Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #61

I think after this incident FR and Dometic are at fault....they never told dealers of this problem. I phoned my dealer and they had no clue about the smelly toilets, they told me they never had a toilet give off a smell.. I pulled my toilet out on the driveway the smell is terrible on a 2014 BRAND NEW TRAILER, the smell followed the toilet and urine was dripping from the toilet. I have a toilet arriving first thing in the morning and will have a meeting with my dealer over this lack of communication with consumers......
2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #62
Missing Link

Well just picked our new puma this past Thur and noticed it had the 300. No odors yet after a 3 day trip but just waiting. Is there any way to tell off it's trapping substances while it's still installed?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #63

The only way I could tell is by the foul smell around the toilet. I have a 2014 and it only took a weekend camp to find out I had a problem .
The Wood Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #64

I just had look at my 300 its sitting in the back under the water line it was 2 inches deep. Just take the toilet off and check if any urine is visible....
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Roads View Post
I have a new 2014 Grey Wolf 26BH with a Model 300 Dometic toilet with the same problem. Our dealer here in Ontario quickly replaced it with another Model 300 and after 3 days of use, we had the same smell issue. I found all these similar posts here in the FR Forum and let him know. He never heard of the problem, and is sending me a new Model 310 ASAP. The Dometic distributer in Brantford said they are also unaware, although the Dometic Rep in the previous posts in the US, is very aware. I don't understand why FR is not demanding Dometic to re-call these units?
FR is like GM of the 90's arrogant... and does not care this is my second FR brand new trailer in 3 years and my LAST..... The toilet was on the list of 15 issues with my trailer the problems are quality control and communication.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #66

No recall yet probably for the same reasons auto manufacturers issues TSB's rather than recalls. It's cheaper to take care of the select people having issues rather than recall everything. Dometic has been handling this well so far. Everyone on here who has had issues with the 300 seem to have been taken care of in a timely fashion. It's frustrating. I had mine done also on my '14 model. I don't think FR is entirely to blame. They source these parts from several manufactures. No matter what brand rv, they are mostly the same components when it comes to appliances and fixtures.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
No recall yet probably for the same reasons auto manufacturers issues TSB's rather than recalls. It's cheaper to take care of the select people having issues rather than recall everything. Dometic has been handling this well so far. Everyone on here who has had issues with the 300 seem to have been taken care of in a timely fashion. It's frustrating. I had mine done also on my '14 model. I don't think FR is entirely to blame. They source these parts from several manufactures. No matter what brand rv, they are mostly the same components when it comes to appliances and fixtures.

My point I have owned 2 FR products in 3 years first one titanic took on water....FR new of problem but sat till you the customer snapped...Toilet issue my dealer had no CLUE of this issue..... I told them of issue...that is a BIG issue between FR and Dometic. Dometic handled issues YES I agree. But FR never notified dealers in Canada from what I found out today. I talked with FR dealer north of me NO CLUE...My dealer NO CLUE.. I remember a movie I watched 10 plus years ago manufacture weighed option over fixing and over paying out lawsuits in court.... FR and Dometic are sitting on fence you phone you get replaced you have no clue you do not get fixed.... That is my issue.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #68

That was my point, you had an issue and it was fixed. There are probably many owners with the 300 with no issues. Hence it's more like a TSB issued like auto mfg's. Many car makers issues TSB's in lieu of a recall and only the people who complain about the problem have it fixed. Not a whole recall. Is this right? Who knows. I have no idea how long this has been going on with the 300 series. Most dealers probably don't know until Dometic sends out info. Most of us on here called Dometic directly myself included so my dealer has no idea I had 2 300 series toilets replaced within the first week of having my 5er.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #69

from what I found out its what you call a "QUIET TSB"... dealers have no clue but will bill you if no issues can be found....both dealers said they have never heard of toilets doing what the 300 is doing...I seriously looked at lighting it on fire...the smell was >>>>>>>no words can describe it....
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #70

I understand patkins point as far as communication between FR and their dealers. My dealer didn't even know there was a recall on the awning motors until I told them. They did contact FR right away, ordered a new one and replaced it. While we were waiting for the replacement install the salesman was checking their lot inventory to correct any other motors.
While Dometic did take care of me right away, its hard to imagine they can't get it right the first time after all these years of making toilets. Is the problem Dometic quality control or FR not demanding better quality to preserve their name?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #71
Resident Masshole

Another Model 300 owner here. Last trip out we had some odor issues, but after dumping the tank they went away, so I didn't think much of it until stumbling across this thread.

So I called Dometic Sanitation @ 800-321-9886, spoke to Karen, and my new Model 310 toilet ships today, 2 day ground, will have by Friday.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #72

calling tomorrow, center closed as of now. Has same issue as Force, but don't want to have regrets later.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #73

toilet arrived in 18 Hours from ordering.....the funny and disapointing thing my dealer called FR and they had no clue of issues with Dometic 300 toilets... when was dometic going to tell them they have failing toilets...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #74

I purchased a 2003 29rlbs about 18 months ago. I did everything to try and eliminate the odor. Finally I followed my nose to the source underneath the lavatory. There are two breather pipes that terminate with a slotted top. I put plastic wrap around the one with the odor and it is gone. I remove the plastic when dumping.
jdecanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #75

After reading this thread I went out and yup - we have a 300 model too. Explains why despite many cleanings it still smells.

I talked to Dometic and they referred me to Sealander 1-800-321-9886 as noted by Force above. They are replacing my 300 with the porcelain 310 at NO COST TO ME and shipping direct to our house. We will have it Friday. She even told me that the 300's trap urine in them. Told me to just throw out the other one.

Some one should make a sticky about this issue.....
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtreible View Post
Our brandy new 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS started emitting the dreaded urine odor on day three of our first shakedown trip. Drove me mad trying to find the cause/cure. I found this post thank God! I first called my dealer and the service dept. didn't have a clue about the 300 toilets. Hoping a call to Dometic first thing Monday AM will get the ball rolling with an overnight replacement as we are headed down to Myrtle Beach on Thursday for five days.

This morning I removed the 300 toilet because you couldn't stand to be in the TT. Sure enough, when I flipped it over out in the woods about a pint of yellow foul smelling waste drained out from the top. BTW: I wouldn't recommend draining this stuff in your driveway :-( Will post results of Dometic's response in a few days.
I was able to reach Diane at Dometic early Monday. She must like her job despite having to deal with disgruntled toilet owners. She's very cheerful and went the extra mile to express ship a replacement 310 in-time for our trip later in the week. It arrived on-schedule and in about 20 mins. it was up and running. It feels a lot better than the 300 as the bowl is porcelain and not rickety plastic. It worked fine over our five day beach trip to Myrtle Beach SP over Labor Day. I agree with the line of reasoning that Dometic/Forest River should be pro-active on this instead of forcing customers to waste their time trying to 1) identify the problem and; 2) figure out how to get it fixed. Thank God for this forum/thread!!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post

Some one should make a sticky about this issue.....
Good suggestion, QuietTimes

I stuck the thread and renamed it "Dometic model 300 odor problem and replacement"

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #78

Didn't think I had any problems since the camper is brand new, but after using the trailer one time when we got back I stuck my head near the toilet and smelled what everyone else has mentioned. Talked to Diane also and got my replacement in two days. She was great to deal with and was really expecting some type of hassle but this was the best experience I have had with a company on a warranty issue. Got the new 310 installed and when I took out the old 300 I could hear the water sloshing around in it, so be careful when handling it. The new one is much sturdier than the old one. If it hadn't been for this thread wouldn't have known about this problem/fix.
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #79

ours was manufactured at the end of july 2013 so it looks like they still are
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #80

Just wanted to chime in ad thank everyone for this thread! Took our first trip in our new 2014 Grey Wolf 26bh over Labor Day weekend. Got home, and a few days later went into the camper and it smelled like a litter box. Traced the smell back to the rear of the toilet. Thinking there was some kind of venting problem, I came online to research the problem, and found this thread. That was on Friday night. Called Dometic today, spoke to Heidi, and a new 310 will be delivered tomorrow! Just needed the serial number from the loo. Surprisingly she didn't want the stinky one back, said it could be recycled.

For what it's worth, our trailer was manufactured in March 2013, so hopefully they're not still putting this model toilet in new campers...

Thanks again!

~Mike

Mikeschultz85 is offline   Reply With Quote