Old 08-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #251

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
It is a 310.
The tech at the RV store thinks I'm crazy. He's never heard of a faulty toilet. He says to get on the roof and check the vent to blockage. Another suggestion was to use a different chemical.
I usually dump and rinse out daily. He said I should dump only when it is full. Any thoughts? My guess is all the testimonials found on this link were solved without the use of a tech, so they aren't savvy to the issues mentioned here.

The Tech must be new! The toilet issue has been in existence for at least two years and well publicized! When you remove the existing toilet (keep upright) and tilt over grass, you will get at least a quart of pure brown liquid "fertilizer"! The Tech has not kept abreast of the RV world issues. The remainder of his recommendations display the lack of experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #252

My tech told me the same thing. He was shocked when they over nighted a new toilet.

smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #253

The Dometic 300 is still a problem. We have had our 2016 Rockwood for just about a year. All summer long my wife has scrubbed the bathroom over and over, but couldn't get rid of the smell. We blamed the grandkids and implemented a "sit only" policy.

Turns out we have a faulty toilet verified by using a mirror and flashlight that someone recommended online. There is about 1" of brown liquid between the halves of the toilet bowl. I don't see solids, just liquid that has partially evaporated. The smell is driving us crazy.... I complained to the dealer and he apparently is unaware of this defective toilet. I'll be calling Dometic when they open on Tuesday after Labor Day.

I'm happy to finally figure this out, and angry that it was allowed to happen in the first place. This thread was started in 2013..... why was a defective toilet installed in my trailer that was manufactured in August of 2015???
2017 Ram 3500 CTD SRW
2015 - 36 nights
2016 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #254

Dometic Toilet

One word of caution on the Dometic model 310: remove the valve completely when winterizing! We have had 2 freeze during the winter causing a hasty trip to the dealer during our first spring usage.

It turns out that the replacement part (catalog) indicates that it should be removed in the winter due to the small amount of water that may be held up in it. After starting our camping the last 2 years, we have had the same issue - now we remove the valve on the 310. (Just finished winterizing.)
84 Days 2016
DoubleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
One word of caution on the Dometic model 310: remove the valve completely when winterizing! We have had 2 freeze during the winter causing a hasty trip to the dealer during our first spring usage.

It turns out that the replacement part (catalog) indicates that it should be removed in the winter due to the small amount of water that may be held up in it. After starting our camping the last 2 years, we have had the same issue - now we remove the valve on the 310. (Just finished winterizing.)
Do you not use RV antifreeze when winterizing?
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Do you not use RV antifreeze when winterizing?
A lot of people in the south don't use antifreeze. I have never have. I have always drained the lines and then blown them out with an air compressor set to about 30 psi.

Unfortunately, in my first year with this trailer, I learned about the Dometic 310 valve not draining this way as well. My first outing was wet.

I never winterized this last winter because I was camping so often and didn't want to deal with that stupid valve. I just turned the heat on when it was going to freeze. The cost of the extra propane versus the cost of the valve versus the cost of the antifreeze is basically a wash for me in Texas.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmdsmith View Post
A lot of people in the south don't use antifreeze. I have never have. I have always drained the lines and then blown them out with an air compressor set to about 30 psi.

Unfortunately, in my first year with this trailer, I learned about the Dometic 310 valve not draining this way as well. My first outing was wet.

I never winterized this last winter because I was camping so often and didn't want to deal with that stupid valve. I just turned the heat on when it was going to freeze. The cost of the extra propane versus the cost of the valve versus the cost of the antifreeze is basically a wash for me in Texas.
I understand some not using antifreeze if the climate is only cool but if you've had problems with things freezing and breaking, I'm pretty sure I'd be considering its use as who knows where else in the system water might be trapped.
I sure wouldn't want some inaccessible elbow splitting somewhere in a wall or under the shower.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandJ View Post
The Dometic 300 is still a problem. We have had our 2016 Rockwood for just about a year. All summer long my wife has scrubbed the bathroom over and over, but couldn't get rid of the smell. We blamed the grandkids and implemented a "sit only" policy.

Turns out we have a faulty toilet verified by using a mirror and flashlight that someone recommended online. There is about 1" of brown liquid between the halves of the toilet bowl. I don't see solids, just liquid that has partially evaporated. The smell is driving us crazy.... I complained to the dealer and he apparently is unaware of this defective toilet. I'll be calling Dometic when they open on Tuesday after Labor Day.

I'm happy to finally figure this out, and angry that it was allowed to happen in the first place. This thread was started in 2013..... why was a defective toilet installed in my trailer that was manufactured in August of 2015???
Just to follow up.....

Dometic would only replace my defective 300 with a new 300 at no charge. They claim the 300 problems have been fixed and they were unwilling to budge at my request for a 310. I explained that many were upgraded to the 310 and that I felt that it would be fare if they did the same for me. I also voiced my displeasure that they had continued to allow a known defective unit to be installed in new trailers for at least 2 years. I also let them know my displeasure that I had to deal with this problem for a year because my dealer was unaware of the issue when i asked about odors in the bathroom of my new trailer. I blamed the grandkids and my wife spent many hours scrubbing the walls and floor thinking the odor was caused by the kids. This has been an unpleasant experience from start to finish...

I did order a 310, however, they required a $50 up-charge.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD SRW
2015 - 36 nights
2016 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #259

My 320 did it, but they did replace it
Old 09-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #260

My 310 did it, too. They replaced it