Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #1

Dometic Toilet 300 Series - Replacement Seat

We have a new FR TT with a Dometic Model 300 toilet. This appears to be their lowest level, basic quality toilet. My wife wants to replace the plastic seat with a wooden one. My research online (Camping World, Amazon, etc.) only shows wooden seats for the higher models such as the 310. Even Dometic customer service says the only seat is the original style plastic. Can anyone either confirm there is no alternative or point me to a wooden one that will fit?
Thanks!
Ted
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
We have a new FR TT with a Dometic Model 300 toilet. This appears to be their lowest level, basic quality toilet. My wife wants to replace the plastic seat with a wooden one. My research online (Camping World, Amazon, etc.) only shows wooden seats for the higher models such as the 310. Even Dometic customer service says the only seat is the original style plastic. Can anyone either confirm there is no alternative or point me to a wooden one that will fit?
Thanks!
Ted
I would read the sticky at the top of this forum regarding the Dometic 300. Just last night I had to replace mine because of the known seal issue between the toilet bowl and the base. I had about a quart of sewage trapped in the base that was causing a smell that I wont even begin to describe. I replaced it with the 310 which has a nice ceramic bowl. I can say after installing it that it feels like a much more sturdier and comfortable toilet. From what the other posters have said in that thread, Dometic will replace any model 300 with a 310 free of charge.
ckramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

ckramps, was your recent replacement under warranty? My trailer is only 3 months old and now that I have read some posts, we did have a funny smell in the bathroom after our last trip, just last week. After running about 30 gallons of clean water down the toilet to test my black water tank indicator light, I noticed the smell was gone. Do you think Dometic will replace my 300 with a 310 at no charge?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
ckramps, was your recent replacement under warranty? My trailer is only 3 months old and now that I have read some posts, we did have a funny smell in the bathroom after our last trip, just last week. After running about 30 gallons of clean water down the toilet to test my black water tank indicator light, I noticed the smell was gone. Do you think Dometic will replace my 300 with a 310 at no charge?
I'm sure it would've been but I was in a pinch. Dometic's business hours were over and the dealership said I would need to bring the trailer to them and then work out any warrantied replacement with Dometic. I just went to one of the hardware stores in the area that has a camping section and they had 310's there.

People in that thread have described situations where their unit has 2 toilets with only 1 of them smelling, but Dometic just replaced both of them. So I would say yes. If you tell Dometic that your model 300 toilet is the cause of a sewage smell in your RV they will probably replace it. At the least I would say it's worth your 10 minutes on the phone with them to try it since the new toilet I bought was $220. Almost everybody says that Dometic will ship the new toilet with the fastest method possible.
ckramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Replace it with a 310 and get the wood seat.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

So has anyone replaced the 300 with a 310 themselves or do I need a dealer?
How easy is it to do myself?
Ted
Old 07-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

20 min job. Two bolts and remove/reconnect water line. I think wax gasket comes with init, if not, buy a new one.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Doubtful on both counts. I called them this week as we started having issue with our 300. You have to give them the serial number to check and see if its covered. Our trailer is a 2013, which was the timeframe of the issue. The woman I talked to said they would ship me a brand new model 300 the next day. She had a fairly detailed explanation of the design changes to the 300 that they felt fixed the odor issues. I think once they got the 300 re-designed they stopped the free upgrades to the 310.

I would have liked the 310 if it fit (I think its slightly longer) but I felt like a free replacement on a toilet over 3 years old was a pretty fair offer, so I didn't push the issue.

If you already have a re-designed 300, you are probably stuck with buying a better model.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, replacement