Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #61

I think after this incident FR and Dometic are at fault....they never told dealers of this problem. I phoned my dealer and they had no clue about the smelly toilets, they told me they never had a toilet give off a smell.. I pulled my toilet out on the driveway the smell is terrible on a 2014 BRAND NEW TRAILER, the smell followed the toilet and urine was dripping from the toilet. I have a toilet arriving first thing in the morning and will have a meeting with my dealer over this lack of communication with consumers......

2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #62
Missing Link

Well just picked our new puma this past Thur and noticed it had the 300. No odors yet after a 3 day trip but just waiting. Is there any way to tell off it's trapping substances while it's still installed?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #63

The only way I could tell is by the foul smell around the toilet. I have a 2014 and it only took a weekend camp to find out I had a problem .
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #64

I just had look at my 300 its sitting in the back under the water line it was 2 inches deep. Just take the toilet off and check if any urine is visible....
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Roads View Post
I have a new 2014 Grey Wolf 26BH with a Model 300 Dometic toilet with the same problem. Our dealer here in Ontario quickly replaced it with another Model 300 and after 3 days of use, we had the same smell issue. I found all these similar posts here in the FR Forum and let him know. He never heard of the problem, and is sending me a new Model 310 ASAP. The Dometic distributer in Brantford said they are also unaware, although the Dometic Rep in the previous posts in the US, is very aware. I don't understand why FR is not demanding Dometic to re-call these units?
FR is like GM of the 90's arrogant... and does not care this is my second FR brand new trailer in 3 years and my LAST..... The toilet was on the list of 15 issues with my trailer the problems are quality control and communication.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #66

No recall yet probably for the same reasons auto manufacturers issues TSB's rather than recalls. It's cheaper to take care of the select people having issues rather than recall everything. Dometic has been handling this well so far. Everyone on here who has had issues with the 300 seem to have been taken care of in a timely fashion. It's frustrating. I had mine done also on my '14 model. I don't think FR is entirely to blame. They source these parts from several manufactures. No matter what brand rv, they are mostly the same components when it comes to appliances and fixtures.
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
No recall yet probably for the same reasons auto manufacturers issues TSB's rather than recalls. It's cheaper to take care of the select people having issues rather than recall everything. Dometic has been handling this well so far. Everyone on here who has had issues with the 300 seem to have been taken care of in a timely fashion. It's frustrating. I had mine done also on my '14 model. I don't think FR is entirely to blame. They source these parts from several manufactures. No matter what brand rv, they are mostly the same components when it comes to appliances and fixtures.

My point I have owned 2 FR products in 3 years first one titanic took on water....FR new of problem but sat till you the customer snapped...Toilet issue my dealer had no CLUE of this issue..... I told them of issue...that is a BIG issue between FR and Dometic. Dometic handled issues YES I agree. But FR never notified dealers in Canada from what I found out today. I talked with FR dealer north of me NO CLUE...My dealer NO CLUE.. I remember a movie I watched 10 plus years ago manufacture weighed option over fixing and over paying out lawsuits in court.... FR and Dometic are sitting on fence you phone you get replaced you have no clue you do not get fixed.... That is my issue.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #68

That was my point, you had an issue and it was fixed. There are probably many owners with the 300 with no issues. Hence it's more like a TSB issued like auto mfg's. Many car makers issues TSB's in lieu of a recall and only the people who complain about the problem have it fixed. Not a whole recall. Is this right? Who knows. I have no idea how long this has been going on with the 300 series. Most dealers probably don't know until Dometic sends out info. Most of us on here called Dometic directly myself included so my dealer has no idea I had 2 300 series toilets replaced within the first week of having my 5er.
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #69

from what I found out its what you call a "QUIET TSB"... dealers have no clue but will bill you if no issues can be found....both dealers said they have never heard of toilets doing what the 300 is doing...I seriously looked at lighting it on fire...the smell was >>>>>>>no words can describe it....
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #70

I understand patkins point as far as communication between FR and their dealers. My dealer didn't even know there was a recall on the awning motors until I told them. They did contact FR right away, ordered a new one and replaced it. While we were waiting for the replacement install the salesman was checking their lot inventory to correct any other motors.
While Dometic did take care of me right away, its hard to imagine they can't get it right the first time after all these years of making toilets. Is the problem Dometic quality control or FR not demanding better quality to preserve their name?