Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

You fellas can make fun of the "air tight" wording, but that is how it is worded at practically all commercial campgrounds.

Sewer Connection
If your RV site does not have a sewer connection or you are only going to be camped for a few days, don't bother to connect your sewer hose. But lets suppose you are going to be camped for two weeks and will be needing the sewer.

Then, since this is your first time out, you need to "make up" your sewer hose by installing the clear-plastic 45 degree sewer connector on one end of your new heavy duty sewer hose and the combination 3-4" threaded connector on the other end. Be sure that the sewer hose is pushed onto the fitting as far as it will go, and then tighten the large hose clamps securely—you really don't want these fittings or the hose to leak, even a tiny bit!

Now, screw in the threaded connector to the sewer fitting at the RV site. If the site sewer fitting is just an open pipe with a rock over the top, you will need to use the rubber donut between the sewer pipe and your sewer hose to have an air tight seal.
Now, remove the travel cap that covers the RV sewer drain connection on your motorhome, and twist on the clear elbow fitting to your RV's sewer connection

Utility Hook Ups
Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Maybe I'm late to the party, but an "airtight seal ..." Are there air quality meters at each sewer connection now?

I can understand an effort to have a liquid
/ solid waste tight seal at the connection, but airtight is new to me. If an airtight seal at the sewer connection is now required, then the last time I was at one, it wasn't working.
If you've ever had a site that had a bad case of sewer gasses, you'll know why you want to have a sewer donut with you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Guess I know what yhe problem is.....
I don't put hose out till I'm ready to dump.
Then I put the lid back on dump pipe.

All is solved.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Guess I know what yhe problem is.....
I don't put hose out till I'm ready to dump.
Then I put the lid back on dump pipe.

All is solved.
I'm guessing you haven't stayed at a park for a month or two at a time then?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 07-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm guessing you haven't stayed at a park for a month or two at a time then?
X2, Or even 2 or 3 weeks and dump every 4-5 days. But that's for us old folks that are retired and don't have to do that horrible thing called W@#K.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #46
B47

I'm curious and a bit skepical about these air tight sewer connections.

If they are so effective and required in some CG's, are the trucks that around to empty black water tanks equipped with them?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'm curious and a bit skepical about these air tight sewer connections.

If they are so effective and required in some CG's, are the trucks that around to empty black water tanks equipped with them?
Trucks connect directly to your tank, so it is a tight connection. We're refering to camper to cg sewer with respect to the donuts. Two different animals.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #48

I've only been to a few campgrounds that actually required sewer donuts and in those cases it was to help prevent any spillage from occurring. Some people can be pretty darn sloppy when dumping their tanks, and those are the people that don’t clean up after. The rubber sewer donuts are very effective at keeping gasses from escaping the sewer openings. However, I’ve been in many parks where a sewer donut over the elbow was too large to fit into the pipe.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #49
B47

Quote:
I've only been to a few campgrounds that actually required sewer donuts and in those cases it was to help prevent any spillage from occurring. Some people can be pretty darn sloppy when dumping their tanks, and those are the people that don’t clean up after. The rubber sewer donuts are very effective at keeping gasses from escaping the sewer openings. However, I’ve been in many parks where a sewer donut over the elbow was too large to fit into the pipe.
I can see how they might prevent or minimize spliiage (as in liquid) if properly installed and fitted properly, but as far as preventing gasses from escaping while dumping, then I'm still skeptical.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #50

Quote:
I can see how they might prevent or minimize spliiage (as in liquid) if properly installed and fitted properly, but as far as preventing gasses from escaping while dumping, then I'm still skeptical.
The rubber sewer seals only cost 6 - 8 bucks. You might pick one up sometime and test it out. It forms a tight seal over the elbow section and the sides of the sewer pipe.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #51
Always Learning

Quote:
The rubber sewer seals only cost 6 - 8 bucks. You might pick one up sometime and test it out. It forms a tight seal over the elbow section and the sides of the sewer pipe.
So... maybe I *am* doing something wrong. What I've been doing is mashing the one end of the sewer donut *into* the sewer pipe and then my elbow into the middle of that.

It sounds like you might be saying do it around the outside of the sewer pipe and elbow where the 2 come together...

?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
B47

Quote:
Now I can see it coming - a new thread about people putting this thing on over the elbow and the sewer pipe with their bare hands
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
So... maybe I *am* doing something wrong. What I've been doing is mashing the one end of the sewer donut *into* the sewer pipe and then my elbow into the middle of that.

It sounds like you might be saying do it around the outside of the sewer pipe and elbow where the 2 come together...

?
No no, you're doing it right. I'm not good at descriptions. There are some sewer pipes that are too narrow for the sewer donut and only the elbow without the donut will fit the opening.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #54
Always Learning

Quote:
No no, you're doing it right. I'm not good at descriptions. There are some sewer pipes that are too narrow for the sewer donut and only the elbow without the donut will fit the opening.
k. I'm not great at reading physical descriptions.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #55

JohnF, I don't blame you for never coming back. You asked a simple legitimate question and you get this. Maybe I am being over critical but this thread has been hi jinxed. I hope you got the info you needed and have a great time camping. The sewer duty is only intimidating the first couple of times. Just take your time and ask a fellow camper if you have any questions, they will be glad to help. Now as everyone says when they have had enuf, I am out of here.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The rubber donut doesn't help at the dump station when the guy just before you dumped his portable tank all over the platform because he forgot his hose or lost it because the bumper flexed, plug fell out and hose is some where beside the interstate.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote