Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Rubber donut?
What's the purpose of that?
Because glazed donuts get soggy!
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Why not? It has a back-flow preventer. Where else would you hook in up to? It's no different than hooking a hose up to the black tank flush.
Well, for one, it is not allowed where we live.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Always Learning

Have a link? I'd be curious to see those rules- it's a first that I've ever heard of. Are black tank flushes allowed at all?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Have a link? I'd be curious to see those rules- it's a first that I've ever heard of. Are black tank flushes allowed at all?
The RV dumps all have water hoses that clearly state they are for that purpose only.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
The RV dumps all have water hoses that clearly state they are for that purpose only.
What does that have to do with "campsite water hoses" and ""?

Quote:
I sure hope you don't connect the campsite water hose to that thing.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
Graduate Member

I could swear you all are talking about different things....
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No documents, just opinions.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
I could swear you all are talking about different things....
I'm just confused, to be honest. The flush product can be a good product for those without a black tank flush- if your plumbing is setup so that there's a fairly straight shot from the sewer connection to the tank. Unfortunately, I have one, but I bought it before realizing my plumbing wasn't setup for it. So now I have a really expensive clear elbow. (sheepish grin)

My confusion comes in bakken's post that was very alarmist when this product was recommended. Reading between the lines, he seemed to be indicating that you would contaminate the water source if you used it. These things come with back flow preventers to protect against that *exact* situation. I was then intrigued when he said they were disallowed at the campground/rv park where they currently reside but seems to have gotten 2 things mixed up with that statement (his original mention was campsite water sources and then switched to talking about RV dump stations).

I was just hoping to help provide information on the product that was mentioned and then get clarity from bakken.

(Shrugs.)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I'm just confused, to be honest. The flush product can be a good product for those without a black tank flush- if your plumbing is setup so that there's a fairly straight shot from the sewer connection to the tank. Unfortunately, I have one, but I bought it before realizing my plumbing wasn't setup for it. So now I have a really expensive clear elbow. (sheepish grin)

My confusion comes in bakken's post that was very alarmist when this product was recommended. Reading between the lines, he seemed to be indicating that you would contaminate the water source if you used it. These things come with back flow preventers to protect against that *exact* situation. I was then intrigued when he said they were disallowed at the campground/rv park where they currently reside but seems to have gotten 2 things mixed up with that statement (his original mention was campsite water sources and then switched to talking about RV dump stations).

I was just hoping to help provide information on the product that was mentioned and then get clarity from bakken.

(Shrugs.)
Back flow preventers do work as you say as long as it doesn't stick "open" as the check valves commonly do on the fw inlet.
One time of that and you'll use a seperate hose. Imo
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To the op.
Do you in fact know for sure that you even have a full hook up site to be worried about a sewer hose and tapered ramp?

Turbs
Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Back flow preventers do work as you say as long as it doesn't stick "open" as the check valves commonly do on the fw inlet.
One time of that and you'll use a seperate hose. Imo
Ahh, I wasn't clear - I wholly suggest using separate hoses. One hose for my black tank flushes (either a the built-in tank flush or the product that was mentioned) and a SEPARATE set of hoses for my fresh water inlet.

However, I do hook up a wye to the hose outlet and hookup one side to my sewer hose and the other to my fresh water hose. Given the propensity for back-flow preventers to malfunction, I'm possibly cross-contaminating my fresh water hose anyway.

I'd guess the only way to properly protect against that is to disconnect my FW hose when I do my black tank flush and when I reconnect it - clean the spigot with bleach.

Given that I'm moving to quick hose disconnects. That might not be too bad to do.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ahh, I wasn't clear - I wholly suggest using separate hoses. One hose for my black tank flushes (either a the built-in tank flush or the product that was mentioned) and a SEPARATE set of hoses for my fresh water inlet.

However, I do hook up a wye to the hose outlet and hookup one side to my sewer hose and the other to my fresh water hose. Given the propensity for back-flow preventers to malfunction, I'm possibly cross-contaminating my fresh water hose anyway.

I'd guess the only way to properly protect against that is to disconnect my FW hose when I do my black tank flush and when I reconnect it - clean the spigot with bleach.

Given that I'm moving to quick hose disconnects. That might not be too bad to do.
I do the same, except I have a shut off at the trailer hose connection for the black tank flush. There is always water flowing into the black tank when I shut the water off at the trailer connection. That eliminates possible back flow if the backflow preventer fails.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I do the same, except I have a shut off at the trailer hose connection for the black tank flush. There is always water flowing into the black tank when I shut the water off at the trailer connection. That eliminates possible back flow if the backflow preventer fails.
Interesting- I do it similarly. My shut off is at the wye itself at the campsite spigot. I always turn off the water there (while it's running as I rarely ever fully turn off the water).
Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
To the op.
Do you in fact know for sure that you even have a full hook up site to be worried about a sewer hose and tapered ramp?

Turbs
Tapered ramp? Do you mean donut? Have had to use them 3 or 4 times in campgrounds without threaded pipe and the regulations require "sealed" sewer connections. As ependydad stated, they are a pita to use.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Interesting- I do it similarly. My shut off is at the wye itself at the campsite spigot. I always turn off the water there (while it's running as I rarely ever fully turn off the water).
Shut offs are available @ Lowes,HD
Shop Gilmour Brass 1-Way Restricted-Flow Water Shut-Off at Lowes.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose shut off.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	35538  
Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Tapered ramp? Do you mean donut? Have had to use them 3 or 4 times in campgrounds without threaded pipe and the regulations require "sealed" sewer connections. As ependydad stated, they are a pita to use.
No the hose support.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
As ependydad stated, they are a pita to use.
I'm "glad" to hear that. I thought I was doing something wrong. I cursed that thing each and every time and never felt like I got a really good connection any of the times that I used it.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #38
B47

Quote:
For sites that the sewer outlet isn't threaded- this gives you an airtight seal between the elbow and the sewer connection.

Some campgrounds require them and just so happen to sell them in the store. :-)

I've used it 2 or 3 times and curse it every time!
Maybe I'm late to the party, but an "airtight seal ..." Are there air quality meters at each sewer connection now?

I can understand an effort to have a liquid
/ solid waste tight seal at the connection, but airtight is new to me. If an airtight seal at the sewer connection is now required, then the last time I was at one, it wasn't working.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Maybe I'm late to the party, but an "airtight seal ..." Are there air quality meters at each sewer connection now?

I can understand an effort to have a liquid
/ solid waste tight seal at the connection, but airtight is new to me. If an airtight seal at the sewer connection is now required, then the last time I was at one, it wasn't working.
I've been in violation since '92 then.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
B47

Quote:
I've been in violation since '92 then.
I guess I need to fess up also - since last year for me
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote