Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Does this make sense?

I have only used my fresh water holding tank a couple times, normally i have hookups. BUT, both times I used it I would fill it up and then head down the road. The drive is about 1 1/2 hours. Each time, I found a wet spot on the carpet in the bed room ( I have a fifth wheel 365SAQB) right over top of where the holding tank would be and behind the panel for the shower valves. I would towel dry the spot both times and it would be kind of dry the next day. The system would work fine as designed. I have checked the valves for the shower, and checked fro leaks behind my control panel around the tank and have found nothing. So, my thinking is if it makes any sense, could the water get to thrashing around in the holding tank while going down the road to the point some gets out somehow on the top of the tank making the carpet wet?? The other confusing thing is its getting wet above the holding tank and its not a pressurized system, so how is the leak going upward......
lnewsome27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

One of our camp host partners bought a brand new high end fiver last January. It was in the shop for over a month because of a similar situation plus rotten floor. Turned out there was a hole punched in the top of the water tank which desteoyed the floor.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

I don't know exactly where the fill hose is inserted to the fresh water tank, it only makes sense to do this at the top.
Have said that,more than likely the connection where hose meets the tank is not 100% sealed.
An hour and a half Of travel is a long time for water to be sloshing around.
Leaking connection, water sloshing that long, ya I can see some substantial wetness.
I would try if I could see that connection or maybe ask the dealer where it is and see if it lines up with your wetness. Mind you water can certainly travel elsewhere.

Just a thought.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #4

Most definitely a leak of some type, I Would be more concerned about how the carpet is getting wet thru the subfloor. Does the floor feel soft where it gets wet?
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #5

The floor is fine. Its only happened twice and is associated with the fresh water holding tank only. When I'm hooked up there are no issues
Old 03-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewsome27 View Post
The floor is fine. Its only happened twice and is associated with the fresh water holding tank only. When I'm hooked up there are no issues
Tank is by-passed when hooked up.........to city water by the water pump
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

One of the pex tubing clamps they used on white non-pex tubing for my freshwater system, going to water pump, had pinched a hole in the tubing causing it to leak. I had water in my storage area. It started to come under the panels in the main area of the trailer.
I also would check the vent or fill tubing to see if the clamp is loose where it attaches onto the holding tank. My fill tube is just a 3" flexible tube that has very thin walls. A hose clamp is all the secures it to the holding tank.

Good Luck!!

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Before is does some serious damage I would not travel with water in the tank.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
I have only used my fresh water holding tank a couple times, normally i have hookups. BUT, both times I used it I would fill it up and then head down the road. The drive is about 1 1/2 hours. Each time, I found a wet spot on the carpet in the bed room ( I have a fifth wheel 365SAQB) right over top of where the holding tank would be and behind the panel for the shower valves. I would towel dry the spot both times and it would be kind of dry the next day. The system would work fine as designed. I have checked the valves for the shower, and checked fro leaks behind my control panel around the tank and have found nothing. So, my thinking is if it makes any sense, could the water get to thrashing around in the holding tank while going down the road to the point some gets out somehow on the top of the tank making the carpet wet?? The other confusing thing is its getting wet above the holding tank and its not a pressurized system, so how is the leak going upward......
Is there a reason you are traveling with a full tank? Most CG even if they don't have full service have water available to fill your tank after you get there. I used a couple of state CG last year that had a couple of locations to fill my tank. Just opened the drain to empty the FW tank when I left. I don't like pulling an extra 400 to 500 pounds if I don't have to.

I sounds like there is a hole in the top of your tank. If this is a new unit I would take it back to the dealer. The leak has to be underneath the floor. When you fill the tank you could be pressurizing it. When you fill the tank do you stop before it comes out the overflow or stop before it does? Your overflow should stop the tank from being under pressure. There could be a leak where that line connects to the tank. It would have to be squirting up and soaking the floor.

Sorry, thinking "out loud".

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

I fill up because there is no place to do so without paying $1.50 a gallon. Its only when I go to the race track. Its pretty much a large field. I don't typically run with water

My rig doesn't has an overflow out the bottom, the hose has a screw in connection. i have to sit and watch the gauge inside and tell the wife when to shut it off.

It definitely is fresh tank related and has to have something to do with going down the road, because once in place there are no issues. i am just trying to save myself from dropping the belly and the tank to look at it if there really isn't a problem.

Thanks for everyones help and ideas
Old 03-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #11

Meant to say "does" have an overflow on the bottom
Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Meant to say "does" have an overflow on the bottom
Have you actually seen the water come out of the overflow hose when filling the tank. It almost sounds like you see an overflow tube, but it may not actually be properly inserted in the hole at the top of the tank.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #13

I found a similar problem on another person's tt that we decided was caused by filler connection that was not aligned. No more problems after removing and reinstalling filler neck.
I am surprised you don't have a visible overflow. I would look for that again. My former tt had a cap on it so that it looked just like the drain. I had to remove it so it would function. If you don't find it check with dealer
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #14

Check both the fill and overflow return tubing to the water tank.

On my last camper, the overflow was cut a little too short and the tubing was very tight and when things warmed up, the tubing came off the tank slip on fitting causing a similar issue.

Fill tank and observe what happens after you take a look at it. Have a buddy help by filling while you watch.

If no obvious issues with fill and overflow tubing and connections then by all means drop the tank to see if some knucklhead at the factory screwed a floor screw into the top of your tank. This is not a rare problem.

Lastly, make sure you inspect, with buddy help, all drainage. Every caper I have owned has had improperly secured/connected drain fittings. Last one never had the drain for tub connected and it was draining unto my coroplast bottom liner and seeping out the sides. Since we don't use much water showering, it took a while for us to catch this issue...thank God no water damage to floor.

Good luck!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
I fill up because there is no place to do so without paying $1.50 a gallon. Its only when I go to the race track. Its pretty much a large field. I don't typically run with water

My rig doesn't has an overflow out the bottom, the hose has a screw in connection. i have to sit and watch the gauge inside and tell the wife when to shut it off.

It definitely is fresh tank related and has to have something to do with going down the road, because once in place there are no issues. i am just trying to save myself from dropping the belly and the tank to look at it if there really isn't a problem.

Thanks for everyones help and ideas
I thought all FW tanks have an overflow connection. I might be as simple as a short piece of hose screwed into the top of the tank that is suppose to run to the ground. There is no need for a valve on the overflow but if it does have one make sure it is open. My FW tank has a hose fitting also but I never use it. Pick up or make this fitting.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40003-Water-Filler-Shutoff/dp/B0006IX850/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1458050950&sr=8-11&keywords=fresh+water+tank

This slips into the pipe and when the water backs up you shut it off. No need to stand inside and watch anything. Costs less than 5 bucks and well worth it!

Here is a thought. Fill the tank then open the drain and drain 5 or 6 gallons of water. This will remove any pressure and if it is coming from the overflow for some reason it should drop the water level enough to prevent it from leaking. Go for a ride and if your floor stays dry then you will know it is coming from the top of the tank for some reason.

Jim
Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Left Coast

Cut a 3 sided trap door and take a look....not gonna fix it-self, then use tape to reseal..the bottom 'cover' isn't water tight in the first place and not a structural member.....this trailers freshwater overflow is combined into filler neck and doubles as a vent
Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Cut a 3 sided trap door and take a look....not gonna fix it-self, then use tape to reseal..the bottom 'cover' isn't water tight in the first place and not a structural member.....this trailers freshwater overflow is combined into filler neck and doubles as a vent
So it could very easily be leaking where it comes out of the tank at the top.

Bob, got a question. If he is screwing the hose on to the fill fitting wouldn't the tank be under pressure when it became full because the water can't come out the overflow, right? This is because the overflow is going into the fill tube and would have no place to go. If this is the case the filler tube fitting I recommended above should fix the problem. When the tank is full the water backs out of the filler tube.

Jim

Jim
Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Left Coast

Should work like you said........if air pressure was injected into visible end of overflow hose, and the hose was connected at tank, should be able to hear the air mak'n bubbles in tank or make it leak, after filling tank
Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
Left Coast

Wifi here at campground very spotty.....I would apply air to visible end of overflow hose, with a full tank, and see if I could water coming out.......then, if needed, cut away.....your solution should work if everything is 'hooked' up.....I just like to look! lol
Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
Left Coast

2 posts......said it was 'spotty'.....lol