smell. You may need to dump the FW tank after the initial rinse of the plumbing and then fill a second time to get rid of all bleach smell.
Note, after the first fill of your GW tank and rinse of the plumbing, any remaining bleach will not be harmful. Some folks are just better at smelling low concentrations of bleach.

(I know this stuff because I use a similar process to sanitize my equipment for making beer and wine)

Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Plain Chlorine Bleach. Best consumer usable and cost effective sanitizer available. Use about 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of capacity. You need to get it into all water contacting areas: FW tank, water heater, hot and cold water lines, fill line, etc.
Some say you don't need to do the water heater, but I like to get everything sanitized and it won't harm the heater. Helps a bit if you can drive with the bleach in the water tank so that it sloshes and gets the top. Leave the bleach in for at least an hour - ideally over night or 12ish hours.
Use cheap, plain bleach 5.25% sodium hypochlorite - no odor stuff, not splash less, not concentrated, etc.

I start by completely draining everything (water heater off). Put the bleach solution into the water tank. Fill the tank. Run the pump to pump water thru everything until you smell bleach at each faucet - hot and cold separately. Top up the water tank. Take a drive and then let sit overnigh. Dump all water. Fill FW tank with clean water. Run water thru all faucets again until no bleach smell. You may need to dump the FW tank after the initial rinse of the plumbing and then fill a second time to get rid of all bleach smell.
Note, after the first fill of your GW tank and rinse of the plumbing, any remaining bleach will not be harmful. Some folks are just better at smelling low concentrations of bleach.

(I know this stuff because I use a similar process to sanitize my equipment for making beer and wine)
Perfectly described.

I would remove the water filter while doing this and replace it with a new one after you are done rinsing out.

I think the crud coming out the low point drains is likely from your water heater annode. You can rinse the tank out from the drain plug when you drain everything. Just hose it out a few times.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Scoundrel

This^^^^^^ Thats exactly how I do it. Run the chlorine solution through everything, including hot water heater. As Sailor Sam said above, fill the FW tank full so the chlorine solution touches everything.

Good Luck

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #5

I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect my lines. Less flushing needed to get rid of the chlorine taste. Found the tip on a you-tube video

m
mfeeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeeley View Post
I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect my lines. Less flushing needed to get rid of the chlorine taste. Found the tip on a you-tube video

m
Assuming you mix it...that would be a lot to fill a 30 or 40 gallon tank. What's your ratio?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

I'm not convinced that a drugstore bottle of hydrogen peroxide is going to get it done.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

SailorSam's method is what I use and it's not that hard to get rid of the smell. DW's nose sensitivity would rival a bloodhound's and we have no problems.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #9

I use bleach as well as removing the water filter. I ensure that all the faucets have a bit of the chlorine smell and leave for overnight. Once purged replacing the KW1 and ensure no leaks etc. Although only done once I plan on doing this once a year when I replace the filter (unless of course smell or taste would prompt sooner).
Old 02-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Old Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
I'm not convinced that a drugstore bottle of hydrogen peroxide is going to get it done.
I have to agree.

Drug store Hydrogen Peroxide is already diluted with water to a low percentage.

100% Hydrogen Peroxide is rocket fuel.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water