Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Do You Wear Gloves?

I have read about this many times but witnessed it first hand this past weekend at Hardy Lake in Indiana.

I pulled up to the dump station just as a gentleman and his wife were staring down the dump valves of their TT. My guess is that they weren't planning on anyone watching what they were about to do!

The guy reaches down, pulls his black tank valve and spews blue liquid w/chucks all over the dump drain as he holds it open with his foot. He then reaches down and dumps his grey tank!

I was really miffed to say the least so I of course had to go tell him "hey, they make sewer hoses every day"! He proceeds to tell me that this is not an issue because they "don't use their toilet"! So I have to ask...."if you don't use your toilet...where is the blue water coming from?" He does't really answer other than to repeat that they don't use the toilet!

I have to fall back to the old adage....You Can't Fix Stupid!

Where your gloves....this guy may be dumping his tanks before you do!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

I always wear disposable latex or food handler's gloves - wear them once & throw them away.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #3

FYI: The latex "Doctor type" gloves come in different thicknesses also. Most of the gloves sold at places such as Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot are of the 5 mil thickness. One mill + one-thousandths of an inch (.001"). These have been known to break/split when placing them on the hand if they are pulled too tight. What is too tight? Well, if a hole comes in the glove while putting it on--they you pulled too tight IMO. You can purchase 7 mil, and 10 mil gloves from various industrial suppliers and they are maybe a buck or two more than those thin gloves. One of my best friends and wife camp with us often and he uses those "dish-washing" type gloves and washes them when he gets home. UGH!! Not me. I prefer to throw them away after one use.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

I have chemical rubber gloves, and I wash them after use........ Ok, sometimes I do use the disposable gloves.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

I have a seasonal spot. The "honey wagon" comes and sucks out the black tank for $10 whenever I ask them to... so I never touch it except the end of the year as I pull out. I have 1 of those little cart things for my grey water, cause my grey tank can fill up in 2-3 days with 5 in there... and I wear heavy disposable gloves for the cart just because it gets dumped at the dump station. I ain't unscrewing those caps with my bare hands no way.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
MI Camperz

Disposable. Can't wash away all the germs and spores. Where you gonna wash them? Sinks at home? Yuck! There's a reason gloves that handle human body fluids are disposable. Remove them so you don't touch the outside. p.s. After removing gloves, still do a thorough washing of your hands afterward.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

No gloves, wash my hands with soap and water after dumping, hoses are clean on the outside and I don't put my hands on the inside of the hoses or connections.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Leather gloves, soap and disinfectant. And, I do not go to parks where stupid lives.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
No gloves, wash my hands with soap and water after dumping, hoses are clean on the outside and I don't put my hands on the inside of the hoses or connections.
X2
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
X2
Tried the disposable gloves and still had to wash my hands to get rid of the powder from the gloves. Total wasted effort plus disposing of the gloves is not a green thing.