Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #101

Maybe next year. I'm unsure about using teflon tape and/or anti-seize; I think you have to maintain metal to metal contact for the anode to be effective; perhaps someone can chime in.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #102

Pipe threads cut thru Teflon tape without problems unless you use stupid amounts.

Few home owners seem to have a clue there's an anode in their tanks at home. "Anode? What's that?" Don't be that guy. At least drain a few gallons and see what's collecting in the bottom. If it's rust color your tank may be on its last legs. Unless you personally checked and changed the anode there you can bet it's never been touched. See the video I posted earlier in this thread. Getting the anode out can be a challenge, note he's using an extension on the breaker bar! Finding just a thin wire inside as I did this spring in our new-to-us house will be a shock. I wrote the anode change date right on the water heater with black magic marker.

No way I'd put a water heater other than in the basement or garage. Years ago I was third owner of a home and the entire bottom of the 20 year old water heater blew out and put water all over my basement floor. A few years later the drain valve blew out of the side of the tank on the replacement heater! I heard that "water is running" sound that's usually just a toilet in the middle of the night both times. Both resulted in cold showers that day. "Anode? What's that?" Yep, I was that guy.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #103
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Maybe next year. I'm unsure about using teflon tape and/or anti-seize; I think you have to maintain metal to metal contact for the anode to be effective; perhaps someone can chime in.

Teflon tape is fine. Just wrap it opposite to the way you screw the anode in. If you wrap it the wrong way the teflon tape will bunch up on the threads, sometimes come completely off and not do it's job.

Never use anti-seize compound or paste in your plumbing. Anti-seize has aluminum, copper or lead powder mixed in. Aluminum and lead can be adsorbed through the skin and both are toxic.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #104

I have never had Teflon tape bunch up,,, no matter which way I install it !!!
Just keep it tight and rub down what finished !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode