Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Do I need a new heating element?

Hi,
Just got back from a trip and ran into something new for me. We were having trouble getting hot water. We were hooked up to shore power. I turned on the on /off switch on the main panel for water heater as well as the switch outside where the anode rod is. The trouble is we got hot water at the bathroom sink, but only warm water in the shower and kitchen. This was the first time we had used it since we de-winterized it. I'm just wondering if I missed something else.
Thanks.
udflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Check the winterizing bypass valves. What you are seeing is usually caused by not switching the bypass valves correctly ( forgetting one). If the valves are correct, check the outside shower. It the valves are on ( shower wand shut off) this is another source of warm water.

The photo is winterized. In service ALL THREE valves need to by turned 90 degrees.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Hot water problems

So the middle valve connecting the hot and cold water should be perpendicular and not inline when in use?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes perpendicular or it will let cold water mix with the hot water after the WH.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Also FYI. THe inside switch controls the propane portion of the WH and the outside switch ( near anode) controls 120VAC operation. You can use both, but you don't need to .

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #6

Hot water problems

Thanks Flybob! When I called tech services at Good Sam he said I should turn both switches on. Also said once hooked up to shore power that propane wouldn't heat the water in tank. So much for tech services. I think the valve in the middle may be the problem. Really appreciate the photos, took a picture of them and will keep on my phone.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #7
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by udflyer View Post
Thanks Flybob! When I called tech services at Good Sam he said I should turn both switches on. Also said once hooked up to shore power that propane wouldn't heat the water in tank. So much for tech services. I think the valve in the middle may be the problem. Really appreciate the photos, took a picture of them and will keep on my phone.

Bad Info from "Sam" - because you certainly CAN use both electric and propane if you need faster recovery. We rarely do, but on occasion have used both.

Trust FLYBOB over anything Good Sam has to offer information wise.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
Site Team

This happens a lot and why we keep this thread link as a sticky at the top of the plumbing section.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

I would add that newer trailers now do have a switch inside for the electric side. In my 2018 Mini Lite (which is a change from the 2015 I had), there are 3 switches.
Switch 1 is on the heater itself (outside by the anode rode)
Switch 2 (for gas) is inside on the control panel
Switch 3 (for electric) is inside on the control panel.

The water heater (with outside switch on) still will not heat the water unless one or both of the inside switches is also on.

My only thoughts on this particular issue are to check the outside shower. My reason is, if the heating element was bad, you wouldnt get hot water anywhere. But the OP has hot water in the bathroom sink. So heating the water isnt the issue. Second thought, if the water is hot in the sink, it cant be mixing at the winterizing valves, or all of the hot water (sink, shower, kitchen sink, etc) would be "warm". But, if the outside shower is "after" the bathroom sink, the sink would get hot water, but everything else would be warm

Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #10

They could have two water heaters as in the 364 TS so be sure both are checked��
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Also FYI. THe inside switch controls the propane portion of the WH and the outside switch ( near anode) controls 120VAC operation. You can use both, but you don't need to .
Flybob there is two switch’s on the main panel for the hot water heater, one for 120v side and one for 12v side with one switch outside as well for main power to heater
Kygoldwinger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #12

Thanks for all the ideas. It appears that one of the valves connecting the hot/cold water lines was open and this caused the problem.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I would add that newer trailers now do have a switch inside for the electric side. In my 2018 Mini Lite (which is a change from the 2015 I had), there are 3 switches.
Switch 1 is on the heater itself (outside by the anode rode)
Switch 2 (for gas) is inside on the control panel
Switch 3 (for electric) is inside on the control panel.

The water heater (with outside switch on) still will not heat the water unless one or both of the inside switches is also on.
Just to clarify this a little. Not all new Forest River products will come with the type of Suburban tank type water heater described above, which is the SWDEL model.

Some products will have the SWDE model or other models.. Some may have other brands/types. It depends on the RV manufacturer. Forest River has many subsidiaries.

This thread explains the difference between the SWDE and SWDEL models of the Suburban.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating