Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #141

Well the dometic 300 in my 2014 Salem joined the noxious odor club after our first trip out. I am taking back to the dealer for another issue so I am going to have them look at that also. I called them today as a courtesy so as to not spring it in them when I get there as I am 2 hours from them. The service manager said it will only smell if there is a leak. I said not necessarily and read this thread. Guess I will see what they say. I may end up doing what most of those in here did and deal with dometic myself.
07roo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #142

Call Dometic and they will send you the upgraded one. Install it in about 10 minutes. Bet the dealer whines about it? Get to know your TT and do a lot of work yourself. It's more rewarding and less aggravating.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #143

Not an better than the old 300

Got a new one several months ago and installed it when I thought maybe I should just pay for a 320. but she assured me "oh no sir, it's fixed" no it is Not. Used. It this morning, went to do some stuff today and this after noon came home to a camper that smelled worse than a latrine at ft Jackson. The new 300 has the exact same problem as the old one. Guess I get to do the same change out as last time. I have never been so let down with a purchase of something as I have this Salem camper. POS. crooked axles, worn out tires (600.00) leaking water lines, intermittent operating tongue jack, incorrectly wired tv coax, no spare, no ladder, wow thanks Jeff couch. Should be Jeff ouch.

We went on about 4 trips before it failed. so at least it made 4 more than The original design. I guess you could say its better ...lol sorta huh?
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #144

We just finished our ALCAN trip, and had Dometic ship our new 300 toilet to Whitehorse, YT. It has been in use for a month every day, and no odor. I did look at the insides and can see where they made changes to fix the problem. I called Dometic directly, and they were very prompt and helpful.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
We just finished our ALCAN trip, and had Dometic ship our new 300 toilet to Whitehorse, YT. It has been in use for a month every day, and no odor. I did look at the insides and can see where they made changes to fix the problem. I called Dometic directly, and they were very prompt and helpful.
Well I put the inspection mirror in the opening and sure enough it is full of raw sewage just like before. Won't be another 300 going in Incan promise you that. I'll just put a funnel in the hole where the toilet was and put a ping ping ball in it between uses
A&P
Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #146

Diane doing what she does, making people happy.

called Diane at dometic, she of course made it right with some serial number inspection and hopefully will have a new one by the week end. a tip for those with any Dometic 300 foul odor is to tear open a chem bag and put it in the back of the toilet at the access opening to get you through your trip if its only a few days. this clears up the foul unbearable stench but obviously does nothing to fix the problem. but it sure makes the unit usable.

If the rest of the RV industry could learn from this lady this would be a much more enjoyable hobby. I cant begin to imagine the number of people that hear horror stories like the worn out tires in 2000 miles and think na, nevermind.
A&P
Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #147

new 310 installed.

well the new 300 leaked, the new 310 is installed. required some modding but its good to go now. they did actually change the 300 but the problem is it is just to flimsy to support a 220 lb man and the plastic distorts enough to allow leakage into the outer bowl when you lean on it a little.

I have to say the 310 is light years ahead of the 300. Sitting on this one is like sitting on one in a home.

with lid removed the water valve still hit the wall. i thought that someone sitting on it would eventually break it so i relieved the wall around the valve with a hammer and a chisel.

needed about an additional inch of space but trimmed cover and notched the wall to accommodate since moving the floor opening wasn't an option.

the clamp placement interfered with the wall. I did not want to attempt to move the clamp so I cut a hole in the wall. I should have looked at the other two valves I have to see if the clamp placement was the same. But when its 110degrees in there you don't want to stay around any longer than you have to.

final fitment after trimming the toilet lid with the band saw to finish install.

nothing wrong here. dig a little deeper for the real problem. the real problem is the toilet simply can not support a 220lb man. it distorts and allows leakage when you lean on the toilet.

the improvement was to add a spacer that would prevent the o-ring from spiraling. the new square cut to x profile rings still did not prevent leakage into the bowl cavity.the correct stack up may be spacer first then o-ring but shown like this for a parts count

A&P
Old 06-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #148

Nice work. I just didn't want to do all that work to retrofit the 310. So far we have ha no problems with the upgraded 300 but if we do, I will have to do the modification as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
Nice work. I just didn't want to do all that work to retrofit the 310. So far we have ha no problems with the upgraded 300 but if we do, I will have to do the modification as well.

it wasn't bad at all. a dremel with a drywall router bit would make light work of it. surely you know someone with a band-saw or have one your self for a nice clean cut. but you could do it with a hand saw.

But, as long as you don't lean to one side to do the paper work you should be good to go. I am afraid you will have it fail again. just remember to slip a pack of the tank treatment in the opening in the back to get you through your trip.

the little extra work is waaaaaay worth the difference in the two units. i would do it again in a heartbeat. I am just delighted that Diane at Dometic was so helpful in me getting this fixed for good. it was really becoming a point of some serious dissatisfaction.
A&P
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #150

Dometic 300 toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperk100 View Post
This is my fifth RV. For the past twenty years I have only rarely used any chemicals. I have never had an odor problem. This odor is very strong. This has nothing to do with how I maintain the system. Something is defective. I do always have water in the black tank.
Thank goodness for all these posts. June 2014. I was able to come to the dealer prepared. My story is much like others. I am experienced RVer with a brand new 2014 Forest River FR3 with bad odor problem. I had never had odor problem before and all the obvious things that could cause it were clean and dry. Had to be the toilet (Dometic 300) so I came here to the forum. Found others with same problem and solution.

When I went to dealer, he did not trust that I knew what I was talking about, but after checking all the obvious, agreed to pull the toilet. He checked and showed me all the things that could be maintained and they all worked. He even turned it upside down and it was dry. I decided to take pictures for my records and when I turned it on its back a gallon of urine spilled out - trapped between housing parts. Dealer could not believe it and tried to figure out how it could happen - what leaks? I called Forest River, then Dometic, then Sealand Dometic. All were nice and prompt. The Sealand Dometic rep, did not even need to hear my story after I told her the model number. She simply asked for the serial number and said I will ship you a new one. She talked to dealer about warranty paperwork to take care of payment.

I will post again after it is installed to let you know if all goes well.
Z Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #151

That's why I have gone to the pains to document it so completely. Even once I had it fixed I thought sharing the findings may help others,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Maze View Post
Thank goodness for all these posts. June 2014. I was able to come to the dealer prepared. My story is much like others. I am experienced RVer with a brand new 2014 Forest River FR3 with bad odor problem. I had never had odor problem before and all the obvious things that could cause it were clean and dry. Had to be the toilet (Dometic 300) so I came here to the forum. Found others with same problem and solution.

When I went to dealer, he did not trust that I knew what I was talking about, but after checking all the obvious, agreed to pull the toilet. He checked and showed me all the things that could be maintained and they all worked. He even turned it upside down and it was dry. I decided to take pictures for my records and when I turned it on its back a gallon of urine spilled out - trapped between housing parts. Dealer could not believe it and tried to figure out how it could happen - what leaks? I called Forest River, then Dometic, then Sealand Dometic. All were nice and prompt. The Sealand Dometic rep, did not even need to hear my story after I told her the model number. She simply asked for the serial number and said I will ship you a new one. She talked to dealer about warranty paperwork to take care of payment.

I will post again after it is installed to let you know if all goes well.
A&P
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #152

How have some of you guys still been able to get 310s for replacement when I thought they're only replacing the defective 300s with newer 300s?
I undoubtedly have the same faulty 300 model as you all on my 2014 21dk roo, but as a 250lb man, I have no desire for another plastic toilet. I would much rather have something sturdier but I'm also concerned about the size of the 310 and my quite-small bathroom.

2012 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4X4
2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

BadgerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #153

Don't know since the 310 would not fit. I would take major modifications to the bathroom wall behind the commode to accommodate the extra length. Apparently the bolts on the 310 are further forward than the 300. I wasn't ready to make those mods. My understanding of the issue is when we full figured fellas lean from side to side, it twists the connection and allows liquids to leak into the voids in the commode. So...I simply plop my rather full figured arse right down with specific aim so as not to wiggle and twist. So far we have had no issues with the updated 300. It's beats a "Luggable Loo" with a five gallon bucket. Lol

Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRoo View Post
How have some of you guys still been able to get 310s for replacement when I thought they're only replacing the defective 300s with newer 300s?
I undoubtedly have the same faulty 300 model as you all on my 2014 21dk roo, but as a 250lb man, I have no desire for another plastic toilet. I would much rather have something sturdier but I'm also concerned about the size of the 310 and my quite-small bathroom.
MODIFICATION Was needed. It was minor for my unit. It is detailed a few posts back 1-2 pages back. Mine was replaced with a 310 because I already had a "new 300" and as you can see in the pics it was indeed an upgraded version. I was careful not to lean and it made 4-5 camping trips before it failed. If you will be careful it may not fail but that is rediculous to me. The new toilet (310) is like sitting on a tree stump. It ain't going anywhere. It is also cleaner with the annular discharge flush water. I would imagine if enough of the 300-1 s fail they will send out 310s until they improve the 300
A&P
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #155
DW's 401(k) Plan

Thanks to all who posted previously...

As the header says, Thanks to everyone for posting your issues AND to those of you who posted the Dometic contact (Diane) and the phone number (800-321-9886). I found myself with the same smelly issue and after a call to Diane this morning, she stated a new Model 300 (with the new design) will be shipped tomorrow with delivery hopefully Friday.

Looks like I have some minor work to do over the weekend.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #156

It's an easy job. Two nuts on the base and the water line. Be sure to bleed off the water pressure BEFORE you back off the water pipe. Have a few towels on hand as you will still get water dripping from the pipe. The. Gingerly walk that old 300 outside making sure you don't tip it from side to side.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #157
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
It's an easy job. Two nuts on the base and the water line. Be sure to bleed off the water pressure BEFORE you back off the water pipe. Have a few towels on hand as you will still get water dripping from the pipe. The. Gingerly walk that old 300 outside making sure you don't tip it from side to side.

Yep... had my son out at the Flagstaff this evening and we were discussing that very thing. I told him I wanted a heavy-duty 30 gal garbage bag sitting outside the bathroom door for when we take the toilet out. We discussed who was going to be where and doing what.

Fortunately, with the 27BESS it's about 5'-6' feet max straight out the back door!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #158

Haha. That still 5'/6' to trip and fall. Sorry but that's my luck. Like toast and peanut butter. When you drop the slice of toast, does it fall peanut butter up or down? Needless to say I clean a lot of peanut butter off the floor (well my puppy does). Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #159

Rock Star Status or Premium Customer Service on Toilet Issue

Well, it finally happened that the toilet in the main bathroom of our Heritage Glen 356qbq over the last week or so started emitting the nasty odor that you all have been talking about. After some investigation and tank flushing and deodorizing the smell was still there...nasty. So I too called Dometic's Dianne and after providing serial numbers for both toilets as I could get behind the problem one to read the tag she said she will send me out 2 replacement ones and to destroy the old ones as they don't need them back. But please remove the lid, valve, and something else for spare parts. Where should I ship them to? I live in Canada and she then tells me they will be shipped from their Ontario warehouse. Wow is all I can say. A lot of companies can take a lesson from Dometic on how to treat their customers. High 5 and Cudos to them. Thanks.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #160

Diane is wonderful. My experience with them was awesome.