Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #441
Trailer Park Supervisor

I would like to know why this happens on some toilets, and not others. Started my 3rd season with my 300, still no issues. My trailer was built early November 2018. Looks like putting some sealant on the gasket seen on the youtube video above is easy enough if it comes down to it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #442

With all the comments I've seen elsewhere, I wonder if doing this mod, should silicone be the sealant or something else? Seems there will be a lot of stress on those spots.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
Just got my used 2020 Geo Pro G19FD about 5 weeks ago and the lingering sewer smell led me to this thread. It is absolutely unbelievable that Forest River/Rockwood was still installing a defective toilet in their units as late as 2020.

I saw some mounting/spacing issues mentioned in this thread, does anyone know for sure if the 310 or 320 will fit this model camper without modification?

Also, when people are saying they had to go to the "dealer" for help, can that be "any" dealer or does it have to be an authorized Forest River dealer? I bought my used gPro from a non-Forest River dealer.

I hope I can at least still get the free repair kit mentioned. I spent a lot of money on this camper and multiple mods for more solar and an Andersen hitch and don't want to spend another $200 or so on a new toilet.

Thanks for your help.
I initially sealed all gaps per the youtube video. I couldn't tolerate the awful smell. After the job, stench was gone! As I do not want to deal with it again, I ended up replacing it with a 310.
Oh, I soon discovered that the initial fix did not solve the issue. When I dismounted the old 300 toilet to install the new unit, i can smell that dreadful stinky urine smell! I am so glad I replaced it with a brand new toilet. How I got it for $53 upgrade is another story.

Yes, normally they will have you take the tt to a dealer that sells your make. In your case, perhaps the dealer you bought it from could give you a deep discount on a new toilet out of courtesy. You'd want to just install it yourself, or your tt will sit at the repair shop for a while.

I hope someone who owns same model as your would chime in. The 310 barely fit on mine, maybe less than 1/8 inch to the back wall.

If 310 fits, go for it. You'd never know if the "new" 300 replacement or off the shelf is guaranteed to never have the stinky issue.

The extra $$ you spend now will be so worth it if none of the dealers can assist you. You don't have to deal with that lingering stench. I think that's worth the $200. As someone mentioned, look out for a Camping World sales event. Or maybe just buy a different brand that's comparable and least expensive? Good luck.

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
Has anyone ever actually received one of the repair kits?
Yep, I almost tossed it in the trash with the toilet then decided I could use the floor seal in the future if needed.

I decided to replace the toilet with another brand because after disassembling the toilet I determined a seal kit would be a temporary fix. The flexing of the plastic base leads to the seals leaking.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #445

What brand did you go with? Do you think it is a better quality unit? Was the price about the same as a Dometic?

Thanks for your input.
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #446

I have the same problem with the model 300 as everyone else has had in my 2020 171RBXL. I knew that the RV and motor home industry was pretty appalling when it comes to construction and products, but to intentionally sell a product with a known defect many years after it was discovered is beyond the pale. I sent Dometic an email about the issue, but I don’t expect to get a reply. I’m going to try what what was done in the video with the caulking and see what happens, but I’ll probably end up replacing the toilet.
Highinthemountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #447

Well, to little to late. We bought our trailer in early 2018 and untill we started having the smell issue (this year) and started to research I never heard of this issue. Now that warrenty is well past I doubt they will assist.

I don't think the 310 will fit as there is very little room between the toilet and the wall.

So I pulled ours and took it appart. It appears the gasket between the upper portion of the bowl and the lower portion that collects the waste was coated in something like vasaline. I suspect that since this isnt a pressurized system they felt this would last?

The gasket/ o-ring was still in good shape so I am hoping that after cleaning everything very well and then using non-hardening silicone (an excessive amount) to reassemble that we have fixed the toilet (holding my beath...).

It does amaze me that this tread started in 2013 and this is still an issue.

I read all the way thru this thread looking for any one with a 21SS that replaced their toilet with a 310 just hoping that some how it would actually fit but no luck. Of couse there is a LARGE number of people who have no info in their signature line to say what rig they actually have so who knows...maybe someone has....
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #448

Quote:
I read all the way thru this thread looking for any one with a 21SS that replaced their toilet with a 310 just hoping that some how it would actually fit but no luck. Of couse there is a LARGE number of people who have no info in their signature line to say what rig they actually have so who knows...maybe someone has
2 weeks ago I replaced my 300 with a 310... they are almost identical toilets with nothing drastic size wise different. I have the 183 Shamrock. Took me about 30 minutes total. Just need a 7/16 wrench and a channel lock pliers. I used a ratcheting box end wrench. Oh and a flashlight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #449
Trailer Park Supervisor

I am like you Hawkester, into my 3rd season. Keeping fingers crossed, no odor so far. Glad you were able to fix it. I'm in same boat, not enough clearance to put in 310. I read about a guy who did it, but had to cut an ugly notch in cabinet door behind it to allow lid to open and stay up. Question for those who had the odor problem: Did any of you transport the trailer with very full black tanks, where stuff might have sloshed up into this void everyone talks about? I have only made a short run to dump stations. It makes me wonder if this is one of the factors. I can't see how liquid is making it's way into that void without something like this happening.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Question for those who had the odor problem: Did any of you transport the trailer with very full black tanks, where stuff might have sloshed up into this void everyone talks about? I have only made a short run to dump stations. It makes me wonder if this is one of the factors. I can't see how liquid is making it's way into that void without something like this happening.
The top bowel acts like a funnel and inserts into a tube on the bottom portion of the bowl that rests on the pedistal. There is a flat o-ring gasket between the funnel and the tube, this was coated with something like vasaline on mine. Liquid makes it's way up between the funnel and tube and over flows into the bottom bowl.

I suspect that the vasaline type product either dries up or something. all of 2018, 19, and 20 we had no issues....then 21 hit...

rsdata I am glad it worked for you, it is very easy to remove and replace (and to take apart) but I only have about 1/2" between my toilet and the back wall and by every thing I have read there is a 1.5" difference in size between the 300 and 310.

I am hoping my fix will hold, but only time will tell.
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #451

Quote:
rsdata I am glad it worked for you, it is very easy to remove and replace (and to take apart) but I only have about 1/2" between my toilet and the back wall and by every thing I have read there is a 1.5" difference in size between the 300 and 310.
OH... I had like 3-4 inches to the back wall so I may not have noticed an inch and a half difference

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 06-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #452
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkester View Post
The top bowel acts like a funnel and inserts into a tube on the bottom portion of the bowl that rests on the pedistal. There is a flat o-ring gasket between the funnel and the tube, this was coated with something like vasaline on mine. Liquid makes it's way up between the funnel and tube and over flows into the bottom bowl.

I suspect that the vasaline type product either dries up or something. all of 2018, 19, and 20 we had no issues....then 21 hit...

I am hoping my fix will hold, but only time will tell.
I will fix like you did rather than replace if it become necessary. I'm not giving Dometic another dime in sales if this 300 fails in this manner.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #453

Hawkester...
just went out and measured

the old 300 measures right at 20 inches front to back including the little nub of a screw at the back of the bowl out to the front lip... while the new 310 measures 19 inches front to back.

The mounted flange bolt measures 11.5 inches to the back wall on the left side... of course the right side bolt is obscured because of the foot pedal. I would guess because there is some ability to rotate those flange bolts that measurement may have + or - 1/4 inch play front to back depending on how the bowl is rotated.

I have not actually been out and used the new bowl, but is seems nicer and came with an attached hose similar to a kitchen hose to help spray away whatever needs to be cleaned. It has a hanger that I screwed to the edge of the shower back.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 06-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #454

Just finished this repair trailer is 2019 and it was bad at least 1/2 gallon of nasty water in this reservoir, removed all seals after diss-assembly, cleaned, and RV siliconed as numerous people showed in video,s (thanks guys and gals!) No new parts needed, too new! Definite design flaw by domestic engineers. I have been in industrial maintenance for 47 yrs just about seen it all!
B-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I am like you Hawkester, into my 3rd season. Keeping fingers crossed, no odor so far. Glad you were able to fix it. I'm in same boat, not enough clearance to put in 310. I read about a guy who did it, but had to cut an ugly notch in cabinet door behind it to allow lid to open and stay up. Question for those who had the odor problem: Did any of you transport the trailer with very full black tanks, where stuff might have sloshed up into this void everyone talks about? I have only made a short run to dump stations. It makes me wonder if this is one of the factors. I can't see how liquid is making it's way into that void without something like this happening.
I have a 2021 Vibe 26bh with the toilet issue. I took it apart cleaned and sealed it around the gasket. It worked for the remainder of 2020, but it's back. The gasket and plastic flex and compress allowing "stuff" to get into the hollow part of the bowl.
The RV dealer sent me a new one under warranty. I just had to send them the label off the old one.
Just replaced it with the 310 porcelain model. Going to sell the new plastic one to offset cost.
Jmcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #456

Hi everyone, I'm now an official member of the Dometic 300 Pee stink club. 2018 minilite 2511s. Guess I'm lucky to make it this far. Of course past warranty I assume. Contacted Dometic , but don't expect a reply this soon. No waiting, the toilet definitely had to be removed from the trailer upon arriving home. We'll see if there's any compromise to what appears to be a known defect. I can certainly see that with the creakyness from day one, there must be flex the seals cannot withstand for long. I may try the silicone repair which sounds temporary or just junk it for the 310 if it fits.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #457

Here is what mine looked like inside. I scooped a quart of old urine out before I started blotting with paper towels. If you have 300, and it smells, I promise it looks like this inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210728_100150.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	259979  
Mikesurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #458
Trailer Park Supervisor

Barf!! I cannot even imagine how bad that smells. I'm hoping my nearly 280 lb butt is what is keeping seals compressed! Well into season 3, still no stink! Creaky, yes!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #459
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesurfs View Post
Here is what mine looked like inside. I scooped a quart of old urine out before I started blotting with paper towels. If you have 300, and it smells, I promise it looks like this inside.
YUCK!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #460
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesurfs View Post
Welcome to forum, and thanks for pic. I've never seen pics of the problem before, or how to address it, despite the numerous threads about it.

***edit, somehow I missed the pics from back in 2013, 23 pages of posts ago. Shame on me!