Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #1

Dometic Toilet Flush Trap Failure

The "trap door" in my toilet seems to no longer be connected to the pedal. It can be moved manually with no problem, and the pedal turns on water just fine. Anyone already know how to fix this?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #2

is this a model 310 toilet?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

What model toilet?

There is either a wire, cable, or direct connection that connects the flush arm/lever to the flush valve and trap door. depending on model.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...tdataid=106247

http://www.dometic.com/5681e2be-9661...e49a220e.fodoc
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Thanks! Yes, it's a model 310. I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm
looking at. Here's two pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3470359561.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	31719

This is where the pedal inserts. You're looking at the end if the ball-valve arm. What are the two white things? (Note that there has never been a "hard connection" between the pedal and the valve. I had thought there was a spring connecting it.

This is the inside of the pedal that plugs in to the previous picture. The spring is just the pedal return I think.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1285208413.jpg
Views:	1811
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	31720

I guess my next step is to try and remove the valve. I hope I don't drop it into the tank! From what I read in my Dometic manual, it sounds like it should pull out from the top.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

My pedal shaft broke the first time we used it. i called Dometic for parts and they had a dealer replace the whole toilet assembly. I think it is a 310( one with the ceramic bowl)
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

Do not remove valve
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

The white plunger thing is the water valve. The cam rotates and presses it in releasing water to the flusher.

It looks like the center part of the mechanism (on the toilet side) is broken off.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

I suspect that the screw you removed that was under the cover that you pryed off was not secure. The flush control for the luush flapper is isolated completely from the water valve. The spring is the key for flush handle return and the screw is what holds the flush flapper in place.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

You have to hold the flapper ball fully closed (from inside the toilet) and insert the flush handle into the cavity with tension on the return spring to hold the handle up. Install the tiny screw and secure gingerly (don't over tighten).
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

The connection between the flush handle and flapper is purely mechanical, no spring interlock. The spring in the handle is for the handle return control.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #11

I just noticed those 2 white things and if they are just lying loose the you are sort of sol. If their loose then they are tabs that would be part of the flapper ball shaft and are what interlock with the flush handle indentations for flapper ball control.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Ok. Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions. Here's the final result.

When I laid down on the floor (sure wish these old eyes could still focus close up!!) I touched those little white pieces and discovered that they just fall out (held by silicon grease). They are plastic and are supposed to be part of the ball valve arm. Those are what meshed into the slot at the end of the pedal shaft. They are broken off.
(So now I know that my observation that there has never been a hard connection between the pedal and valve means that this has been wrong for a very long time, perhaps only the screw was loose.)

So I call Dometic Customer Support (very nice people) and asked for the part number of that ball valve, the plan being to call around and see if a local dealer near this campground had it. She gave me the part number. I then asked the nice parts person to verify that the valve comes out thru the top. She didn't know but gave me a phone number for the Sanitation department. I told that (again very nice) person what was going in and asked about removal.

She told me that the ball valve cannot be removed on this toilet. It is installed before the plastic and ceramic parts are joined together (and those are never to be split). They have to replace the toilet.

Since it's under warranty (serial number was enough to verify it was less than 2 years old) they are shipping me a new one free of charge from a Dallas warehouse. My new toilet will be delivered to the campground tomorrow!

Dometic Customer Service is TOP NOTCH!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Always Learning

Barry, I had a similar experience and have only good things to say about their service. I was given the option of having my toilet shipped to me for install or them sending it directly to a service facility near me. I opted for that and with no money out of my pocket, it was installed.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I just noticed those 2 white things and if they are just lying loose the you are sort of sol. If their loose then they are tabs that would be part of the flapper ball shaft and are what interlock with the flush handle indentations for flapper ball control.
Bubbles,
you certainly know your stuff! I was typing my post when you made yours. Thanks for instructions for reinstalling the pedal/spring so I can get water in tonight.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #15

New toilet installed. Thanks Dometic!

I did discover that the ball-valve part can be removed (and re-installed) thru the bottom opening of the toilet. It gets deformed a bit going thru the hole but is quite flexible. Maybe they're concerned that it might not close against the seal properly after that. Still, if you're out of warranty, I'd probably buy that $22 part instead of a whole new toilet (at least as a try).