Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #241

Thank you, I will keep that for future reference. The water will stay in the bowl for about 3-4 hours but does have a slow drip. There are no odors coming from the tank at all. I have a very sensitive sniffer and not to gross you out, I can actually put my nose right in the opening when it is open and there is no odor. It is coming from the opening at the back of the toilet.
For 2 weeks I have cleaned, investigated, and searched and then I found this forum which describes everything that is happening.

Dan and Cheryl
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2013 Rockwood Roo 19 Hybrid
Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy View Post
Thank you, I will keep that for future reference. The water will stay in the bowl for about 3-4 hours but does have a slow drip. There are no odors coming from the tank at all. I have a very sensitive sniffer and not to gross you out, I can actually put my nose right in the opening when it is open and there is no odor. It is coming from the opening at the back of the toilet.
For 2 weeks I have cleaned, investigated, and searched and then I found this forum which describes everything that is happening.

Dan and Cheryl
Best of luck to you. This took care of my problem. I am happy that I do not need to purchase a new one right now. I do plan this winter, on getting a new 320 Series if it will bolt on without any added issues.

Please do post here about your results with Dometic service.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Best of luck to you. This took care of my problem. I am happy that I do not need to purchase a new one right now. I do plan this winter, on getting a new 320 Series if it will bolt on without any added issues.

Please do post here about your results with Dometic service.
Just got an email back from Diane. This is what it said: "We did make a modification to this toilet in September 2013. Your toilet was assembled prior to that time. I will send you a replacement toilet at no charge."
Now we just have to wait for the new throne and then a good airing out.

I am so glad I found this forum. It is sooooo helpful.

Dan &Cheryl
Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #244
Use the Force Roo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12i30 View Post
We had a similar experience with our brand new 27BESS last month. Four days into our first camping trip, there was a foul odor in the bathroom. The odor was not coming from the black tank and the fan was off. In desperation, I removed the toilet. There was a problem with the flush valve that allowed the nasty stuff to build up under the bowl. Dometic sent a replacement to the campground via next day air.
I am having the same problem, however I bought my 2013 Rockwood Roo 233s used from the dealer and the warranty info says original owner. Thoughts out there if Dometic will still honor the warranty or will I be buying a new Dometic instead?
BGlickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #245

They didn't ask that many questions. They just asked for the serial number and where to send the new toilet.
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS (broken and TOTALED)
2008 Surveyor SV-234 (SOLD, but not forgotten)
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGlickster View Post
I am having the same problem, however I bought my 2013 Rockwood Roo 233s used from the dealer and the warranty info says original owner. Thoughts out there if Dometic will still honor the warranty or will I be buying a new Dometic instead?
Go a head and email them the sticker on the side of the toilet but don't tell them you are second owners, though I don't think it matters. The toilet might be faulty.

I sent them a short note, my sticker and mailing address on Mon and I received a response on Tues and just now received the new toilet by Purolator.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #247
Use the Force Roo

Really have to say I am quite impressed with Diane, who was very helpful and advised me my Dometic 300 was faulty from the start and would be sending me a replacement. I would have to install myself, since it is not under warranty, but I am able remove and install the toilet. She even gave me some helpful tips and advice, to not "tip over the toilet when removing it"...

Thanks to the forum and this thread in particular, which was vital in getting me pointed into the right direction for my problem...
BGlickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #248

We have a 310 that is 3 years old and has just started with this smell --- unbearable!!
I called Dometic and, sure enough, they are shipping me a free replacement. She balked, saying there was no issue with the 310, but changed her mind.
It sounds easy enough to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
We have a 310 that is 3 years old and has just started with this smell --- unbearable!!
I called Dometic and, sure enough, they are shipping me a free replacement. She balked, saying there was no issue with the 310, but changed her mind.
It sounds easy enough to replace.

BGlickster posting is correct. DO NOT tilt the old toilet when you remove it. You WILL get an abundance of brown liquid pouring from the rear of toilet. You recited having a model 310. IS it a 310 OR 300? The label located on right/rear will recite this information. The removal/reinstall of toilets takes approximately 30 minutes. Make sure Dometic sent a new base (floor) foam gasket and use it. My 300 also leaked and was replaced by me. Dometic is VERY generous in sending an upgraded toilet.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #250

It is a 310.
The tech at the RV store thinks I'm crazy. He's never heard of a faulty toilet. He says to get on the roof and check the vent to blockage. Another suggestion was to use a different chemical.
I usually dump and rinse out daily. He said I should dump only when it is full. Any thoughts? My guess is all the testimonials found on this link were solved without the use of a tech, so they aren't savvy to the issues mentioned here.

Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #251

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
It is a 310.
The tech at the RV store thinks I'm crazy. He's never heard of a faulty toilet. He says to get on the roof and check the vent to blockage. Another suggestion was to use a different chemical.
I usually dump and rinse out daily. He said I should dump only when it is full. Any thoughts? My guess is all the testimonials found on this link were solved without the use of a tech, so they aren't savvy to the issues mentioned here.

The Tech must be new! The toilet issue has been in existence for at least two years and well publicized! When you remove the existing toilet (keep upright) and tilt over grass, you will get at least a quart of pure brown liquid "fertilizer"! The Tech has not kept abreast of the RV world issues. The remainder of his recommendations display the lack of experience!

l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #252

My tech told me the same thing. He was shocked when they over nighted a new toilet.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #253

The Dometic 300 is still a problem. We have had our 2016 Rockwood for just about a year. All summer long my wife has scrubbed the bathroom over and over, but couldn't get rid of the smell. We blamed the grandkids and implemented a "sit only" policy.

Turns out we have a faulty toilet verified by using a mirror and flashlight that someone recommended online. There is about 1" of brown liquid between the halves of the toilet bowl. I don't see solids, just liquid that has partially evaporated. The smell is driving us crazy.... I complained to the dealer and he apparently is unaware of this defective toilet. I'll be calling Dometic when they open on Tuesday after Labor Day.

I'm happy to finally figure this out, and angry that it was allowed to happen in the first place. This thread was started in 2013..... why was a defective toilet installed in my trailer that was manufactured in August of 2015???
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #254
Double Dutch

Dometic Toilet

One word of caution on the Dometic model 310: remove the valve completely when winterizing! We have had 2 freeze during the winter causing a hasty trip to the dealer during our first spring usage.

It turns out that the replacement part (catalog) indicates that it should be removed in the winter due to the small amount of water that may be held up in it. After starting our camping the last 2 years, we have had the same issue - now we remove the valve on the 310. (Just finished winterizing.)
84 Days 2016
50+ Days 2017
Not enough 2018
DoubleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #255
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
One word of caution on the Dometic model 310: remove the valve completely when winterizing! We have had 2 freeze during the winter causing a hasty trip to the dealer during our first spring usage.

It turns out that the replacement part (catalog) indicates that it should be removed in the winter due to the small amount of water that may be held up in it. After starting our camping the last 2 years, we have had the same issue - now we remove the valve on the 310. (Just finished winterizing.)
Do you not use RV antifreeze when winterizing?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Do you not use RV antifreeze when winterizing?
A lot of people in the south don't use antifreeze. I have never have. I have always drained the lines and then blown them out with an air compressor set to about 30 psi.

Unfortunately, in my first year with this trailer, I learned about the Dometic 310 valve not draining this way as well. My first outing was wet.

I never winterized this last winter because I was camping so often and didn't want to deal with that stupid valve. I just turned the heat on when it was going to freeze. The cost of the extra propane versus the cost of the valve versus the cost of the antifreeze is basically a wash for me in Texas.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #257
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmdsmith View Post
A lot of people in the south don't use antifreeze. I have never have. I have always drained the lines and then blown them out with an air compressor set to about 30 psi.

Unfortunately, in my first year with this trailer, I learned about the Dometic 310 valve not draining this way as well. My first outing was wet.

I never winterized this last winter because I was camping so often and didn't want to deal with that stupid valve. I just turned the heat on when it was going to freeze. The cost of the extra propane versus the cost of the valve versus the cost of the antifreeze is basically a wash for me in Texas.
I understand some not using antifreeze if the climate is only cool but if you've had problems with things freezing and breaking, I'm pretty sure I'd be considering its use as who knows where else in the system water might be trapped.
I sure wouldn't want some inaccessible elbow splitting somewhere in a wall or under the shower.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandJ View Post
The Dometic 300 is still a problem. We have had our 2016 Rockwood for just about a year. All summer long my wife has scrubbed the bathroom over and over, but couldn't get rid of the smell. We blamed the grandkids and implemented a "sit only" policy.

Turns out we have a faulty toilet verified by using a mirror and flashlight that someone recommended online. There is about 1" of brown liquid between the halves of the toilet bowl. I don't see solids, just liquid that has partially evaporated. The smell is driving us crazy.... I complained to the dealer and he apparently is unaware of this defective toilet. I'll be calling Dometic when they open on Tuesday after Labor Day.

I'm happy to finally figure this out, and angry that it was allowed to happen in the first place. This thread was started in 2013..... why was a defective toilet installed in my trailer that was manufactured in August of 2015???
Just to follow up.....

Dometic would only replace my defective 300 with a new 300 at no charge. They claim the 300 problems have been fixed and they were unwilling to budge at my request for a 310. I explained that many were upgraded to the 310 and that I felt that it would be fare if they did the same for me. I also voiced my displeasure that they had continued to allow a known defective unit to be installed in new trailers for at least 2 years. I also let them know my displeasure that I had to deal with this problem for a year because my dealer was unaware of the issue when i asked about odors in the bathroom of my new trailer. I blamed the grandkids and my wife spent many hours scrubbing the walls and floor thinking the odor was caused by the kids. This has been an unpleasant experience from start to finish...

I did order a 310, however, they required a $50 up-charge.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #259

My 320 did it, but they did replace it
Old 09-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #260

My 310 did it, too. They replaced it